Thread: She FINALY arrived

Default She FINALY arrived

I finally received my muzzleloader from the builder. She’s a 54 cal. Left handed Flintlock. With a gain twist barrel. Early Virginia style, with a 44” Colerain barrel. She was built by William Slusser. The test targets are very impressive. I just hope I can shoot as well. I will be shooting her myself as soon as I get all the cleaning supplies together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow beautiful rifle ! I love the grain on that stock. How much does that thing weigh with that longgg barrel

Thanks Bsj425,
    Actually Its not as heavy as it looks. I have not put it on a scale but its not much heavier than my inlines. Thats because its a 54 cal. my inlines are 50 cal. Its 61" long total. I stand 6'6" so the lenth of pull added a bit to its length as well. But she balances very well. But one thing is for sure. The vertically challenged will not be able to load it easily. Finding the wood for the stock took the longest time. Hopefully a little practice and look out this November. New rifle and a cow tag to be filled.

Alaskan100

Outstanding! And it's even got the lock on the correct side of the stock.

Am I reading the photo wrong, or is that barrel wedged in rather than pinned?

Thank you BrownBear,
    actually the pins are wide there is not change in thickness so they are not wedges. The pins had to be wider to accomodate the second barrel. When I had the barrel made I had a second barrel built out of the same steel bar stock (so the thickness would be identical). The second barrel is a shotgun barrel with a jug choke.

Alaskan100

purdy! How long did it take to get it built?

Yes indeed, that is one fine rifle!
    Afflicted by condition human

rimfirematt,
    It took about a year to year and a half,total. I was on the waiting list for the whole winter then maybe longer. But he started it this spring. All shaped by hand, no power tools used. He did do some extra shooting with it. I am working with a mould maker so I can cast my own bullets. Since the barrel will shoot round ball and conical. I want to get a mould built that will shoot the most accurately. I owe that to the game I plan on shooting with it. I had the barrels sent to him and I sent the lock to him. Everything else he picked up. the length of pull, cast off etc. was measured. The rifle fits perfect. I can close my eyes and shoulder the rifle, put my cheek on the stock and open my eyes and I am looking right down the sights. And here is the amazing part. I have never been to PA. I have never met the builder. But I will next trip to the lower 48. When I looked at the dixson gun builders fair at dixsons web site. Bill Slusser was giving the seminar on carving the stock. so that sold me that I found the right builder. Not to mention the barrel builder gave me his contact info. They even have one of his rifles on there web site.

Thanks
    Alaskan100

That is gorgeous !