Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesse James Fly Reels

Default Jesse James Fly Reels

Never thought I would see the Iron Cross and cobweb theme on a fly reel, but to each their own. I think they will be a hard sell as the $500 market is tough and the market very small! I bet the younger crowd will be more receptive to the style, but they aren't typically the ones shelling out $700 for a rod or $500 for a reel. For that kind of money, I think I'll stick with CCF's!
    In fairness, I haven't handled one yet (not even sure local shops have them), but I'm wondering if anyone has a review to share? Website says they're from Anchorage!

http://www.jessejamesreels.com/

Reel is designed and tested by local guide Mark Mahoric. I don't think you will see them in shops anytime soon, Mark is marketing them himself at this point. I have seen and touched them, they are nice reels.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Yes Mark did, and they are well worth the money. I have seen one, didn't touch it, but the guy using it was very impressed. If I had that kind of money to spend on one I would do it in a heart beat just from word of mouth alone.

I know Mark well and have handled the reel since the first prototype, it's a pretty sweet reel. Lightweight, VERY smooth reel, and one hell of a drag. The other positive note, it's from a local Alaskan!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Are the reels manufactured in Ak or overseas?

They look nice but not my style as I am not a biker type.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat AV View Post
    Are the reels manufactured in Ak or overseas?

They look nice but not my style as I am not a biker type.
    I'm not the biker type either, but should that take anything from the quality of the reel? I would love to try one of these out, they definitely look pretty sweet! Is there only one size they offer them in?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I guess I don't get the jesse james tie in. Basically any quality made AK reel would have been cool. To me the west coast choppers theme cheapens what is probably a great product. A name like Alaska Reel Works would have given a high end sound to it. When I think Jesse James , I think MTV monster garage. I hope they do well. I would be interested in a nice high quality locally made reel if they come out with a different theme.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I guess I don't get the jesse james tie in. Basically any quality made AK reel would have been cool. To me the west coast choppers theme cheapens what is probably a great product. A name like Alaska Reel Works would have given a high end sound to it. When I think Jesse James , I think MTV monster garage. I hope they do well. I would be interested in a nice high quality locally made reel if they come out with a different theme.
    Well said...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

How about that, I remember Mark talking up these reels a few years ago but I didn't think they'd ever actually materialize. I guess Jesse has some extra time on his hands now that he's...well, nevermind.

Isn't this the guy that made national news for cheating on his wife. I don't care if it was the last reel available, I'm not supporting a guy like that.

Maybe they could get the boys from American Chopper to design/decorate a nice rod to match it. What a gimmick.
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I completely agree... The Jesse James thing makes it seem like a gimmick. Also, why segment your market like that?
    Makes no sense to me. Plus, I fear change and will keep my bush....

When is fly fishing in ALASKA GOING TO BE IN THE X GAMES? Probably soon............ Everyone is trying to get a piece. Don't feed into this bs. Support the fly fishing community, not some West Coast Choppers bull S#!t.

jesse james tie in
    Maybe its the name and some financial backing? I like the looks, but seems they only offer 4/5 and 7/8. Are there others to come?
    I'm Pro-Pike.

He also has a Saltwater/Spey reel has well.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

That's great/lame. Now all we need is the affliction t-shirt, oversized trucker hat, and some waders with condom depot stenciled all over them. Can't wait for UFC guy and orvis guy to start sharing patterns on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    That's great/lame. Now all we need is the affliction t-shirt, oversized trucker hat, and some waders with condom depot stenciled all over them. Can't wait for UFC guy and orvis guy to start sharing patterns on the river.
    I understand were you are comming from, you may or may not know these reels are not really the handy work of JJ, Mark Mahoric designed them and is partners with JJ in this. I know it kinda sucks to see JJ stamped all over them but they are really Mark's reels JJ only manufacturs them.

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    I completely agree... The Jesse James thing makes it seem like a gimmick. Also, why segment your market like that?
    Makes no sense to me. Plus, I fear change and will keep my bush....
    I second that notion...... I like the idea of an "Alaskan" theme.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Jesse's only involvement in them is the marketing side of the operation. Reels are not built by Jesse they are built by a different company that manufactures fishing products. Having fished the 7/8, it is a very smooth reel and works well. I totally understand where everyone is coming from on the whole JJ thing but if you look past that and the design they are a nice reel.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    I am with you, I don't want anyone who doesn't resemble an Orvis model to touch a fly rod. Down with the people who skateboard, surf, BMX bike or listen to rap; that like flyfishing. Really are you going there Don, it's our sport and we should welcome anyone into it no matter who they are. I see the JJ reels as two American business men making and marketing an American made product for our sport, granted it may not fit everyone's taste. If its a good product then it should end at that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast