Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nelchina herd 2

Default nelchina herd 2

Let's start a thread of good spots to go and check out and try not posting whining about I did not get one, and fish & game screwed up and so on.
    Looking at heading towards Eureka or Lake Louise area on the 21st or even looking at going the Denali route and staying at Alpine creek lodge, a lot depends on and if they get snow between now and then

You should go to the Denali hwy!!

I like the flavor of this thread already. I also think the Denali Hiwy is best right now... everyone head there first....

Well from your 10+ years of hunting/eating animals from the area I would hope you have it dialed in by now. Just kidding. I plan on helping my family that I transfer my permit to by trying to get one somewhere off the Denali hwy. Yes I realize its 135 mile long road, but atleast I narrowed it down some right??

Hit the Denali HWY!

Remember this.
    The Denali Hwy has 300 foot State of Alaska Right of Way. That means 150 feet/50 yards on either side from the center of the road is State Land. Even if it is improperly posted by AHTNA Inc or any other Private Land Owner. Caribou like to walk on the road. Make sure you and the caribou are both off the drivable surface of the road. And...the Parks Hwy is 800 feet wide. Should help open up a few new possibilities.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Akres is spot on.. AHTNA don't own the ditches.. I called in a dozen or so fox last year right in the ditch..I wasn't on the road and they were inside the big yellow signs stapled to the trees every 100 yards or so. Worked pretty slick actually. Don't know if I would chance it on a caribou though.. Someone may blast one and it take off and go 200 yards out and drop dead.. a person might find themselves in a jam trying to retrieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    You should go to the Denali hwy!!
    Absolutely. Hit the Maclaren Lodge and the area west of that before the notch. Loaded with bou whenever I'm there.
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

Need a bunch of people to head on out Thursday and break in all the trails that might have snow so I can take my Ranger. Denali Hwy definitely. Eureka - nothing to see here move along.

I've been working too much, I can't tell who's being serious and who's being sarcastic

Jon
    Still-Learning Alaskan Salmon Slayer

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

For those going Thursday are you planning to kill a rutting bull (described in other threads) or a cow?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

looks like every one here will be at lake Louise?

honestly... the caribou are grouping and moving east. through a large portion of the unit. but you have to keep in mind that they graze at 8 mph, and where they are today is not where they will be... tomorrow. +/-30,000 bou moving through the lake areas now.. who know by next week they could all be in chistochina area...

as for the bull or cow... i will be seeking a cow. preferable a yearling one at that... my 9 year old may get her first chance with her brothers .243... depending on road conditions. Denali may or may not be crossable. so the Customary and traditional route for hunting these critters...(and you need to know this to apply for CHP later) if your road hunting.. a day in the lake Louise area.. if no bou move around Glenallen to sourdough plenty of trails there to get back in also.. then around to the Denali at Paxton.. to the tangle area. Mclaren if need be...

NOW .. i have done this winter hunt many times...

it is ALWAYS crowded.. and if the herd s moving... every one gets one. share the road. do not shoot from road. you will get busted.

do not stick 30/30 out truck window and shoot at caribou... as you pass them ( also very much frowned on)

those with wheelers and snow machines ( if it snows) can get off a multitude of trails... around lake Louise sourdough, and Denali to ease the crowding... it is NOT expected to go over quota... F&G only expect 1500 or so animal to be taken this year. so you should have time

i will be down in my blue F 450... says ALASKA MONITORING all over it... with my girls... if you see me at least wave!!!... be more then willing to say hello.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We highly suggest your first option at staying at Alpine Creek Lodge! There are caribou around there, and we haven't had anyone not get thier bou. My opinion might be skewed! heh heh. On a good note, Jennifer is there, and you'll be warm and confortable every night. The road is still in good shape, with a very light smattering of snow.

Good Luck wherever you go!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    We highly suggest your first option at staying at Alpine Creek Lodge! There are caribou around there, and we haven't had anyone not get their bou. My opinion might be skewed! heh heh. On a good note, Jennifer is there, and you'll be warm and comfortable every night. The road is still in good shape, with a very light smattering of snow.

Good Luck wherever you go!
    got my reservation Claude dependent of road conditions... don't have a decent sno go anylonger... hopefully we can get in
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nelchina Caribou Hotline: 907-267-2304

These are the Professional's from our very own ADF&G, that we pay the big bucks to, to provide us with Public Information they are required to furnish by law. These guys and gals have the latest scoop on herd density and locations. They will not steer you wrong.

Should you find this useful, I will also suggest talking directly to the bio in Glennallen.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Vince - Do you know for sure what the quota actually is? I'd really rather skip the opening weekend crowds and go in early-mid November. I especially want to go that route since we're hoping to take my nephew out to get his first big game animal, and it's just not the same experience when you're road hunting with 100 of your closest friends. I'd rather go in off the Denali, maybe stay at Alpine Creek, and take a few days to do it right while also looking for birds, foxes, and hares. But...I sure don't want to wait too long and have 'em close it down if the harvest quota is less than 1,000. I've heard someone throw out 2,300 as the number, but I don't know how accurate that is. Any official word that you're aware of?

Claude - If road conditions allow when we get ready to go (or if there is enough snow to get in on snowmachines), my nephew and I (and possibly others) will be coming to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Vince - Do you know for sure what the quota actually is? I'd really rather skip the opening weekend crowds and go in early-mid November. I especially want to go that route since we're hoping to take my nephew out to get his first big game animal, and it's just not the same experience when you're road hunting with 100 of your closest friends. I'd rather go in off the Denali, maybe stay at Alpine Creek, and take a few days to do it right while also looking for birds, foxes, and hares. But...I sure don't want to wait too long and have 'em close it down if the harvest quota is less than 1,000. I've heard someone throw out 2,300 as the number, but I don't know how accurate that is. Any official word that you're aware of?

Claude - If road conditions allow when we get ready to go (or if there is enough snow to get in on snowmachines), my nephew and I (and possibly others) will be coming to see you.

brian they let 3000 tags.. the average is 50% of people report they actually hunted... they have a minimum quota as said on several occasions of 2300-3000 animals this year. they expect about 1500 due to pent up demand for the hunt. leaving a surplus for next year... but that is Dept. speak at the BOG meeting.. i would contact Becky at the Glenallen office and speak to her in person if you want the hard number and projections.

meet on face book here

Great to hear Vince! Jennifer was glad to hear that it does not appear you and Chuck will be there at the same time! heh heh!
    Brian, we'd sure like to see you back up there. We'll keep a spot open for you!
    There are plenty of caribou running around in the area!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I'll hunt them when they enter the Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    brian they let 3000 tags.. the average is 50% of people report they actually hunted... they have a minimum quota as said on several occasions of 2300-3000 animals this year. they expect about 1500 due to pent up demand for the hunt. leaving a surplus for next year... but that is Dept. speak at the BOG meeting.. i would contact Becky at the Glenallen office and speak to her in person if you want the hard number and projections.
    The quota on the hotline says a take of 2300 for the regulatory year with 704 already down.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast