Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nelchina herd

Smile nelchina herd

So, the Nelchina permits will be mailed tomorow right? Where is the herd located this time of year? What is the snow situation so is this a snowmachine hunt?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Where did you get the information that the permits will be mailed tomorrow? Have they announced the winners? If so, where?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wow... i have to say you would be the first TIER II eligible person i have ever met that did not know the herd movement or conditions this time of year... i expect that unless it snows... you will be able to drive up and shoot one near a road. IF you receive a tag.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    wow... i have to say you would be the first TIER II eligible person i have ever met that did not know the herd movement or conditions this time of year... i expect that unless it snows... you will be able to drive up and shoot one near a road. IF you receive a tag.
    We were thinking alike that is scary.

Still, where did the rumor that permits are getting mailed out come from.

Run Whatcha Brung:

The weather this year has been unpredictable. I suggest taking a wheeler, snowmachine and a raft/canoe/small boat, so you will be prepared for whatever you face. You don't need any of them to get a Caribou, but anyone of them will make it easier, if you have them. Be sure to take warm clothes/boots as well as hip boot or waders (creeks are not frozen yet).
    I haven't heard if there are any close to Lake Louise yet, so I am betting not many. But it is always worth a slight detour and drive in there for a looksee on your way up, if you are going that way anyway. Besides that, there is always a bunch of grouse and fox in there to shoot.
    There is a small resident bunch along the west end of the Denali Hwy. They linger there all winter. Best bet with them, is to catch them close to the road, early in the season. Focus your effort between Brushkana Creek and Clearwater Creek.
    The bulk of the herd will be coming out of the Alphabet Hills on the east end of the Denali. They will hit the Dickie/Tangle Lakes Region first and then move easterly and southernly. You can often intercept them anywhere along this route. Early on go to the Tangles. As the season progresses, focus your effort in the Summit Lake area. If you see one across the Gulkana from that point, you will need a small boat/raft to get across. The federalies generally have the area around Paxson Lake and Hogan's Hills on the Richardson pretty well sewed up, as they wait in the bar ditches to catch them coming across the road. So if you are going to hunt in this area, you need to get back off the road on one of the good trails there. Further into the season, you will need to head up to the Chistochina/Grizzly Lake/Slana area, on the Tok Cutoff. Drive slow getting to where you are going, and watch for sign. You are likely to see them anywhere along the way. The overwhelming vast majority of the Caribou are killed right along side of the major highways. When you get to a vista that offers a good view, stop and glass the hills and swamps. Then figure out what is needed to make it happen. Take a backpack and a small kids pull sled.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Where did you get the information that the permits will be mailed tomorrow? Have they announced the winners? If so, where?
    The announcement made weeks ago regarding the Tier II season states that permits will be mailed NLT 15 October. I do not believe they have announced winners yet, and would be quite surprised if they actually mail them out tomorrow.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Oh, well I dont think I will get one until a lot of people die or the herd grows. But if they give out 5,000 I get one. If they give out a thousand or two I obviously dont. I have always hunted them in the Fall in Sept. We used to fly in or hunt out of lake louise and the last time I got tier II a few years ago I just hunted off the Denali. But I always thought they moved over towards Tok in the Winter and thereby would cross the highways. I am curious what type of hunt this will be. I have coworkers who got Tier I and didnt harvest anything and know others who got caribou elsewhere so there might be more permits available....

BTW the hunt starts the 21st of Oct.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Information for 2010 Tier II Permittees
    The Tier II drawing application period will close at 5pm October 5th.
    Unit 13 Tier II Drawing permits will be mailed no later than October 15th.
    Hunt Information Links

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    As Sollybug pointed out in his second post, a lot of Tier II-eligible folks primarily fill their tags in the fall, so this might be their first go-round on the winter hunt after many years of taking one in the fall. The winter hunt is a different game at times, so it's a reasonable question.

Good info from Akres. Take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Oh, well I dont think I will get one until a lot of people die or the herd grows. But if they give out 5,000 I get one. If they give out a thousand or two I obviously dont. I have always hunted them in the Fall in Sept. We used to fly in or hunt out of lake louise and the last time I got tier II a few years ago I just hunted off the Denali. But I always thought they moved over towards Tok in the Winter and thereby would cross the highways. I am curious what type of hunt this will be. I have coworkers who got Tier I and didnt harvest anything and know others who got caribou elsewhere so there might be more permits available....

BTW the hunt starts the 21st of Oct.
    Good Luck to you. Yes, the bulk of the herd moves to the east, but many remain and linger all winter in the Cantwell/Caribou Pass/Brushkana Creek/Butte Lake Region. You can kill these right up to the end of the season, if it doesn't get shut down by Emergency Order. I think there are going to be a lot more pleasantly suprised hunters this year than in the past. Thanks to an exceptional predator control effort by a few.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Talked to a pilot 3 days ago and he said the bulk of the heard, over 30,000 animals are right next to Lake Susitna and west towards Eureaka. He said there were another heard of about 3000 animals in the Tangle lake area. I was up at my cabin and seen caribou EVERYWHERE and they were in FULL on rut. Interupted several mating pairs in my travels. I was trolling for lakers very near the shore on Sunday and had two cows come out of no where and book along the shore right next to the boat then dove off into the brush. Seconds later we hear a bunch of huffing and blowing so I turn around and this bull came crashing into the water right at us! He amost made it to my motor when "I" had to motor ahead and turn to avoid him. He slowly went back to shore, shook off and then proceeded to follow us along the shore grunting and shaking his head. He was full on. He had two broken tines and his ribs were starting to show. I wouldn't plan on any good meat from these animals for several weeks yet. I have pics at home and will try to remember to post some tonight...

I was given information from ADFG today while I was in the office that the winners will be announced today, at latest first thing in the morning if something goes wrong. Also was told that they will be mailed tommorow.
    Cheers
    Jason

Unhappy bummer

Never thought about that. Well that sucks. People are supposed to try and shoot bulls, but if they taste bad this time of year so they might take many cows which wouldnt be good for future hunts...

If they're concerned about potential overgrazing due to a high population, then harvesting cows isn't necessarily a bad thing for future hunts. Keeping the herd within sustainable limits is better than letting it get too large. While more calves might be produced in the short term, the long term numbers would be jeopardized by an overpopulated range.

If managers deem there to be a harvestable surplus of cows and want to thin the herd a bit, I will not hesitate to pull the trigger on one.

jnalaska and sollybug - thanks for the information. The ADF&G is a tangled web of links regarding the Tier I and II hunts and I'm sure I saw that information back when I applied but darned if I couldn't find it again. Thanks.

I'm heading to Eureka this weekend hopefully back to the Little O, if I see anything I'll post. But, heck a week later when the season opens those critters could be in Tok.

Talking yeah right

Well, the ADFG website says 3000 permits. Now if they will only consider the price of gas here in Soldotna compared to Anch and the Valley and a lot of people have died or moved, I could get a permit....

3000 permits for the 2010 Tier II winter caribou season will be mailed out by Friday, October 15

You beat me to it!

I cant believe it I actually got a permit. 28 years old and did not fabricate anything on the app. I only put in so my accrued years don't go away and here I get my first tier permit. I cant use it because I already got my bag limit! Bummer. I am SHOCKED TOTALLY SHOCKED

Quote Originally Posted by jnalaska View Post
    I cant believe it I actually got a permit. 28 years old and did not fabricate anything on the app. I only put in so my accrued years don't go away and here I get my first tier permit. I cant use it because I already got my bag limit! Bummer. I am SHOCKED TOTALLY SHOCKED
    Accrued Years is not a consideration when scoring. Look at the questions again. It doesn't matter whether you've put in for the first time or applied for 50 years. The points are based on "hunted or eaten meat" "any member of the household hunted or eaten meat", " days spend hunting GMU13" "cost of fuel" and "cost of food." I think there are also points given for years of residence in AK.

Wife got a tag, I didn't. Wife has lived here for 32 years, me 12. Wife has hunted or eaten meat from GMU 13 for 17 years, me 12. Member of household has hunted or eaten meat for 17 years. Both of us put the same amount of days hunting/fishing in GMU 13. Both of us put Anchorage as our main residence for the gas and food costs. FIRST TIME WIFE HAS EVER APPLIED FOR Tier II.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast