Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Winchester 375 H&H Express

Default New Winchester 375 H&H Express

Anyone have or shot one of the new Winchester Express rifles in 375 or 416? I checked one out the other day and was very impressed. It was on the heavy side at 9 lbs and does not come in stainless with synthetic stock. Any ideas or comments on how well stock and finish on one of these would hold up to the wet conditions here for the guy willing to pack such a heavy rifle?

Untill the mid 1980's that was your only choice and I believe it will take some years for SS/Plastic can match total kills of Blue/Wood
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I hear you there. I really like the Win Mod 70 rifle, have an '06 Classic in stainless. So you think this would make a good all around hunting rifle for AK? I also have a Ruger MK II 338 stainless synthetic, but have an itch for a new rifle and have always wanted a 375 H & H. I really like the cartridge from shooting a buddys rifle, ballistics I have read, and the proven track record of this great old round. Opinions welcome.

Thanks

Im hoping that that all weather .375 s will be a 2011 production as I am down to one Stainless winny .375

Hands down the best 375H&H rifles to leave the Winchester since 1963. And when people tell me they won't buy a rifle unless it's SS/syn I ask them how the can hunt with so little class.

Gent over on the AR forum is selling a new Win 70 ss 375 for $800. Same price as before Winchester stopped making them.
    Tennessee

Default Beauty...

In the eye of the beholder, they say. Good looking rifle - found some pics here: http://www.gunsamerica.com/976972826...S_375_H_H.htm#. But for me -still a relative novice and in no hurry - waiting for SS is worthwhile.

As tools, whose real beauty is in how they shoot and handle, the Winchesters and other brands with similar features (CRF, 3psn safety, SS) are nonetheless on my list of druthers and 375HH, a caliber of interest for me. When pondering the pros/cons of different rifles, I moved SS up the priority list after some distressing experiences with rust on 2 blued guns, most recently on spring coastal bears. A friend shooting an SS gun also told me his SS barrel picked up some rust last year fishing coastal bears. Wow. The wood/blue guns sure are classy looking though, but corrosive effects of coastal salt air/water here (Alaska) is a significant obstacle for me buying them.

Nine pounds is not heavy.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really like the looks of the black matte finish and walnut stock on the new safari express. I do agree that stainless/synthetic provides some advantages in preventing corrosion, but I also think of all the old timers who hunted the same climates and areas with blued/walnut weapons just several decades back because that was all they had to choose from. I was thinking one of these babies would be set up nice with a Leupold VX III 1.5 X 5 with quick release mounts to take advantage of the open sights in the case of scope damage or loss of zero while in the field. I guess the 9 pound weight would help off set recoil and I have read that the rifle balances and shoulders well. With some good Barnes bullets handloads, a guy could have a good all around rifle IMHO, though probably not for the mountains on sheep or goat. Seriously thinking of picking one up!

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I really like the looks of the black matte finish and walnut stock on the new safari express. I do agree that stainless/synthetic provides some advantages in preventing corrosion, but I also think of all the old timers who hunted the same climates and areas with blued/walnut weapons just several decades back because that was all they had to choose from. I was thinking one of these babies would be set up nice with a Leupold VX III 1.5 X 5 with quick release mounts to take advantage of the open sights in the case of scope damage or loss of zero while in the field. I guess the 9 pound weight would help off set recoil and I have read that the rifle balances and shoulders well. With some good Barnes bullets handloads, a guy could have a good all around rifle IMHO, though probably not for the mountains on sheep or goat. Seriously thinking of picking one up!
    Once you have that rig decked out like you want, with a loaded magazine, a little over 10 pounds will make shooting it a really pleasant affair.
    You could easily take that rifle up and down the steep and deep. Just a tablespoon of castor oil the morning of the day before you hunt will fix you up. Your total weight will be down by over a couple pounds...trust me on this.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Anyone have or shot one of the new Winchester Express rifles in 375 or 416? I checked one out the other day and was very impressed. It was on the heavy side at 9 lbs and does not come in stainless with synthetic stock. Any ideas or comments on how well stock and finish on one of these would hold up to the wet conditions here for the guy willing to pack such a heavy rifle?

Two words: "Kimber Talkeetna".....or another two words: "Ruger Alaskan". Either way we have the H&H traditionalists or the newbie Ruger fans covered with the best of the best of .375 rifles for Alaska.

Brett

PS. Yes I've handled the new Winnies. No I haven't shot them. Yes they are alright. No I'm not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Two words: "Kimber Talkeetna".....or another two words: "Ruger Alaskan". Either way we have the H&H traditionalists or the newbie Ruger fans covered with the best of the best of .375 rifles for Alaska.

Brett

PS. Yes I've handled the new Winnies. No I haven't shot them. Yes they are alright. No I'm not impressed.

Kimber? The worst Winny will outshoot a Kimber and give you excellent customer service too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Kimber? The worst Winny will outshoot a Kimber and give you excellent customer service too.
    Interesting OPINION Ken.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Interesting OPINION Ken.

Brett
    An opinion based on hundreds of cases and not having my ego tied up in a gun. I shoot Blaser myself.

Hard to better having a .375 H&H Winchester Model 70 in Stainless/Synthetic for everything Alaska.

So some are more accurate... so some are lighter weight... so some are more or less expensive.

YET (None) (0) (zero) more reliable, practical, or handier a tool for an Alaskan All-arounder.

We could leave it at that... but guys who really try to tell ya blued/wood is a way to go nowadays with nostalgic justifications --- we already know... it's always light in Alaska, we don't drop guns, and around 3+ inches of rain per day on a coastal hunt is like Flitz on fine metal.

I have looked at the Kimbers online, but they were quite a bit more expensive than the Winchesters. As far as the Rugers new Alaskan goes, I guess I am somewhat traditional in my opinions of cartidges and do not really see any need to imptove on a perfectly good round used the world over for about 99 years now. I know others will not agree. I have read many good reviews on the 375 Ruger, but think just like the short magnum craze, the only thing they inprove on over the old originals is shorter action and decreased weight. I guess I just like the old stand by proven rounds, 30'06, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 375 H&H for component/ammo availability and proven track record. Seriously think I could get by with just a 4 rifle battery, a good 22LR bolt action, 22-250 or 223 for light stuff, 30'06, and a 375 H&H and be covered for about anything I would want to hunt or encounter. I will admit I also have the soft spot for Winchester rifles too.

Thanks for the replies guys. Great forum I have missed while on assignment in lower 48 the last 2 years. Great to be back! Went to the Warehouse in Anchorage the other day and was blown away by all the powder, bullets and primers!!!!! From that one stop, I seen more than I had seen in similar stores in Arizona in the last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    An opinion based on hundreds of cases and not having my ego tied up in a gun. I shoot Blaser myself.
    Ken I have exactly 1 Kimber. When it's all said and done I'll likely have....exactly 1 Kimber. It is an accurate and superbly functional tool. My Kimber rifle that I own is nicer in my opinion than anything remington, winchester, ruger, browning, sako, tikka, cz, or savage make. Period. In fact I'd go so far as to say when Kimber gets it right they build the finest factory rifles on the planet! I am excepting Blaser as they make some nice bolt guns.....Blaser doubles that's another story. I do not consider Dakota a factory rifle. I'm aware as are most people that Kimber had/has some quality control issues with SOME of it's rifles. So I ask you this have you EVER heard of someone having a problem with a Talkeetna???? because I haven't. You hate Kimber and that's obvious, but do you have any facts on this one? Blaser makes very nice bolts, but I'm a double rifle man myself. All my other guns are just tools. English doubles....now that's love!!!

Brett

PS. I'll try to get my ego untide from my "gunwobbie". No garuntees though!

As I don't own either a Kimber or a Winchester, but have worked on and examined many of both, not to mention other makes. I can say yes I or we at the shop have seen Kimber 375s in for work, both Caprivi and Talkeetna models. I have seen Winchester 375s in for the same type of work, but not many more and I consider that a pretty good ratio considering that Win has been selling 375s up here for about 30 times as long as kimber and I would guess there are only several hundred times as many winchesters up here.

The Talkeetna is a good concept they were onto something, cryin shame their customer service and QC sucks. And for anybody who claims Kimbers customer service doesn't absolutly Capitol S-U-C-K suck I'll tell you a story some time that will bring a tear to your eye. Glad you got a good one Brett, but they'll see none of my dollars and I wouldn't feel good reccomending them.

Kid,

What did the Talkeetnas/Caprivis come in for? Accuracy, feeding, other? They probably won't see any more of my money either, but simply because I have what I want or I'm buying custom or vintage rifles. I agree though that it's a chance to take for most people. Honestly if you don't mind breaking tradition with a Ruger instead of H&H the Ruger Alaskans are pretty hard to beat! The new Winnies aren't bad I just wasn't impressed. I do nit pick quite a bit though.

Brett

Brett, if I recall most of the problems have been with them refusing to feed, with poor accuracy running a close second. And by poor accuracy I mean 4-5in at 100yds. Then of course there was the brand new Caprivi that the BBL band swivel literally fell off of, guess they ran out of solder on that day or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast