Thread: Grouse near Anchorage?

Default Grouse near Anchorage?

Any suggestions for grouse hunting near Anchorage? I just want to take my lab out for some fun. I've tried Ft Richardson with a little success. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

what do you mean by "near"?

Most of us that chase birds go out to the valley or even farther. There are lots of posts on here about grouse and spruce hen hunting spots.

Really, your in AK and missing Montana? weird.
    You need to drive about an hour, and then walk about an hour to find birds. If it's closer than that, I don't bother.
    Try Crow Creek, you may find ptarmagin/

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Really, your in AK and missing Montana? weird.
    You need to drive about an hour, and then walk about an hour to find birds. If it's closer than that, I don't bother.
    Try Crow Creek, you may find ptarmagin/
    I miss Montana too. 30 min drive from house and into Whitetails, Muleys, bear, moose, cougar, antelope, elk, ducks, geese, sharps, ruffs, huns, blues, doves, pheasants, turkeys, rabbits and don't forget prairie dogs. Lots of roads to drive and rivers to float. Man, I really miss that.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Ya, your gonna have to work for your game up here, no 30 min drive hunts. I would really recommend the Sutton area.
    As a poster said before, LEGS kill grouse. Get out and enjoy the last frontier.

I think the key word here is "Anchorage" lol, Anchorage is not what Alaska is.....to see the real Alaska you need to get out of Anchorage. No affence to any one who lives there, but Anchorage is not a good representation of Alaska. Its to "Big City" minded. Get out to the valley and head north and get away from all the people. You will find more game the farther ya go. I hear (if your up to the drive lol) that Cantwell is a great place to go for birds. I would like to head up there one of these days but wont be real soon lol.

I moved to Anchorage 3 years ago and I miss Alaska too. I'm glad it's only an hour away. Try Turnagin Pass or between Sutton and Eureka. Also try the Hay flats or up around Talkeetna for rabbits.

We all wish we could get out of Los Anchorage more. My problem is that this is where the work is. If you lived in the interior, you could hunt on your back porch. That would be the life...