Thread: Found a Duck

Default Found a Duck

Okay I live in North Pole and walked out on my back porch to what I think is a Mallard (green Head) sitting there, If he stays what do I do? If its hurt? Is this like normal because I never had this happen he gets within 3 feet of me, and just sits there none of my neighbors have animals so I dont think anyone owns him like a pet, not sure if that is even legal. My 2 year old thinks its great. I am not a duck hunter, was just curious if someone out there can give some advice.

That bird is hurt...totally out of the norm. Could be parasites, some form of disease or the result of being shot. If it does not fly away and just hangs around when you approach it....maybe it is hoping you will invite it inside for some warmth...lol...who knows..could be numerous reasons why..but it is not normal.

If you eat duck...give it a try..if not then call the local Vet or AFG guys and have them come pick it up.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Sounds like a Mallard Drake to me. You could just pick it up and see if it's hurt. If he's hurt, you might call animal control (if you have one) or a friend who has their duck stamps .

Maybe you just want to let your 2 year old continue to watch it and have a fun time looking at it and let it go on its way.

Erich

When I was a little kid my dad brought home a mallard drake that he lightly wounded while hunting. We kept it as a pet over the winter and released it in a physically fit condition in the spring when the birds returned.

Dad was in obvious violation of the law but nobody dropped a dime on him and we had a winter to grow fond of the duck.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Soup!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I shot one last season that appeared stone-dead for several hours. I got home from hunting and had to go to work, so I put the duck in the refrigerator until I could clean it later. When I returned and opened the fridge, the duck jumped out and walked around the kitchen quacking. They're tough birds.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

If the bill is a inch or so wide,with no white ring around the neck below the green, it would be a spoonie. First "mallard" I ever shot was a spoonie. To the ignorant they can be very simular with green heads. I agree with Jake, might be a fun thing for the kids this winter, just warn them the duckie could die at any time. Don't worry about the cold, that won't bother them, make sure he has ater and some feed. You should be able to catch him easily, perhaps with a fish net, soon he will come to you for food. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by jake windemere View Post
    When I was a little kid my dad brought home a mallard drake that he lightly wounded while hunting. We kept it as a pet over the winter and released it in a physically fit condition in the spring when the birds returned.

Dad was in obvious violation of the law but nobody dropped a dime on him and we had a winter to grow fond of the duck.
    Thanks for bringing back memories of an experience very similar to yours! One of my earliest memories. In our case, a wounded wood duck was, I believe, dropped off by our rural mail carrier. "Woodie" spent the winter quartered behind the heat stove and flew away likewise healthy the next spring.