Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palin To Cut F&G Funding!!

Default Palin To Cut F&G Funding!!

just got off the horn with a bio asking about some of the BOG proposals and his thoughts, we talked about funding and lack of it.
    He mentioned Govoner Palin is trying to cut the state buget by 120 Million which 4 million of that would be Fish and Game funding...umm do we see a problem here!?! one of the states greatest resources is gonna get the axe...again.

I asked what we could to do push some buttoms and try to make sure this don't happen. the bio said, get in touch with legislatures and push for the license and tag fee increase. its been 15 years since we've had one, but the cost of gas, flying and operating has gone up tremendously. Soooo if you want your sheep counts in the next couple years, we are gonna have to buck and and do something either from our wallets or our keyboards and get something happening!

any other ideas or address, email or otherwise to write to some people to make our voice heard? didn't see palin saying anything about this in the election...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default adfg budget

On the same topic, does anyone know what happens to our permit application fees? I tried to look this up and couldnt find it. I would feel a lot better about my sad sack luck with permits if I knew all of the money was going directly to manage fish and game resources.

Related to this post, I have never heard an outdoorsman complain about fees as long as they knew the money was going directly into the ADFG budget and not diverted elsewhere.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

She did make some very specific statements about cutting the budget and making the agencies more responsible in their actions. There is way too much fat in each and every one of them. Budget cuts are the best way to force the commissioners to focus on what is genuinely important. I applaud her for taking these actions and support her in this. It is difficult to take the gravy away from these beauracratic minded individuals. Leave her be and let her do her job.

Default funding

If this is true, it's the first major problem I've had with the Palin administration, and it's a big one. ADF&G needs more funding, not less.

Does anyone know if the old/new brownshirts will be funded through ADF&G or through public safety? I know for a fact enforcement needs to be stepped up.

ak res "Leave her be and let her do her job"

why would we leave her alone..we voted for her, we put her there, she works for us...am i right? shes one person in a long chain of command. but when fish and game is hurting already, to take a 4 million dollar hit is kinda serious, exspecially when it comes to a resource like wildlife, not just hunters. we're talkign fisherman, cruise ships, sightseers, denali, mcneil you name it, not just guys trying to kill stuff. alaska is tourism.

Is this really taking "gravy" away from fish and game? or is this just taking the potatoes too?
    Master guide 212

It is her decision alone to determine what is gravy and what are potatoes. We voted her in, because of our trust in her to do the right thing. Now you advocate telling her what to do. I don't see the logic in your reaction to her doing what she has been elected to do. She only recommends a budget to the legislature. Then each Rep and Sen gets the opportunity to twist it around to meet their local desires. Need is not in these peoples vocabulary and Gov Palin knows this. It is about getting control of the zealouts, plain and simple. The more they have, the more they want, want leads to bad JuJu. Give her a chance to get the State spending back under control. She did not simply come up with figures on her own. She has an intellegent group of advisors surrounding herself. At least for her first term, she will not be nearly as corrupt as some of the professional politicians. Let it go.

Let it go....go where? i'm not talking about other programs i'm talking about F&G, cut them by 4 million and let them go where? sure theres a million aspects of her decision we dont' see, numbers we'll never know. but from whats on the table does this decision not in the least make you wonder where its going?? or to you is it, just ok, cut F&G funding everything will be ok...just gotta give it some time? those people making these decisions probably don't have joe averages interests at heart.

I didn't tell her what to do, i just wanna know why/or how cutting funding for programs that don't have enough funding to begin with is gonna help anything in the long run. if you could just help me there, i'd be ok with letting it "go". hard to let something go to that hasn't even came yet.

i just wanna understand thats all....ride on me for that if you want, but i'm just not getting it.
    Master guide 212

It is time to start charging fair market value for ALL of our resources. Until then budget cuts across the board are inevitable. Sad to see.

Where would you have her get that 4 million from?

let me put this is terms smart peoples wilt understand... i dont' understand how govt works. funding, cuts spending all that i'm not familiar with. i'm not asking questions to have people answer me with questions, i'm asking questions to try and get some answers to understand whats going....? same page now...ook good.

Last i heard, we were doing good as far as having a surplus, in the green so to speak, why do we need a budget cut like this and why do we need to take it from people like fish and game?
    Master guide 212

We need budget cuts to fund the logevity bonus that all the retired lower 48ers move here to collect!
    I thought F&G budget was mostly license/tag fees and PR funds. Not that much gen fund money. Don't see how she's gonna get 4 mil away from F&G.
    Whoever we elect, pres, gov., legislator..........it is our RIGHT to continue a dialog with them on how we want things managed. The idea to elect and then shut up is rediculous.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

While we currently have a budget surplus, North Slope oil production is in decline, which means that in the not so distant future, we will have a serious budget shortfall. One can either try and get responsible about spending now and trim down government, which allow current funds to push us along much longer, or we can let the guvment swallow up every last penny of surplus now and bloat the government so we have an even more serious shortfal sooner.

I've worked government, and there is plenty of fat to be cut. The only way to cut it is to reduce funding. Unfortunately beurocrats have the amazing ability to figure all funding cuts should come from what their departments are supposed to do, and they never off to cut folks who contribute little to nothing to the purpose of that guvment entity.

A perfect example is the Anchorage shool distract, with a budget shortfall did they suggest they cut their overhead, ie administration staff? Heck no, it was fire teachers and drop sports. That was guranteed to anger parents and get letter written to legislators. Unfortunately those letters didn't say stop holding our kids hostage and get rid of the dead weight.

yaaa i'm starting to see a little better now...i knew about the anchorage school situation, don't they use the budget as leverage for gaining on something they want? by picking topics that really get people going, are they just trying to get what they want or is there a legitment concern for costs there?
    Master guide 212

Duh, who seriously though Palin wouldn't cut funding to important things?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Last edited by RainGull; 02-12-2007 at 14:18.

http://www.gov.state.ak.us/omb/08_OM...ish/dept11.pdf

This has a lot of good trend information.

Like:

Division staff conducted wildlife survey and inventory management projects for 11 big game species (black and brown bears, bison, caribou, Dall sheep, deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, muskox, and wolf) as well as furbearers and migratory birds across 26 game management units and sub-units.

This is refering to "major accomplishments in 2006."

Page 21 of this document seems to actually indicate an increased budget!

I am just not seeing the purported cuts looking at the budget. Am I missing something? Anyone find anything?
    Last edited by RainGull; 02-12-2007 at 14:38.

the bio i talked to said they hadn't done moose surveys yet this winter, wrong snow conditions...

should we congradulate them on doing their job? what a weird situation.
    Master guide 212

All I can find are proposed increases?

whole lotta numbers in there, geez.i know the big budget cut was on the news the other day but just for a second. it was the first i'd heard about it.

like say i spoke with the bio today in palmer and he told me about it. maybe its a new thing?
    Master guide 212

Default Cuts

Raingull,

Your not seeing the cuts because government budgets don't work like yours at home. A cut to them is when they cut the increases already factored in from the previous year. Let's say last year they spent $1000 dollars on a service. And this year the same service is going to cost $2000. If they spend $1750 they consider it a $250 dollar cut in spending. Even though they are actually spending $750 dollars more than last year.

Now I haven't actually looked at the fish and game budget, but I see other government agencies pull this one on the voters all the time.

Default Raise License Fees

Sounds like a bunch of Democrats in this room. Everybody wants something for free. I hunt out of state every year and in Colorado they seem to raise license fees for us non-residents every year. We get nailed for search and rescue fees, wildlife education, and some other conservation fee. Residents pay for every license that they buy. You want to hunt deer....Cha-Ching, You want to hunt Elk....Cha-Ching, You want to hunt pheasants....Cha-Ching. Why doesn't Alaska do this? You've got to admit that the $55-ish dollars we pay for unlimited hunting and fishing privledges is cheap. I'd pay an extra $25 per year on my license to fund the Fish and Game. If we stuck it to every vacationer that wants to fish or hunt we'd be close to making up that 4 million. Lets give Sarah credit for doing what needs to be done. That former worthless Governor should have done more to cut the budget but instead spent the entire surplus we had. Give it a few years when oil is back to $45 / barrel and you'll all be crying because they want your PFD or an implementation of a sales tax. But if you really want to fill your freezer for free, you could get a Ninilchik address.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast