Thread: So you think the Sound is getting tight with shrimp gear?

Default So you think the Sound is getting tight with shrimp gear?

I just spent 2 weeks eating my way from Boston to just about the Canadian border in Maine. The lobster pies and fried clam bellies put about 10 extra pounds on me but i enjoyed every bite. Me and mrs potbuilder took a 3/4 mile walk out to the lighthouse on the end of the breakwater in Rockland,Me and i couldn't believe the amount of lobster gear piled in around the breakwater, must be hot fishing up against it. I could of hauled a few right off the rocks and others were stuck right in up against the rocks.
    buoys at rockland light.jpg
    lobster shack in rockland.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Fish dungies in select parts of puget sound (shrimp too, for that matter) and you'll see largely the same, if not greater, density of buoys. It's a circus.

weaving through the lobster buoys is half the fun of going anywhere in a boat in Maine
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

We used to watch a certain lobsterman set his gear right along side of the USCGC Tamaroa and the USCGC Reliant in the Pisquatica river.
    Of course he would get pissed when he came looking for his gear and it was stacked, confiscated on our dock.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Steve, they move in closer to shore certain times of the year. Those fried clams with the bellies are awesome! MMMMM Don't forget, if your in need for a lobsta roll, even McDonalds sells them. Did you make it to Ft. Kent or Madawaska? I can clue you in on a few great restuarants if you are.

Mark

See what I'm saying about our shellfish biologists? Theres a difference between conservative management and being afraid of your own shadow. We w/o a doubt have the most pathetic shell fish management in the free world IMO. There is a thriving industry going to waste in front of our very eyes.
    LOL we don't even have a local seafood restaurant in the entire state that serves a local bounty its a joke to have to fly to Seattle to get a decent seafood dinner

Pot Builder I had no idea they fished those pots in such a concentrated, confused manner. Looks to me like there's some potential for bumping more than noses.

Fullbush...yr right on, I hear ya..... Fullbush for Govenor!

My father was a lobsterman in Rhode Island. The deal with Lobsters is that they don't all end up in the traps. So even though it looks like there is a ton of gear in the water, they have found that only a small percentage of the lobsters get caught.

it all comes down to solid research and understanding the critters that are being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Steve, they move in closer to shore certain times of the year. Those fried clams with the bellies are awesome! MMMMM Don't forget, if your in need for a lobsta roll, even McDonalds sells them. Did you make it to Ft. Kent or Madawaska? I can clue you in on a few great restuarants if you are.

Mark
    I know all about chasing lobsters, did it for a lot of years, i chased them from rockpiles & wrecks on the beach all the way to the canyons a 100 miles offshore. The haddock specials most places were running where great, just a giant fillet of haddock side of french fries and a big tub of coleslaw but by far my favorite was those lobster pies, just about a pound of lobster meat with just enough bread crumbs to cover the top, stuck under the broiler for a couple of minutes to crisp it up then french fries and coleslaw on the side and its just HOG HEAVEN. I'm ready to go back just typing about it. If i lived there every time i went out to eat there would have to be 2 trucks standing by outside
    1. the first aid wagon
    2. a hearse

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I know all about chasing lobsters, did it for a lot of years, i chased them from rockpiles & wrecks on the beach all the way to the canyons a 100 miles offshore. The haddock specials most places were running where great, just a giant fillet of haddock side of french fries and a big tub of coleslaw but by far my favorite was those lobster pies, just about a pound of lobster meat with just enough bread crumbs to cover the top, stuck under the broiler for a couple of minutes to crisp it up then french fries and coleslaw on the side and its just HOG HEAVEN. I'm ready to go back just typing about it. If i lived there every time i went out to eat there would have to be 2 trucks standing by outside
    1. the first aid wagon
    2. a hearse

The pies are good aren't they! I prefer the rolls with the toasted flat sided hotdog buns with lobsta, lettuce celery and mayo. Eat them until pop! I knew you were a former lobsta fishaman! It always amazed me on how much they move in and out. Had a friend/coworker back in the day that his brother and dad had a coveted license to fish lobsta. Use to get them for a buck a pound fresh off the boat. If you make it to Frenchville between Ft. Kend and Madawaska, stop in at "Rosettes" to eat. Awesome homecooking diner. Been in bussiness since the 50's. Enjoy the rest of your having a good trip.