Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 325 wsm experience?

Default 325 wsm experience?

Does anyone have some experience with the 325 wsm? I'm thinking about a new Winchester model 70 severe weather. I read somewhere about a feeding issue during r&d but I believe that was corrected before the cartige went into production. The New model 70 has a lot of features and the ballistics of the 325 look good.

Thanks!

I love mine, we are way beyond the dating phase. True love I would say for sure. Check out these links.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...670#post817670

Good luck
    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The short mags are getting enough age that the initial feeding issues have largely been corrected by manufacturers. I've been shooting a .300WSM for four years now and I rather like it.

The .325 is an excellent cartridge and several folks on this board put it to good use.

The one i saw in action this fall was pretty impressive. Hammered 3 shots into a wounded grizzly with a definate reaction from the bear after each shot. The only thing I'm not crazy about, other than the fact that it's a shortmag, is the small bullet selection. ID like to see a heavier bullet like a 250gr or so in a good premium style. I was not terribly impressed with the performance of the 200gr Accubond.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    The one i saw in action this fall was pretty impressive. Hammered 3 shots into a wounded grizzly with a definate reaction from the bear after each shot. The only thing I'm not crazy about, other than the fact that it's a shortmag, is the small bullet selection. ID like to see a heavier bullet like a 250gr or so in a good premium style. I was not terribly impressed with the performance of the 200gr Accubond.
    I have had incredible results with accubonds handloaded. I found them to hold together well and to leave gaping wounds.

Founding Member

Thanks for the reply Steve. The pics are fantastic (the info was nice too). I don't reload though. Can this accuracy be expected with Winchester factory loads? IE the 200 gr accu-bond or the new Winchester XP3 bullets (don't quote me on the last, I believe that's what they call it)?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Thanks for the reply Steve. The pics are fantastic (the info was nice too). I don't reload though. Can this accuracy be expected with Winchester factory loads? IE the 200 gr accu-bond or the new Winchester XP3 bullets (don't quote me on the last, I believe that's what they call it)?
    I only shot one box of the cheapest factory stuff I could find and the first three down the pipe were sub MOA. The new Winchesters are made by FNH and they have a great rep, they combined the old with some new and have a real winner, you watch and see.

Steve
    Founding Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a buddy with a 300WSM and he loves it. His is a Tikka and appears to be very accurate with factory loads. He likes to hunt blacktail with it but is hesitant about moose and larger bears. I have a 338 win mag and love it except it seems to make rather large holes in smaller game under 150 yards even with 200gr bullets. I'm thinking the 325WSM may fill the gap with a lighter load and still be able to compete with the 338 with heavier bullets (at least that's what I'm telling my wife). I just want another rifle for the safe!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The short mags are getting enough age that the initial feeding issues have largely been corrected by manufacturers. I've been shooting a .300WSM for four years now and I rather like it.

The .325 is an excellent cartridge and several folks on this board put it to good use.
    Thanks for the reply.

I picked up a Browning Ti in 325wsm last winter and when hunting season rolled around this year I put it to good use. Took a black bear and moose on one trip and just dropped a goat on Tuesday. I'm shooting handloaded 200 gr Accubonds. The blackie and goat were clean pass throughs with large exit wounds. The moose was a one shot kill slightly quartered towards me. Hit him right behind the shoulder taking out a lung and liver. He wobbled for a minute then laid down dead without taking a step.

This is my new go to rifle. It's light weight, comfortable, and shoots moa groups. I shot some 220gr factory Win Power Points to sight in my scope and shot moa with those as well as my handloads. The only downside is the limited factory bullet selection, but once you find a round you like, you can buy 4-5 boxes and call it good for many years to come.

I bought the 325wsm originally because the rifle was too good of a buy to pass up and know I'm in love. And I don't think it's just a fling.

+1 for me. I have a Kimber 325, had it since 2005. No feeding problems at all. Mine shoots factory 200gr Accubonds submoa. I now load them to factory velocity, about 2940. Shot a ram and a bull moose with them this year. The first year I had it with factory loads I shot a ram at about 400yds, my buddy shot his ram with it at about 250 and I shot a moose at 315 yds. Recovered that bullet. Last year I shot an interior griz with it with 220gr Sierra Gameking handloads at 2800fps. 165yds, complete pass throughs all shots. Including busting shoulders and spine. I call it the "little 8" as opposed to the "Big 8" 8mm Rem Mag. Ballistically it is about the same unless a guy is loading the big 8 hot. The 220gr Gameking was made specifically for the big 8. It has a thicker jacket.

I love my Kimber 325. With the 2.5-8x36 Loopy and a light sling it's 7lbs, it's all the rifle I need. I figure if I can't get it done with a 200gr AB or 220gr 8mm gameking or swift a-frame at 2800fps, I'll buy a 375H&H. Like if I ever hunt Kodiak Griz or some crazy thing like that. My .02.

Recovered 200gr AB, factory load. 2940+fps, 315yds. Busted the hump/spine.

Last edited by Snyd; 12-23-2010 at 23:25.

Those are some impressive looking results from the accubonds there guys. The only reason I said I haven't been impressed with the Accubonds is the last shot into above mentioned bear. Beautiful shot, right between the shoulderblades as the bear headed toward us. Bullet hit the spine dead center and completely grenaded, didn't even break the backbone, I have the hide here infront of me with a fist sized hole in it. Now I realize all bullets will have a failure from time to time, but the guy shooting it said the last deer he took with it had a basketball sized exit on a broadside chest shot.

On the otherhand if the Swift A-frame is available like Snyd says, the handloadr would be all set in my eyes. I know the OP said he don't handload but with 325 ammo going for around 50-80$ a box he will have a great reason to start.

Ya, 200 and 220gr A-frames. Woodleigh makes a 250gr .323. I wonder how much it encroaches on case capacity though. Barnes used to make a 250gr.

I'm going to load up some of these to take to Cordova for BB if I get get someone to go.

Steve
    Founding Member

Nosler has beefed up the jacket of the Accubonds - especially those in the .308 cal. and above. The jacket thickness is like their Partition but of course doesn't have the partition between the two layers of lead. Their Ballistic Tips are still a true cup & core bullet certainly suitable for a lot of thin skinned game.

The 300WSM has been out 10 years now and has made a significant dent in the 300 magnum area of cartridges. You can get "magnum performance" in a short action rifle that is lighter and shorter than almost all of its counterparts. Its a win win in all respects.

Nosler now uses the 300WSM for ALL its accuracy testing for bullets in the .308 diameter.

Default Effective, but spendy factory ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Plenty of success stories without many complaints that I've read on this cal. I've done more shooting than hunting with my .325WSM, purchased in excellent condition from another Forum member in 2008. It took me awhile to get the hang of shooting a bolt action 30 cal, but I enjoy shooting and have practiced a lot- 20 boxes now - with no feeding problems at all. This seems one of a handful of calibers that can do many things well in Alaska and I enjoy shooting this rifle.

Only comment I'd add is, if you're going to shoot factory ammo, go out and price some boxes before you commit. All ammo is spendy maybe, but I've seen .325 priced from $65 to $79/box since I started buying ammo. It adds up, depending on how much you expect to shoot of course. Ten boxes is getting up to the price of a new rifle shooting factory stuff for this caliber. One other point - if you're planning a hunt, plan your ammo in advance. The 200 grain Accubonds were scarce around town (Anch and Valley) when I was stocking up for a Sept flyout. Don't wait too late.

Good luck.

Thanks again for the information.

Learned the hard way about ammo this year as well. I couldn't find a box of 225gr Winchester Supreme Accubonds in 338Win Mag anywhere. Ended up buying the 200gr ballistic silvertips. I wish I could find a few boxes of the old 230gr Winchester Supreme Fail-Safes. My 338 shoots those rounds better than anything else. I don't know if it's the Lubalox coating or what but for some reason the coated rounds from Winchester, whether it's the 200gr Ballistic, the 225gr Accubonds or the old 230gr Fail-Safes out perform everything else. I would really like to see Winchester make their new bullet in a 230gr 338WM.

I don't expect to do a large amount of shooting with the 325WSM and just don't have the time to reload right now but it would be a great solution to the $60+ box of ammunition. Thanks again for the help.

I have a Kimber in .325wsm. I shoot 180 grain Barnes TSX. I've taken moose, black bear, and deer. I had a pass through on a broadside moose this year at 200 yards. I'm not sure what more anyone could want from an all around Alaskan gun. Well....perhaps a .375 or .416 if you were only hunting coastal brownies.

Brett

I own the Savage weather warrior, lefty in .325 wsm that I bought earlier this year. Am shooting 200 grain TSX. Have only taken one critter ~ Moose. I love the caliber, the trigger on the Savage and the Nikon scope. It will be my go to rifle for all Alaska hunts, sans brown bear only.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast