Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's brown and it's down!!

Default It's brown and it's down!!

Nothing huge but I got a bear this year at least. Thanks to Joe and his constant bashing on every little detail, I will not put too much detail in the story....

16B 300 win mag 180gr trophy bonded bear claw one shot kill

Anyone know where I can get some peroxide?

CIMG0142.jpg

Sweet brownie good job on the one shot kill!!!

I just picked some peroxide up at Marie's beauty supply down by Sears. Sounded like they have a number of people coming in asking what peroxide to use for bleaching skulls.

Good Bear.
    But....if you wanted a Blonde one, why did you shoot a Brown one?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Sweet brownie good job on the one shot kill!!!

I just picked some peroxide up at Marie's beauty supply down by Sears. Sounded like they have a number of people coming in asking what peroxide to use for bleaching skulls.
    Thx bronco....I will check there. Did you get liquid or the 2 part paste?

You can get it at Sallys beauty supply in Wasilla next to Target. Get the .40 Vol Gel, The skull needs to be cleaned and totally degreased, bears take upwards of 3-6 months ot degreasing to get all the grease and oils out of the back of the head, lower jaw, etc.. Heat the water to 110-120 degrees and use a good degreaser such as (clear) dawn dishsoap.. change the water weekly or when it becomes cloudy. When you think you have it good.. Minimum 3 months, let it dry, if their is a dark stain, usually near the back of the skull, and the lower back half of the lower jaw then continue. Once it is grease free.. I soak in Industrial strength ammonia for 24-36 hours. Let dry completely.. then add the volumizer and wrap in saran wrap or place in a 2 gallon ziplock baggie.. Use sufficent amount.. a gallon cost 12 bucks. put in fromt of a heat source.. ie Sun, or a heating element.. the heat activates the chemicals and works better.. Let sit and rotate for a couple hours.. let soak in the stuff in the bag overnight or for a day.. take out and rinse in HOT water, let dry.. may take 1-2 days... once dry and its as white as you wish, use a sealer.. Modge podge found at any hobby store in a gloss or semi gloss mixed with water works well.. Krylon clear gloss works also and is what I personally use for bears.. Hit it with a flash coat, once dry, you can make it as glossy as you wish. Something to note.. DO NOT BOIL.. the skull, either find a person who has dermistid beetles or soak in a bucket of water and let it rot.. or mascerate.. Heat such as boiling water breaks down the bone cells.. and it will FLAKE... and look like CRAP.. dont take any shortcuts, do it right and it will last forever.. if you need any more details or another chemical you can add to the peroxide to really make it WHITE>. shoot me a PM>.

Ohh congrats on a nice bear..

Sweet Bear! Good to see I'm not the only one using the old Ruger zytel stock. Ugly as heck, but accurate and durable.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    Thx bronco....I will check there. Did you get liquid or the 2 part paste?
    I got the liquid but have not used it yet still cleaning up the skull then need to degrease it.

Thanks for this detailed reply Hoytguy thats awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    You can get it at Sallys beauty supply in Wasilla next to Target. Get the .40 Vol Gel, The skull needs to be cleaned and totally degreased, bears take upwards of 3-6 months ot degreasing to get all the grease and oils out of the back of the head, lower jaw, etc.. Heat the water to 110-120 degrees and use a good degreaser such as (clear) dawn dishsoap.. change the water weekly or when it becomes cloudy. When you think you have it good.. Minimum 3 months, let it dry, if their is a dark stain, usually near the back of the skull, and the lower back half of the lower jaw then continue. Once it is grease free.. I soak in Industrial strength ammonia for 24-36 hours. Let dry completely.. then add the volumizer and wrap in saran wrap or place in a 2 gallon ziplock baggie.. Use sufficent amount.. a gallon cost 12 bucks. put in fromt of a heat source.. ie Sun, or a heating element.. the heat activates the chemicals and works better.. Let sit and rotate for a couple hours.. let soak in the stuff in the bag overnight or for a day.. take out and rinse in HOT water, let dry.. may take 1-2 days... once dry and its as white as you wish, use a sealer.. Modge podge found at any hobby store in a gloss or semi gloss mixed with water works well.. Krylon clear gloss works also and is what I personally use for bears.. Hit it with a flash coat, once dry, you can make it as glossy as you wish. Something to note.. DO NOT BOIL.. the skull, either find a person who has dermistid beetles or soak in a bucket of water and let it rot.. or mascerate.. Heat such as boiling water breaks down the bone cells.. and it will FLAKE... and look like CRAP.. dont take any shortcuts, do it right and it will last forever.. if you need any more details or another chemical you can add to the peroxide to really make it WHITE>. shoot me a PM>.

Ohh congrats on a nice bear..

Great looking bear!!!
    Paul

Great job, STEELHED! Are you done for 4 years? And to keep with mean-spirited quesioning because you are choosing to provide very little detail; please tell me you didn't shoot toward the sun with a scoped rifle! (Heehee) Unless, maybe your "skill set", based upon years and years of experience, allows for that! ;-)

Hoytguy - you really need to immortalize that skull-bleaching post in a thread of its own so it is easily searched!

Please...
    Taylor

So..... What do you have to hide Steelhed, little details..... A One Shot Kill, and then what, or following what ??????

If you're afraid of Joe Want that bad, well, on second thought, Probably glad you didn't post it, I don't think I want to know
    ya lil' kitten, you, wouldn't want your feelings hurt, or your obvious expertise questioned or challenged

Sorry, couldn't resist a response to that entrance, Nice job on the Bear, Congrats

Not so impressed with your hunt post or commentary on one of the Elder Hunters of this state
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

To degrease the skull, let it soak in a container submerged in gasoline or white gas. If needed drill small holes on the bottom side of the jawbone to allow the grease to escape. This is how many taxidermists do it. It's quick and easy. I've done it myself on multiple bear skulls. Only need to soak for a week to ten days on a good sized blackie. Maybe longer on a brownie.
    BK

why would you DRILL holes in your skull? The whole point of a euro is leaving the animal exactly the way it was minue the flesh, grease.. making it white is just more eye appealing.. But drilling a hole is just a shortcut. You can use compressed air and hold it against the bone and it will blow some out.. keep doing it.. the bone when wet comes porus (sp?).. and the air will firce stuff gunk and oils to the surface.. Microscopic amounts.. but it comes out..

White gas and gasoline are flammable.. I operate ot of a Garage attached to my house and it holds other customers stuff also.. Reason why I use water based airbrush paints too.. (Laqure) and the other fumes are toxic and flammable.. Something to keep in mind..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Great job, STEELHED! Are you done for 4 years? And to keep with mean-spirited quesioning because you are choosing to provide very little detail; please tell me you didn't shoot toward the sun with a scoped rifle! (Heehee) Unless, maybe your "skill set", based upon years and years of experience, allows for that! ;-)

Hoytguy - you really need to immortalize that skull-bleaching post in a thread of its own so it is easily searched!

Please...
    Taylor
    Marc,
    I plan to do a tutorial with pictures of the whole process and post on here this winter when things and hunting slows up a tad.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    So..... What do you have to hide Steelhed, little details..... A One Shot Kill, and then what, or following what ??????

If you're afraid of Joe Want that bad, well, on second thought, Probably glad you didn't post it, I don't think I want to know
    ya lil' kitten, you, wouldn't want your feelings hurt, or your obvious expertise questioned or challenged

Sorry, couldn't resist a response to that entrance, Nice job on the Bear, Congrats

Not so impressed with your hunt post or commentary on one of the Elder Hunters of this state

Well was kind of my thoughts too...

nice bear... and Joe only questions those that take seemingly long shots, multiple shots, or other scenarios that could/would lead to the loss, wounding, of an animal unsureness of legality...or injury to another hunter.

they are all ethics questions we should ask our selfs prior to pulling the trigger. to often people take offense to the old fart rather then to to explain WHY they made that decision in the field...

nice bear, looks wet and hard earned.. those are always good memories.

on a side note... your all mostly lucky... you only have to face his questions on the net..... if i screw one up... i get to see him face to face

so far so good
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Marc,
    I plan to do a tutorial with pictures of the whole process and post on here this winter when things and hunting slows up a tad.
    I'll be looking forward to it, too.
    Gary

Here is a link to a DIY thread I did a while ago. I'm not an expert by no means and do also recommend methods other than boiling to remove the flesh. Also I have since learned that wrapping the skulls in plastic and using heat helps greatly in the whitening process. Reminds me I still have 2 from this spring to finish.

Good Luck

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lls?highlight=

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    Nothing huge but I got a bear this year at least. Thanks to Joe and his constant bashing on every little detail, I will not put too much detail in the story....

16B 300 win mag 180gr trophy bonded bear claw one shot kill

Anyone know where I can get some peroxide?

CIMG0142.jpg
    Congrats on the nice bear!

You really shouldn't refuse to post details on account of Joe. We all know that, if you were his client, you would have killed that bear with a 1/4 shot kill--meaning you would have shot the bear, and the penetrating bullet would have ricocheted fron the bear's pelvis and then killed three moose on the other side. He uses the Force to alter the trajectory of his client's bullets, and, at the same time, to humiliate all who do not hire him.

Just kidding.

Nice job! You dont need to explain anything to any one. How you did it as long and it was legal is no ones business if you dont want to share.

I know you used your Jedi mind control on the bear but i see nothing in the rules that say its illegal. Well done!

Hard to believe you little girls are afraid of sweet little old Joe Want. Man up you pansies. And congratulations on a successful hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast