Thread: Overpriced Transporter fees?

Question Overpriced Transporter fees?

I was looking for a good transporter for the Koyukuk river and I pulled a name off this board. I wont mention his name, but I feel I'm getting gouged a bit. His quote was $2500 PP based on double occupancy. This included a canoe, motor and gas. I have talked with people who have done that hunt before and he said it was definatly under $1000 for the whole hunting party. (I'm still trying to get a hold of his guy) I can take my own raft with motor by shipping through NAC. but I'm sure that it would knock that much off the price.

Is this the price I should be expecting? If thats the case I can run my own boat from the bridge.

If you want to know more specifics I'll PM you.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments,
    Todd

So for 5000 bucks(2 people) you can trailer your boat to the bridge, drive down the Yukon and up the Koy and get back to Anch. I believe gas is currently over 4 bucks a gallon along the river. Maybe it will go down this summer.
    Have you factored in potential breakdown fees. Time not hunting. Possibly barging the boat back to Nenana?
    2500 bucks per person for a ride from Galena to your hunt area on the Koy? Thank Frank for reinstituting the Comm Serv. Board.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default cut rate

Just remember the old saying, you get what you pay for. Some times the "best deal" isn't the best deal.

"I have talked with people who have done that hunt before and he said it was definatly under $1000 for the whole hunting party"

I dont see how it is possible to do the entire trip for under $1,000 at todays fuel prices. For two guys splitting fuel costs in a truck hauling a boat up to the haul road bridge and then motoring the entire way to the Koyukuk in a boat just does not seem reachable unless gas is 1.50 a gallon.
    $2500 a person does sound to bad to me. No wear and tear on your boat and you dont have to worry about fuel costs either.
    Tennessee

[QUOTE=Snowwolfe;64062]"I have talked with people who have done that hunt before and he said it was definatly under $1000 for the whole hunting party"

I dont see how it is possible to do the entire trip for under $1,000 at todays fuel prices.

I should've clarified a bit more. My friend paid under a thousand just for the transport fee to the Koy. He, like myself have my own boat which I was shipping to Galena with NAC. The point I was making was $5K seems steep for running two guys and gear 60 miles up river. I don't mind stimulating the economy and absolutly understand the addage "you get what you pay for" but for the operator costs, it works out to $48.00 per mile based on two round trips.

Angry ooch

[QUOTE=martentrapper; 2500 bucks per person for a ride from Galena to your hunt area on the Koy? Thank Frank for reinstituting the Comm Serv. Board.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty ignorant of the situation up there but this may be a case of how the new interpitation and enforcment enphisis of "field" is increasing costs for the resident unguided hunter. Could it be under the old way he could have fuel ,supplies and equipment stashed at a perminate dwelling along the way or near the drop off and now he has to haul everything from an area "associated with a city town or village" incurring more logistical costs and making the same or less profit???

Sorry, I didnt understand you. I thought he was charging you $2,500 each from Anchorage area.
    What does it cost to ship your boat to Galena?
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Sorry, I didnt understand you. I thought he was charging you $2,500 each from Anchorage area.
    What does it cost to ship your boat to Galena?
    I'm shipping a pallet of gear, pretty much everything for under $500.00. Now before everybody starts asking how can I get such a low rate, its because my better half works for the Airlines and we get 90% off shipping and discounted airline tickets with Frontier Air as well. My boat is a 14' Inflatable with a Johnson 5hp Kicker for getting around the Slough. I planned on buying all my fuel in Galena. I also want to say that $2500 per person based on fairs out of Anchorage would be great but I hope you can see now that thats not the case.

I believe the only carrier taking freight into Gal is Everts. Or Frontier, but that's in a 1900, not as much room, and if you get a discount then you know your stuff goes "space avail". You sure you get a 90% discount on Everts? NAC no longer flies to Gal.
    60 miles? 60 miles on the Koyukuk gets you about 5 miles from the village.........haha. I'm thinking your hunting further up than that?
    If I had a transporter license and a good reliable boat in Gal, had to deal with all the insurance and paperwork BS now required of a transporter, not to mention the troopers are right there in Gal to check you daily, I'd probably want 2500 per person to run guys up the Koy.
    I wouldn't enjoy paying that much for a river run, but then I don't live in Anch. Masybe Charlies prices aren't that bad?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

60 miles gets you 5! LOL man thats just like alot of village rivers...spend eight days in a boat and walk home in two...lol

your 5 horse kicker move your raft when its loaded down with moose against the current?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212