Thread: Aviation cook stove?

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Aviation cook stove?

I'm getting my winter survival gear together and have been considering including a cook stove that runs off of aviation fuel. I've been reading about the Primus Omnifuel camp stove. Is it reasonable to have such a stove packed? How would you tap into the aviation fuel? Is there another stove more reasonable? I have a Jetboil for backpacking, but can't carry its fuel on board the plane.
    Pam

MSR Dragonfly will burn just about any type of fuel, even diesel if you change the jet which is EZ to do. Own my second one now the first lasted over 10 years and only failed from being crushed.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My ammo can heater in the other thread uses an MSR XGK and it works with avgas. It likes white gas better, though. Not like you'd use a steady diet of avgas. Because I already carried an MSR stove was why I did the ammo box in the first place. The stove can multi-task. I have a Dragonfly, too. Great stoves. The Dragonfly is a better cook stove. The XGK has fewer moving parts and I like that in a survival stove. I also have a dual fuel Coleman but I MUCH prefer fuel bottle stoves over tank stoves for packing in survival gear. A Whisperlight Intl is another good choice.

With fuel bottles I've taken gas from the gascolator and from wing drains. It depends on how your plane's gascolator and fuel sumps are plumbed.

I have a dual fuel Coleman in my cub. It is stored inside a cooking pot. and the pot in inside my waterproof survival gear box. It works just fine using av-gas from the sumps. Although I also carry a couple small fuel bottles in my floats. And of course I always have on my vest since the darn plane will probably sink into a deep lake with all my gear, At least I will have my little titanium 22, so I can shoot an illegal duck and then the Fish Cops can jump out of the brush and haul me off to a nice warm jail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Those are great survival kits...I am putting mine together will use these pics to begin the adventure...I have the primus multifuel, fits inside the cookpot, and basic signaling devices...Am looking for a sat phone to add before my journey north...thanks for the pics...

I had my nomex vest modified at the local sewing shop so it now holds a pup tent in the lumbar area.
    Heading out the door right now with it on... Hope the spray water does not freeze at altitude.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com