Thread: Chain saw , which saw best for So Cent Alaska?

Default Chain saw , which saw best for So Cent Alaska?

I'm in need of a new saw.
    I have an old Husky 61, (28 yrs old) parts missing.
    Needed parts to make it run are different gauges of wire,
    Misc epoxy & 3 kind of tape.

I think I narrowed it to 3 saws.
    Husqvarna
    346XP 20 11.2 lbs 3.7 bhp $509
    357XP 20 12.1 lbs 4.4 bhp $709

& considering the 20" 359 (basic same as 357 but less hp & $559)

Looked at Stihl, about same $$ but heavier. No reason not to like them, just I have a Husq that lasted 28 years & still runs (well kinda)

Almost ready to go with the 20" 346XP. Dealer here is out (sold all their saw right after the big wind storm 3 weeks ago)
    Waiting to go see, touch feel &kick the tires before I spend that much on a new saw.

The .7 more hp for the 357XP is impressive & only 1 lb more but $200 more also.

I believe with the 346XP, I'll see considerable improvement from my old 61 & quit a bit lighter.
    It has .325 chain (others have .375) which I don't know what that does for performance.

Will it cut fire wood well? ....Birch & spruce here in the Mat-Su Valley.
    I've only ran into 3 or 4 birch that were bigger than 20" & rarely see spruce that big here.

Lighter weight for a older back seems like the smart thing to do but .7 more HP. Ugh ugh. macho in me says more hp is a good thing to have.

You might take a look at the Jonsered at Fish Creek Sales on the Palmer /Wasilla hy.From past threads on the saw subject several people have had high marks for the Jonsered. Mike and his crew there are great people to do business with. He use to live in bush so he has been there and done that. Valley - 373-2634 or 1-800-446-2611

For years I owned a Homelite 330 (still have it). Was a great saw, but finding repair parts can be tricky and then expensive to boot.
    New saw is a STIHL MS 250 w/ 16" bar. Saw can be fitted with a 20" bar if need be. Had it three years without a single problem. Have not found a log that can whoop it yet (and believe me I have had some I thought were candidates!). Mostly cut hardwoods- oak, hickory, & hedge.
    Might want to give it a looksee and compare

Personally I like stihl's. In our area most of the professionals use them also. But the best saw in the world won't matter if you don't have a good dealer/mechanic to keep it in tip top shape.

Wouldn't stray far from something that works like that

Had a Husky 61 myself for a LOT of years with so few problems, Like None, that I went after another Husky around 3yrs back, (the 61 was still running fine, 1981- 2007 or so) I think the new one may be a 357XP, something Orange is good enough for me, 20" bar (with an extra bar for big logs) Real Lightwt. Sooo Smooth on the vibration factor and they just never die.

Husqvarna is the only way to go in my opinion
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Wouldn't stray far from something that works like that

Had a Husky 61 myself for a LOT of years with so few problems, Like None, that I went after another Husky around 3yrs back, (the 61 was still running fine, 1981- 2007 or so) I think the new one may be a 357XP, something Orange is good enough for me, 20" bar (with an extra bar for big logs) Real Lightwt. Sooo Smooth on the vibration factor and they just never die.

Husqvarna is the only way to go in my opinion
    You got bigger diameter stuff, so a bigger bar is a good idea.
    The 357 has .7 more bhp. Which is allot for only 1 lb more but $200 more too.
    Got myself almost sold on the 346 XP (may XPG now). with a 20". & maybe a 16" Which will cut 90% of the wood here.
    Want to look/feel them over & decide then. 346 has best vibration dampening rating.
    I think either & I'd be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    For years I owned a Homelite 330 (still have it). Was a great saw, but finding repair parts can be tricky and then expensive to boot.
    New saw is a STIHL MS 250 w/ 16" bar. Saw can be fitted with a 20" bar if need be. Had it three years without a single problem. Have not found a log that can whoop it yet (and believe me I have had some I thought were candidates!). Mostly cut hardwoods- oak, hickory, & hedge.
    Might want to give it a looksee and compare
    This is the saw I just bought. I got the 20" bar. So far real happy with it. It has alot of power and is light enough for me. Also Im real happy so far with the dealer on post road.

I too almost went with the husky, but a phone call to my dad, pushed me towards the stihl. He said that both brands are good, but if the price is about the same he would go with the stihl. He is a land surveyor and knows his saws.

I believe That I paid 470 for the saw, a case, an extra chain, oils and a sharpening kit.

I had a Husky 359 for several years in California. I used wood exclusively for heat in the winter and I usually went through about 8 cords a year. I ran a 24" bar and never felt I needed more power. I cut cedar, oak, Tamarack, and various pines. I never had a problem with it, and would not hesitate to recommend it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

This post show the problem.
    There are several good saws to choose from.
    Top 2 brands seem to be Stihl & Husqvarna.

I've looked at Stihls, now want to look a Huskys.
    The heated grips may be a good selling feature, I do most of my cutting in the winter.
    Light weight is a big selling feature to.
    Leaning toward Husq on paper & online specs are good.
    Either brand & I'd have a saw to last & cut wood.
    Other woodcutters opinions helps too.

It's a "guy thing", to kick the tires & waffle back & forth.
    & have fun checking several models out, Guy shopping I guess

Good feedback guys
    Thanks

I'm not a pro and don't know the difference in saw models until I ask. Stihl makes some saws that spin faster and some with more grunt. Different tools for different missions. I suspect the same is true for Husky. Be honest with the sales guy and let him help fit you with the right saw. Ak Specialty Equipment did just that for my latest Stihl purchase. Without their guidance I would have bought the wrong saw for the intended chore.

Good point.
    It is OK to have a little "too much" saw for your needs,
    but not so good to have "too little" .