Thread: jim

Default jim

hunted jim this morning....all i can say is you better have a motor to break the ice. probably almost 1/4 an inch me and one other guy out there. we dropped a few golden eyes and we crumpled a flock of mergies... didnt see much flying at all head to the ocean

I bet there's several along Earthquake Park.. big, fat mallards too. You might be able to take a handful of corn down there and talk them into your car.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

eh i kinda like eatin the salmon flavored mallards. corn fed ducks are over rated.

Ice is lame... i hate it when there is ice on the ponds

Quote Originally Posted by AkhuntNfish907 View Post
    Ice is lame... i hate it when there is ice on the ponds
    But when it's just right it can be really GOOD.

Default Jim on Friday morning

Mud and Gull lakes have 1/2 inch or more ice. The only thing I saw on them were the small groups of swans.

Jim Lake has about 1/2 inch as well, but it is weak and there is open water around the edges where the springs are. Still just swans with the occasional golden eye. Nothing flew on the north side of the lake. One guy broke ice to the south side and he shot a few times before I left at noon.

The creeks are open so if you can get into them you might be able to drift along and jump one or two of the flocks that hang out in the moving water.

Reflections lake on the Knik was iced and very full. The back side appears to have been flooded by beavers.

Ice is sticking to the sides of Rabbit slough at the launch area. this weekend might be one of those iced birds weekends for the duck lake crowd.

Time to pack up my gear and keep training the dog for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    been flooded by beavers.

Ice is sticking to the sides of Rabbit slough at the launch area. this weekend might be one of those iced birds weekends for the duck lake crowd.

That's what we're hoping for.

Heading out now with a few buddies...See you there Bob...we will report upon return....going to video this hunt...might be the last.

Overall....not a bad year...but still want that redleg!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

A little to much ice in some spots and not enough in others. Seemed to me that the ducks had to many places to land on the lake. My boat (two guys) picked up 4. 2 malls 2 pins, and missed one other mall. Only shooting we had. If I had known about the open water before I set up things may of been better. Over a inch of ice in some spots on the lake but not that bad going. The slough on the other hand was choked with ice on all the corners. Don't think I would even try an outboard (prop), and definitely not a jet.

Great hunt...but busting ice was crazy..loocked like AK Duckman stated...only 3 small open holes on the lake..pretty tough going through the ice..overall bagged 10 mallards and one gadwall...should have had around 15-18 if we all three were shooting. I did get 2 doubles with the old spanish S/S 20ga...great trip.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Sunday was much easier negotiating the ice. A bit warmer. Awesome hunting if you know how to work it. We (2) bagged 14. Mallards, pins, widgeon and some accidental spoonies. LOL

If the temps stay where they are this week...might get one more weekend out of the marsh in certain areas..noticed the winds opened up some holes yesterday. Either that or hit the river...

I flew up and took a look at Friday creek today. It is true.... Friday is slowly being diverted. There are several braided channels but the one with the most water was flowing into the Knik instead of the upper ends of the swamp. So the record water levels will go away and the swamp will go back to the levels I remember in the early 90's. In the 90's I remember Friday being a raging torrent flowing right into the Knik. The only time you could cross it with a four wheeler was early morning when the days melt water had subsided. Over the years the channel had changed and the water started going more into the head waters of the swamp region. Now the channel is fluctuating again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    I flew up and took a look at Friday creek today. It is true.... Friday is slowly being diverted. There are several braided channels but the one with the most water was flowing into the Knik instead of the upper ends of the swamp. So the record water levels will go away and the swamp will go back to the levels I remember in the early 90's. In the 90's I remember Friday being a raging torrent flowing right into the Knik. The only time you could cross it with a four wheeler was early morning when the days melt water had subsided. Over the years the channel had changed and the water started going more into the head waters of the swamp region. Now the channel is fluctuating again.
    Time for some beavers to come in and fix that problem.

I have an aerial photo of the Leaf/Swan area from September 1996....lots of grass in spots that in 2005 I was running a normal outboard without a lift and not having any issues with the grass.

What I am wondering about now is duck production. Two years of not seeing many birds out there after several years of lots of birds. I know it also has to do with the numbers of birds that fly this far north as well. With the mid west holding water they don't have much of a reason to keep flying north and looking for a good place to nest.

I am planning to go out tomorrow and run around Swan and Leaf lakes, if i find open water and a place to hide a airboat will give it a try. If not, will look at and choose a spot on Jim creek to hunt. I really expected last week when i was at the hayflats to be my last day out, but this warm weather has given me another chance. Bud