Thread: Need ideas for Tree Stand that I can sleep in.

Default Need ideas for Tree Stand that I can sleep in.

Thinking about spring bear hunting next year and needed some help coming up with a design or off the shelf product that will fill my needs.

Back Story:

The area that I hunt is set up with a hanging single person tree stand as well as a game camera. Last season was the first year I hunted it and I didn't see anything during the hours that I was in sitting the stand. I hiked into the stand at first light and often sat it until just before dark. Well, the camera often showed a black bear hanging out in the hour just before sunrise until about 20 minutes after. Sometimes it showed them (different bears at different times) coming in right at sunset and hanging out into the night.

I slept in my tree stand two nights and had a Grizzly (didn't shoot, hunting blackies) one of those mornings. The tree stand was not at all comfortable as it is a small one. The only way I could sleep was to take a rope and wrap it around myself and then to the tree to hold myself upright. With my head hanging off to the side I was able to get the 6 or so hours of sleep during the dark hours. It was pretty cold as my rigging kept me from wrapping in a sleeping bag.

I hunt solo in this area and it is 1 mile uphill from the truck. So I don't like the idea of going in 1 hour before sunup or coming out after it's dark. Just don't like the idea of running into the grizzlies I have seen in there. I want to set up something so I can spend the night and be in position for the late evening and early morning critter movement.

So I'm looking for ideas on how to set up a hanging bivy ledge. In rock climbing they have "Porta-ledges" and I was hoping to do something like that off of two large trees. By the regulations it has to be non-permanent, and I would like it to be modular as I am going to have to hike it in there.

What I have been thinking is try to get a hold of aluminum tubing and then make a 6 foot by 2.5 foot rectangle out of it. Then possibly set up some old climbing ropes to hold it in place? I was thinking pins to put the frame together but then it might be loud. Trying to keep this thing quiet.

Any ideas, input, or past experience would be great.

Thanks

Building scaffolding, camo it, build a blind on it with a security ledge around it so you don't roll out while taking a nap. It's temporary and you can set it anywhere with ease if you buy the adjustable legs. Hit the gym and the road for it will take some work to haul it very far!

Default stand

http://www.treelounge.com/
    The black one in the middle type i have used. I used to fall asleep in the thing.always felt safe.Once in you can,t roll out of. They been around long time.
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 10-14-2010 at 19:36. Reason: more

Would a climber work for the type of tree you're gonna hang it in? Most climbing stands now are pretty stable, and if you wear a harness (as we all should) you couldn't fall out if you tried. The good ones weigh about 20 pounds, so not too bad to hump up to your location.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Might be a little on the expensive side, but a portaledge would work.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portaledge
    $600 gets you double
    http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho..._id=GoogleBase

Default I second the tree lounge

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    http://www.treelounge.com/
    The black one in the middle type i have used. I used to fall asleep in the thing.always felt safe.Once in you can,t roll out of. They been around long time.
    Best one I could find (long time ago) and I don't know of a better one today.

http://www.treelounge.com/products/Items/67.htm

I have the bow hunting addition that adds a floor, the camo addition that adds "walls" and a roof that does repel rain, and the wheels/axle addition that turns it into a game cart too. And also the arctic kit that adds padding/insulation everywhere you might touch.

Very safe to sleep in. And comfy too.

The tree lounge idea has merit, but I think I could probably build a 6x3 bed for half that.

I was thinking about getting 3ea of 6 foot aluminum tubing. Cut one in half to use as the ends and the other 2 use for the long sides. Get some corner pieces and make a 6x3 aluminum frame that I can sew a fabric bed for.

Does anybody have any aluminum experience? What would you recommend I use to hold 250 lbs (me plus gear). Rod or tubing? What thickness? Alloy?

I think I can probably lash the one side to two trees, then have longer ropes that will go from the far side to the trees above to keep the bed level.

What do you think?

Default $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    The tree lounge idea has merit, but I think I could probably build a 6x3 bed for half that.
    yeah it ain't cheap, especially when you buy every last addition they offer for it.... gulp. In addition to all the options I mentioned that I have for mine, I also have both a gun rack and a bow rack for mine. Oh yeah, and the camo bag that sits under the stand (clips to it) to hold all the junk I bring up the tree with me; food, water, clothing, p bottle....

I use two ropes not one, to pull my my junk up the tree after I self-climb the stand up there.

Oh yeah, also a leather sheath camo-duct-taped to one side of the stand that holds a small tree limb saw.... Gizmo heaven, but it really does work well.