Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Canoe

Default Stolen Canoe

Canoe Recovered.. It has been found, and recovered. It was stashed about a mile below the area it was originally left and was found by a local trapper last week.
    Max

Folks, I have had a canoe stolen from me, and would like your help.
    Its a WeNonah canoe, its the Fisherman model laid up in tuff weave.
    it was a sand color and is about 14.5 feet long and very wide,, 40 inches.
    its a glass canoe and new cost about 1400 bucks.
    It was taken from the Moose river just below the portage from Swan lake.
    We had some customers from Hawaii out on the canoe system the last week of Sept, and the father suffered a back injury probably on that last portage, he was not able to continue down the river and called in a rescue from the troopers and the wildlife refuge folks. he and his daughter were air lifted and of course the canoe and gear left behind.
    I made the journey thru the East entrance to moose and out, only to find it gone. I did find out where it had been pulled from the river to the bank, and found some evidence of the Helicopter rescue team, such as the plastic security clips they keep on EMT type products.
    I would figure it to be local talent, but it could show up about anywhere. It was clearly marked with my company logo and phone number, and state parks commercial sticker in blue, etc. I am sure those have been removed and it probably has a new rattle can paint job in a different color.
    I contacted the Kenai wildlife refuge officer and she has made some kind of report.
    here is a link to the Manufactures website and the canoe its self.
    its the same color as in this ad
    http://www.wenonah.com/products/temp...7c74ce20a16b23
    Not many of these canoes in Alaska, and notice how wide this canoe is in the middle..
    its a great canoe for fisherman and duck hunters.
    lets keep our eyes peeled this next summer for anyone with such a craft, and especially if it looks like a repaint job, ..
    thanks for your help
    Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 01-09-2011 at 21:26.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I'll keep an eye out.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Me too! That color will show in scratches well even if they try and paint it. Hope they find them!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

this is getting to be crap everyone getting things ripped off! You work hard to buy it and they steal it what a bunch of ***** guess I can't say that
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    this is getting to be crap everyone getting things ripped off! You work hard to buy it and they steal it what a bunch of ***** guess I can't say that
    As bad as stealing it in the first place is, it is even worse when someone would steal it from the field. How do they know that someone's life doesn't depend on that canoe being there for them to get out of the wild. If they steal it from your house, you might just miss out on a trip. When they steal it from the side of the river, you are SOL if you are relying on it for getting home.

Max, do you have a HIN(hull id numb.) that you could relay to some of us. I'm usually in a lot of the typical canoeing locations and I would def. jot down a HIN from a canoe.....if it were a similiar model as yours. With that said, the very distinctive shape of that canoe (short and fat) would be distinguishable from a mile away.

Man that stinks. It would be hard not to take retribution if found Hope that you get lucky. Reminds me of the caught thief thread. On the other hand you could find out in some strange way that they thought that they needed to take it and return it you.

Watching for it on Kodiak, AKcanoe,

hope the words gets out on that one and that FOOL is exposed.

Do you remember if the Hull Id is engraved in or just on one of those little brass plates riveted to the hull?
    I think I'm gonna go out and engrave mine tomorrow.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I do have the hull number in my files, as all my canoes are registered with the state parks,
    Now I just need to find the copy of that form....
    Anyway, Thank you all for looking for it.
    The thing is that I live one mile from the moose river confluence of the kenai river where they would have to come out, and my phone number and information is on the canoe. If they intended on bringing back to me, it would have been done already.
    just a cell phone call away..
    Max

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Ironartist, I don't mean to get in the middle of anything, but I took his (anchskier) post as agreeing with you also. If he wasn't then I missed something.... Just my opinion
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default thievery is LOW (<--- a too polite reply, in deferance to this forum's rules)...

Max,

I'm sorry. If there is any opportunity I have to help you get your canoe back I will do so in a heartbeat. It has to suck, with all the help you give people to better enjoy your own backyard (the KP) and when trouble happens to your customer YOU get the short end of the stick.... (shakes head.....). Sad.

(edited; posts referenced were deleted)
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 10-17-2010 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    What the $%& is your problem? I am agreeing with you! I didn't think you were stupid.... I was just adding my feelings .......
    This was the funniest part of the exchange I thought, something about this reaction to the first was just The Real Deal LOL

Great Reply Skier

Familyman, you sure can keep it pretty entertaining around here.................................
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Max.. just curious and not that the thief doesn't need his hand removed but with your rental agreement isn't the person that rented the canoe responsible for the cost? Do you have insureance that will cover it?

Ironartist - think that you jumped the gun and misread. A "I'm sorry" might be in order?

Yes I have insurance and the person renting the canoe is responsible for replacement cost of the canoe if it does not come back to me , but that is of course worse case scenario, and we always do our best to not let that happen. these customers had no intention of not bringing me back the canoe, and I have a moral obligation to attempt to retrieve it and not add cost to their already unfortunate trip.
    The fact is that my intention is and was to go up and retrieve the equipment and not worry about it . to me that is just the right thing to do.
    Someone decided it was something they wanted and took it, I suppose they feel they got a freebee.
    The reason I think it was local talent is because the troopers posted in the paper a day or so after the rescue, the events of what happened, and anyone that lives nearby would know that the gear was left. the report in the paper even gave the location of the event, as 16 miles up moose river, so anyone that wanted to get to the gear knew right where it was.
    It takes me about 15 hours of portages and paddling to make the journey from East entrance to Moose river bridge. I was working the week that the canoe was left, so I had to wait until my days off before I could make the overnight trek to get the gear.
    this gave someone some days to go get it before I had the chance.
    Anyway guys and gals, I appreciate your concern and your help...
    that is what this community is about, folks helping others....
    Max

it's been a week with no luck I assume. Now I would imagine that you'll spend the winter watching craigslist. You'll have to respost pictures and remind everyone after breakup because the theif will feel safe by then and do something stupid, WE HOPE.

Thanks guys..
    I will keep you posted and remind all this next spring.
    Max

I am new to this forum and can't tell the date of this last post. Did you get your canoe back yet?

Quote Originally Posted by fishkin View Post
    I am new to this forum and can't tell the date of this last post. Did you get your canoe back yet?
    To find the date of the last post, just check the top left corner of that post, right above the name of the person posting. Recent posts will show up as a time when it was posted such as "1 Hour Ago" or "52 Minutes Ago" or "3 Days Ago" etc... Once it gets a bit older, it will show a date.

Canoe Recovered..
    I got a phone call the other day from a trapper that was out in the moose range.
    He said he found my canoe.
    It was frozen into the water and ground so bad that it was not possible for him to get it out.
    he said it was pulled into a swampy area off the moose river, and by my GPS cordinates was about 1 mile from where it had been left by the guy that got rescued.
    It was not turned over, so the whole insides were full of ice and snow since the 1st of October.
    I made the trip up to find it and caught up with the trappers. located the canoe and decided I would need to thaw the entire area and chip it out.
    On saturday, I took a group of 6 and we went in about 16 miles to the canoe. worked for 2 hours with weed burner, axe, pick and maul.
    chipping and melting we finally got it loose.
    the insides was about 3/4 full of ice, and after anouther hour we got about 3/4 of that out except under the front seat etc.
    All the gear was a total lose. the camping equipment was ruined.
    Our guess is that it was moved down river for a later pickup.. don't know the reason.
    the boat was clearly marked with our phone number and state parks license number etc. that is how the trapper knew it was mine.
    anyway.. its home now and safe..
    thanks all for keeping your eyes peeled and your kind thoughts.
    I am so happy that a group like this as a whole are such good people.
    when I first found it gone, and reported it to the refuge officers, the next place I came was here to call out for help ..
    thanks again
    Max

Default glad you got it back

but its a shame you had to go to all that time/trouble. Didn't make any money on that particular rental, eh?

Thanks for all you do down there on the KP to help people better enjoy our state. Good on you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast