Thread: South central duck hunting

Default South central duck hunting

I'm a Washington State native and have always loved to duck hunt. I'm currently living in North Carolina where the duck hunting is terrible. I was wondering how good the duck hunting is in South central Alaska and what type of ducks you guys hunt up there. My hope is to relocate up there one day. Although going to NASCAR races is fun and everything I'm an outdoor/hunting/fishing lover and would trade it anyday. thanks for any info you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by ealkire View Post
    I'm a Washington State native and have always loved to duck hunt. I'm currently living in North Carolina where the duck hunting is terrible.

I was wondering how good the duck hunting is in South central Alaska it sucks.....today is day 45 of a 117 day season....most lakes are frozen...most birds are gone........
    however, there are days and places that the hunting can be just awesome...just not for me this year.....if you like salt water there are sea ducks not too far down the road...just need a boat safe enough to keep you dry and warm

and what type of ducks you guys hunt up there. all the usual kinds of ducks. no blue wing teal around here...yet...someday they will skip over the hills and show up...no black ducks.....no brant.....snows show up for a day or two but are too smart for us locals...grey ducks come and go with the years...this year there were a lot...divers come and go as well all depending on how they did on the nest in the summer
    My dad was born and raised on the coast of NC. Lots of quail in those days. Moonshine and coon hounds. Squirrels in the oak trees. His only duck hunting took place drifting down creeks and jump shooting them. He found no joy in standing out in the water waiting for something to show up. Even though Pamlico Sound was right there and he fished it often, he never went out for ducks.