Thread: .223 for Blacktail

Default .223 for Blacktail

Just wondering what would be the best load for a .223 used to take blacktail?

Anything in the 55-65 gr category is fine with a good shot.

For Factory loads:
    Hornady 55gr soft point
    Ultramax with the 55gr ballistic tip
    Federal Premium with either the 60gr partition or the 55gr tsx
    Black hills has 55 and 60 grain soft point factory loads.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I find this kind of ironic. I was headed out to PWS and told a friend I was thinking of using the 55 grain 30.06 accelerator, he laughed and me and said it was far too little. It's almost the same bullet as the 223 but with a lot more powder behind it, right?

I have not yet shot them, but I have heard they are not very accurate.

I've seen the 64gr Winchester SPs used very effectively on small deer and one example of the TSX. Worked fine but watch your shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I find this kind of ironic. I was headed out to PWS and told a friend I was thinking of using the 55 grain 30.06 accelerator, he laughed and me and said it was far too little. It's almost the same bullet as the 223 but with a lot more powder behind it, right?

I have not yet shot them, but I have heard they are not very accurate.
    That's not too little. Just a little impractical out of a aught 6. My husqvarna 30-06 really likes the old Core-lok 125gr loads. Great deer round, black bear round.
    My first centerfire was a .223, killed enough deer just fine. Then I went to a 22-250, which my mom still uses on blacktails. Biggest blacktail in our house was shot off Chichagof Island with that 22-250. Mom will never let us live that down.

I'll find out in a couple of weeks and let you know as I plan on taking my M4 with me.

If your taking a 223 cause you think your 300, 338 or even 375 will cause alot of meat loss, your thinking wrong. I know when I first started hunting deer I thought I needed a small caliber to stifle meat loss. I found out that my 300 didnt waste anymore meat than the 223. And the deer I saw shot with even bigger calibers were just fine too. It was a nice relief too cause I like carrying a big gun in bear country.

That being said, i agree with everyone else. 55 on up bullet should be fine. I would steer clear of varmit bullets like the v-max or any other thin jacketed bullet. I shot a fox once with a vmax. It was a long shot, but the bullet just blew up when it hit the fox.

Although I have not shot the accelerator, I imagine they would be very inacurate because of the twist rate in 30/06

Thanks for all the input everybody...I have been kicking around the idea of buying an AR-15, mostly for fun, but was wondering if it would be a good caliber for deer. I think I'll do a little more research on AR's and stick with my .243 for this year's hunt on Montague. That seemed to work really well last time and I am deadly accurate with it.

I just got back from Montigue and took 3 deer using my .223. I used the Hornady 55gr Vmax- Moly. The moly coat seemed to keep the round mostly entact and held true giving great penetration. I will be using that rifle and round on future trips. The closest buck was 35 yards and the furthest was 185. Both fell instantly and when I gutted the furthest one, his heart was almost non existant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacpswank View Post
    I just got back from Montigue and took 3 deer using my .223. The closest buck was 35 yards and the furthest was 185. Both fell instantly and when I gutted the furthest one, his heart was almost non existant.
    Excellent results, thanks for posting, that's good info, and Great Shooting it sounds like, Congrats

Got any pics for the 2010 Hunting Forum Photo Album?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Tacpswank View Post
    The moly coat seemed to keep the round mostly entact and held true giving great penetration.
    The moly coating does not to strengthen the integrity of the bullet. It's simply a dry lubricant on the outside of the bullet, intended to reduce fouling.

I haven't used a .22 caliber rifle for deer yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so with the right bullet. My first choice would be a 62gr TSX in one of my fast-twist .223's or .22-250AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    The moly coating does not to strengthen the integrity of the bullet. It's simply a dry lubricant on the outside of the bullet, intended to reduce fouling.

I haven't used a .22 caliber rifle for deer yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so with the right bullet. My first choice would be a 62gr TSX in one of my fast-twist .223's or .22-250AI.
    Dan,

You obviously haven't used Super Moly. Turns even the most frangible bullet into a TSX.

Quote Originally Posted by akskidoo View Post
    Just wondering what would be the best load for a .223 used to take blacktail?
    The one that kills them. They aren't that hard to kill.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Ive used 223 for whitetail, as long as you use a good bullet, i used a 55gr hollow point from UltraMax, dropped them where they stood,
    and... shot PLACEMENT!!! is key
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.