Thread: Tents?

Question Tents?

Planning a Sheep hunt into the Brooks. There will be three of us going, so I'm trying to figure out the best setup for a tent. The three of us did an alpine deer hunt a few years back and we brought 2 tents - A 2 person and a smaller sierra designs that was comfortable enough for one person.

I am thinking about buying a Hilleberg Nalo GT. Any suggestions? Should I go with the 3 or 4 man? OR should I go with the two tent set up we used in the past?

I know the Hillebergs are spendy, but If I could just sell a couple of wolf hides...

Thanks!!!

Golite Shangri-La 5 with eight extra stakes (16 total), giving you ability to stake all of the ground loops and the guy outs. It would take quite a blow to break that setup. Floorless is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Golite Shangri-La 5 with eight extra stakes (16 total), giving you ability to stake all of the ground loops and the guy outs. It would take quite a blow to break that setup. Floorless is where it's at.
    I have the Nallo 4 GT and it is a great 3 man tent. I am looking into picking up the tent go-lite Shangri-la 5. It seems like a better option for a big lightweight shelter.

For a mountain tent- Hilleberg Saivo. I have the Tarra which is essentially the 2 man version. Free standing- bomber- expensive.

http://estore.websitepros.com/176479...ent/Detail.bok

If three are going it's going to be two plane trips...so take a 2 man tent each, for privacy. Take a big tarp to use for kitchen and gathering...

Will you continue to use a 3 or 4 man tent in the future? A good tent is an investment. Get the one you'll want to wear out. For me that's a 2 man. If it was me I'd tell the other guys to find a 2 man for them and I'd sleep alone in my own. This topic gets well worn but I'm still happy to endorse a Hilleberg Jannu. I'm sure happy with mine. I'm waiting for my Tarp 2 UL to arrive in the mail. That ought to be a really sweet combo.

The Go-lite looks interesting. Slept in a single wall floorless shelter down here on a rainy alpine deer hunt once and surprising it worked fine. Can't remember the brand. I have a Mountain Hardwear Skyview 1.5 that's already 10 years old that I thought about taking. I was thinking it was pretty lightweight, but looking at the specs is like 8 lbs +. I guess that was lightweight 10 years ago.

I'm curious how the Go lite will stand up to high winds. WOuld you use a foot print or nest or just put your pad directly on the ground?

I use a small piece of tyvek as a groundsheet when the ground is dirty. When it's gravelly or vegetated, I lay my crap directly on the ground.

If you take a hard look at a tipi tent shape versus others, you'll note that the bulk of the tent's wall area is low to the ground relative to other designs. It does fine in wind. You can also make subtle changes to the tent's profile based on how tall you extend the pole, and how wide you pull the base. Shorter/wider is better in wind (naturally). Use all of the available guy-out points and stake loops, and pile rocks over your stakes. Same as any other tent. Don't sweat the single-wall (pun there...).