Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo hunting

Default Buffalo hunting

went down to Delta today to hunt buffalo's and dint see anything! If anyone has any info about them and were they haven been seen, it would be great. I am going to calling the farmers soon and getting them to allow me to hunt. I was told they were being seen on both Gerstal and panoramic fields, and we didn't see anything. So any info would be great. I can't go back till next Monday, so I will be calling a bunch of people and the hot line number to get info.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Those buffalo move around a lot, even over the course of a few hours. When we hunted Delta a couple of years ago, we spent a fair amount of time cycling between four fields we had permission to hunt. We'd hunt an area hard for a morning, move onto the next area, and then suddenly we'd see a herd standing right in the middle of a field we had scoured only a couple of hours earlier. The point being, they are where they are...and are very tough to predict or pattern. (At least in my limited experience.) Some folks fill their permit on the first morning, but it is just as common to spend a week or more of effort before being able to connect. Get permission to hunt as many fields as possible, then drive, glass, hike, repeat. Sitting and watching can pay dividends, but so can covering ground. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

Took us four trips to get it done last season. You gotta spend some time there if you want to get it done. Hope you get lucky and get one, but to make sure you fill the tag I would plan at least one 3 day plus hunt.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Had a good report on the herd last week at the AC meeting, and a very good explanation of what they called the " being hunted mode" the Buffs, go into. he explained quite well that they KNOW when they are being hunted and WOOD up... as in head for the heavy timber during parts of the day ,,, one of the fields had young oats in it this year and was hit well... look for the states Turnip field... they like the turnips AFTER the frost has killed them.. and get in touch with the farmers... those that will let you hunt will also help you.. and remember it is NOW legal to use cell phones and ground communication to locate and hunt the delta bison.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

they definitely know when they are being hunted. I took one a couple of years ago and had to hunt hard for four days to get it. They seem to go semi nocturnal during the hunting season. they like to spend the day in the timbe and swamps, and go through the fields at night. I finally got mine in the morning by studying a small groups habits, they followed a similar route every night/day, and I placed myself to intercept them. Best part was I got to take mine with my kids. Shot a 2 1/2 year old bull. Smaller but every scrap of him was fork tender. I had been sighted in on a four year old, but he spooked and they all headed for the woods, I decided to take the young bull that offered himself up with a broadside at just under three hundred yards. I wanted my kids to see and be a part of the hunt. Try the gerstal fields across the river. start at the north end in the morning and move south. but be sure to get permission on the fields. most of the farmers are friendly, and its their land so respect it.

what are you using for the hunt, I took mine with a 250 grain Interlock in my 338 WM. He was standing next the swamps, so I took him through the shoulder to put him down. The bullet hit rib, shoulder bone, spine, shoulder bone and rib again and still passed through the other side with a 1 inch exit hole. I lost about 5 pounds of meet, but he went down and never twiched again. Those interlocks are amazing, the bullet held together well, and performed BEAUTIFULLY AT ABOUT 300 YARDS.

Default Gerstal fields

Where on gerstal is the river? I went down the trail and never found any river. I must not be going down far enough, but how far and at what mile post do I need to go? Can i get to the river on the panoramic fields? Where is the swamp's? Like I said I have only been down there for 1 day and am not that familiar with the layout yet. I will going down there Saturday afternoon, after talking with the better half, till Wednesday. So I will be down there for a long stretch and am planning on calling, or stopping by and talking with a bunch of farmers, Friday. I am shooting a .300 win mag with 200 grain ammo. I don't think I will have any problems on that front, but I will make sure I have nothing behind it, if I have that chance. Thanks for everything guys!

Gerstle Fields are just West of the Gerstle River....check your bison hunters map......but I think what fishfool meant was the Cummings Road Fields.....your map will provide you landowner names and numbers.

I think the swamp referred to are the black spruce forests surrounding most of the fields.

It took me 6 days of hunting to down my bull. Three trips, 1 for recon 2 for hunting. Yes you can use cell phones but reception is iffy once you leave Delta. If you want more info P.M. me and I'll give you my phone number.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

You mean they weren't right there, waiting to be shot??

We hunted them this past weekend, our first outing. We ran into no less than 8 hunters in the panoramics. I imagine some were looking for Bison and some cow moose.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

No cow moose hunting in that area this year.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    No cow moose hunting in that area this year.
    Sounds like a lot of pressure on the bison then, which you'd expect. We left as soon as we saw all the traffic and hit some farm land. Found a big herd of them, but they were on property that wasn't open to hunting ~ or so says the guide that ADF&G put out. We did put a stalk on a herd the next day but weren't able to seal the deal. Will be back in a couple weeks hopefully.

I'll tell you what, just being on the ground with these things is too cool, they are truely an amazing critter.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default Great hunting year for you!

Glad you're getting out on that bison tag J. Is T hunting that with you; strong as you are I can't see you getting it out without him.... And is his 4 wheeler back running again? Hope so; it was a nice one.... well, until it wasn't....

Please post lots of pictures from your hunt J !!!!!

I also hunted hard last weekend for bison. Didin't see any. We hit the Gerstle and panoramic fields. We also hunted on Schults land for a day. We hunted tract 3 on their land. Lots of sign on their land. It was frusterating given the amount of ground we covered and didn't see anything. For those of you that have the permit but haven't been there yet, and you have to drive the richardson highway, it was pretty slick between Paxson and Balck Rapids.

Rookies, lol, just kidding

The hunt is tougher than you think. Good luck all.

Default went down there

So i spent 4 days down in delta area and saw 80 moose and only 1 buffalo. It was small and I didn't get to look it over good enough for a shot. I understand I have till March, but boy is it frustrating. I just need to be patient. We spend most of our time on private lands and still didn't see anything. We walked and found there "highway" but no buffalo's. We had to come back a day early due to a stove issue, it almost burnt our tent down. I will be going back down there on the 2nd and I hope I see more animals this time around. Thanks everyone, who was nice and helpful for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    So i spent 4 days down in delta area and saw 80 moose and only 1 buffalo. It was small and I didn't get to look it over good enough for a shot. I understand I have till March, but boy is it frustrating. I just need to be patient. We spend most of our time on private lands and still didn't see anything. We walked and found there "highway" but no buffalo's. We had to come back a day early due to a stove issue, it almost burnt our tent down. I will be going back down there on the 2nd and I hope I see more animals this time around. Thanks everyone, who was nice and helpful for all the help.
    Great job hangin' in there J - you and T will find'm, I know you will. Have that camera with you; you only get one time ever in your life (usually) to get some pictures next to your downed buffalo.

When did we get buffalo in Alaska? Have I missed out on some drawing opportunities? I put in for Bison every year, but had no idea we have buffalo in this state!

To all the buff hunters, it is supposed to snow pertty good tonight and that will give you a good chance this weekend if you come down.

Also there is a war going on in Delta all night long, lol. They are shooting off rounds all weekend at all times of the day. Just thought I'd throw that in. ( some big ones to, rattle the windows)

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    When did we get buffalo in Alaska? Have I missed out on some drawing opportunities? I put in for Bison every year, but had no idea we have buffalo in this state!
    What is the difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast