Thread: Question about these kinds of jigs Pic included

Default Question about these kinds of jigs Pic included

Just wondering how these Kife or Butterfly jig work for Halibut and Lingcod. I have some of the boneyard jigs and they worked out ok. Just wondering if any of you use these kinds of jigs. Any favorite colors?

I used some butterfly jigs like the ones pictured this past summer and caught fish. I didn't try a pink one, but caught ling, rockfish, flatfish, and salmon o the rest. They sure drop fast and stay down. I like them. Spendy, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

we now have a 6 inch jigger bone two color grub that will be a favorite with all halibut and rockfish fans..thanks to all of the forum members and tackle dealers and charter operators.........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

The butterfly jigs work good. I try to have several different types on board. Bone yard baits also work good.

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    we now have a 6 inch jigger bone two color grub that will be a favorite with all halibut and rockfish fans..thanks to all of the forum members and tackle dealers and charter operators.........
    Are they on your website yet?

yes they are......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Pretty Jigs

Pretty darn effective that is, at least with rock fish and cod. I had some trouble learning how to jig them at depth keeping the hook from getting tangled with my line so I loop a rubber band through the eyelet on the bottom and over the hook. As Spoiler noted above, they can be spendy....stop by the credit union before you go shopping. You'll need a small loan to carry you thhrough the summer if you buy too many of these things.

They "saved the day" for us a couple of times this summer when anchored on fish, but they weren't hitting. Those days when any halibut you catch has a rock hard belly, it's so full.

Flopping them upright from flat on the bottom, then flat again drew strikes when nothing else would do it.

Otherwise, I can't say they worked better than any other jig. In average conditions, if they caught fish so did most every other jig, especially when drifting.

I carry them, but due to expense I don't even put them on until everything else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    Pretty darn effective that is, at least with rock fish and cod. I had some trouble learning how to jig them at depth keeping the hook from getting tangled with my line so I loop a rubber band through the eyelet on the bottom and over the hook. As Spoiler noted above, they can be spendy....stop by the credit union before you go shopping. You'll need a small loan to carry you thhrough the summer if you buy too many of these things.
    I have not had a problem wrapping the hooks on my line. I do use a stiff, mono leader, though. That could have something to do with it. I had some friends send me about three dozen of these jigs last spring. I would never have purchased them. After using them, I will always have a few on the boat. I wonder how they would do on big char and lakers through the ice?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The green colored ones work great or lings out in PWS. Never had a problem with them tangling on the main line either but I use 100lb. mono as a shock leader also. I will have to give them a try for halibut as detailed in Brownbear's post.
    BK