Thread: Hayflats this weekend

Default Hayflats this weekend

I havn't been able to do nearly the hunting I planned on this fall. Waiting till fall to build a entryway addition on my home was not the brightest idea I have had, really interfered with my hunting plans, this was to be my best year ever.

Want to go out for this weekend, is the lake doable? For those who were out yesterday or today (Friday) were you able to run your boat though the ice, or is it over for the season? Any information would be helpful.

Note to Duckman: How was your season, hope you did well. I had expected to see you more out there and to come around the point and visit your camp but just was not able to squeeze in the time. Bud

I was out yesterday and found about 1/2 inch of ice on most of the water. A few open leads, probably kept open by swans/ducks, but not much. Some ducks still out there, but I believe they are the same birds that have been in the area for a little while now. Was hoping for one of those nice greenhead shoots, but not to be. The ice was still breaking, but my forward motion wasn't all that great. Too much thicker, and I've of had problems. Turning was difficult. I'm done out there for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I havn't been able to do nearly the hunting I planned on this fall. Waiting till fall to build a entryway addition on my home was not the brightest idea I have had, really interfered with my hunting plans, this was to be my best year ever.

Want to go out for this weekend, is the lake doable? For those who were out yesterday or today (Friday) were you able to run your boat though the ice, or is it over for the season? Any information would be helpful.

Note to Duckman: How was your season, hope you did well. I had expected to see you more out there and to come around the point and visit your camp but just was not able to squeeze in the time. Bud
    Hay Bud
    It was a good year for me. Not the best, but no where near bad. Losing my camp in that bad wind put a damper on things, but with the help of friends( Duckhunter 01 and crew) I was able to get out there for one last weekend camp. Didn't see the number of birds I thought I would this year, but still picked up a possession limit that last weekend (two weeks ago) I plan on getting out one more time tomorrow morning for a day hunt if everything go's as planed. Maybe you can make it over next year, I'll keep a cold one on hand for you.
    Bob.

Sounds like the lake is about done for the year, weather forcast has lowered from lows of 37 to below freezing. For some of you diehards, I have done well at times off the salt, fighting the tides and long long decoy lines. Another place is rabbit slough itself, it will keep clear for a bit longer and ive hunted just past where the trees stop on some of the wider places that are still ice free and had some nice mallards, mught give it a try. Bud