Thread: Polaris Snow-Go Upgrades

Default Polaris Snow-Go Upgrades

I've a '99 Polaris SKS 700. I need to make a few parts changes and I'd like to do a couple upgrades at the same time. I'm looking for some information to lead me in the right direction.

I need to replace/upgrade the suspension. I was given the machine last season after it had set without moving for at least 4 years. I replaced the engine and clutch and some various other parts and rode most of last season w/o issue except that the sled bottomed out with increasing frequency during the season. I suspect that I should replace the OEM rear shock and also think spring upgrades would be worthwhile. Recommendations as to type/brand of shock and where to procure said item? My weight, a can of fuel and lunch will nudge #300.

I am also considering replacing the OEM 136 track with a taller lug track. I'd like to extend the track to 144 or longer at the same time. What say you? The longer tracked sleds of my buddies seemed to more at home in the hills & mountains. Last season was my first real season of snow machining. I'd love to hear the thoughts of those in the know. How involved/expensive is such an extension? Is it going to be a durable upgrade for my sled?

Thanks for your time,

rob
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

You might start with getting the rear shocks rebuilt. Not cheap, but cheaper then brand new shocks. I don't anything about switching to a longer track, but it sounds like selling that sled and getting one that has the track length you want might be cheaper and easier in the end.

If your shocks are OEM they are probably no rebuildable. If you plan on keeping this machine then upgrade, otherwise I'd suggest new OEM shocks.

Take a close look at the Hyfax (plastic wear bar on the rails) There is a molded line indicating max recomended wear. If you have the skid aprt already might as well replace these too.

If you upgrade the track make sure you have clearence at the front of the tunnel. I'm unfamiliar with the 99 SKS but if it has a front heat exchanger you'll be limited as to lug height.

You may be able to extend the rails out to 144 but you might need new rails. Talk to Chad at A2D sledworks and then check out AK Snowmachine Salvage for the parts.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

New shocks would be a plus. I would stay away from the OEM, they are expensive, and typically are not rebuildable. I put a set of standard fox shocks on my 98 rmk, cost me $325. Then from then on, they are cheap to rebuild, the upside is they can valved for your weight.

Your sled does have a front cooler, and you can put a 2" 144 track on with very little effort, and no clearance issues. As stated above, this would be a good time for new hifax.
    Have fun with that sled, it's not the best, but is a very good sled that is fun to ride. I still ride my 98 600 rmk, and it still rocks,(basically the same as your sled).

I appreciate each of the replies. I've contacted Chad at A2D and he has been extremely helpful--new shocks & torsion springs are on the way and the sled stretch is well underway. Thanks again for the information.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.