Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee will have an election

  1. #1
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee will have an election

    Body of Notice:

    The Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee will have an election meeting October 25 at Clark Middle School Multi-purpose Room, located at 150 S Bragaw Street at 6:30 pm for one seat that term expires 12/2011 to fill a vacancy. They will also finalize proposals to the Board of Game for Southcentral Alaska. For more information contact Steve Flory at 727-3762.

    If you’d like to see the proposals that are under consideration by the board’s, please visit the web page at: http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/

    Advisory committees are local groups that meet to discuss fishing and hunting issues and to provide recommendations to Alaska Board of Fisheries and Alaska Board of Game. Advisory Committees are intended to provide a local forum on fish and wildlife issues. Their purpose includes: 1) developing regulatory proposals, 2) evaluating regulatory proposals and making recommendations to the appropriate board, 3) providing a local forum for fish and wildlife conservation and use, including matters relating to habitat, 4) advising the appropriate regional council on resources, and 5) consulting with individuals, organizations, and agencies.

    If you are a person with a disability who needs a special accommodation in order to participate, please contact Sherry Wright at 907-267-2354 (to correspond by text telephone (TDD), call 1-800-478-3648) no later than 48 hours prior to the meeting, to make any necessary arrangements.

    For more information, please contact:

    Sherry.Wright@alaska.gov
    ADF&G Boards Support
    333 Raspberry Road
    Anchorage, AK 99518
    907-267-2354

    Remember last years elections? hundreds and hundreds of people were needed to preven defenders of Wildlife from taking over the AC's... lets get some planning to attend.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  2. #2
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince
    Remember last years elections? hundreds and hundreds of people were needed to preven defenders of Wildlife from taking over the AC's... lets get some planning to attend.


    Golly gee willikers, hundreds and hundreds of SFW and 2A Task Force folks were needed to prevent DOW from taking over the AC last election?

    Fear is such a powerful thing <grin>.

    Oh the irony. The telling part about all that happened last time was that Art Nelson, who used to be on the fish board and is perhaps one of the most knowledgeable and reasonable guys around, was voted off and replaced with Steve Flory, the SFW darling who continues to cause controversy because of his past sex-offender record.

    Art just didn't fit the mold of those groups using fear-mongering bs to stack the AC to their liking. And now you, Vince, are using the same fear-mongering bs over one AC seat.

    Doubt there will really be an election to fill this one seat when there are alternates specifically there for that, costs money to run a special election and Board Support doesn't really have any left to spare. Likely this was public noticed in error before the full AC had a chance to weigh in on it. Doesn't surprise me with Flory now the new Anchorage AC Chair.

    You know, sometimes we hunters really are our own worst enemy.

    Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    [SIZE=4]

    [/COLOR][/B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Golly gee willikers, hundreds and hundreds of SFW and 2A Task Force folks were needed to prevent DOW from taking over the AC last election?

    Fear is such a powerful thing <grin>.

    ]
    ya know mark one thing we have always agreed on is that our opinions may and will differ...

    the difference i don't take resentment to the fact that yours is different then mine. you call this fear mongering?

    what the hell was that in the paper? on the news? in the articles? your own type, of fear mongering to get your way.

    i am simply reminding folks that the Anchorage AC is a volatile AC and if they are concerned they need to attend. fortunately ... we do not have that issue here in Fairbanks.. as well have a very good balanced AC.

    Mark your a good man with a lot to offer.. but GOLLY GEE. i feel you spend to much time working against the average hunter.. rather for them... lets try to simplify things some... and i bet a lot could get done... but sorry bro.. with your pertinence to running to the papers and other... I won't be sharing information with ya any more...

    remember it takes TWO sides, sometimes THREE to make a ballance... unless they are folded up fighting each other all the time...


    and fighting over some stupid issues that honestly prolly has very little long term Biological effect on ANY population... because you don't like it....?????


    there are to many freedoms being taken away... we could however use our differing views... and make something good...

    but that would require conceding ones opinion on occasion.. to honestly find something that may work better then is offered. and i am not sure your ready for that....????

    take care my friend was good to see you at the meeting.

    Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Vince,

    No resentment on my part at all. I'll continue to call them like I see them here on this forum.

    You still making the wednesday lunches at Dennys?


  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post


    Remember last years elections? hundreds and hundreds of people were needed to preven defenders of Wildlife from taking over the AC's... lets get some planning to attend.
    Boy Vince, I was there at last year's election, and it wasn't quite as simple as you portray it here. Not just Art Nelson, but a number of other good, solid sportsmen (a few of them members here) were denied spots on the Board due to a mob mentality. Hundreds of folks showed up, voted without listening to the candidates, and left. I watched it all happen, and the vast majority were voting based upon a list of candidates that had been e-mailed to them by groups such as the Conservative Patriots Group. They all showed up wearing camo, cast their ballot, and didn't even bother to consider that maybe there were other candidates worth considering. At least one of the members here who was running for a spot was actively being labeled in some of these mass e-mails as being an anti-hunter. I found that ironic, since just a week prior he had posted a report on here about a successful goat hunt. So much for accurate information, as long as they're rallying the troops.

    More dangerous than an uninvolved electorate is an uninformed electorate. I'm all about encouraging people to attend such an election, but please folks, if you're going to vote, take the time to listen to the candidates and to consider who will best represent hunters and anglers.

  6. #6

    Default

    It is also the very best place to go, where you can see and identify your enemies and their cronies. Pay very close attention to whom they chump with. It is very telling, when you see them leaning over and whispering in one anothers ear and putting out their body language. I have personally identified several wolve's in sheep's clothing there.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Boy Vince, I was there at last year's election, and it wasn't quite as simple as you portray it here. Not just Art Nelson, but a number of other good, solid sportsmen (a few of them members here) were denied spots on the Board due to a mob mentality. Hundreds of folks showed up, voted without listening to the candidates, and left. I watched it all happen, and the vast majority were voting based upon a list of candidates that had been e-mailed to them by groups such as the Conservative Patriots Group. They all showed up wearing camo, cast their ballot, and didn't even bother to consider that maybe there were other candidates worth considering. At least one of the members here who was running for a spot was actively being labeled in some of these mass e-mails as being an anti-hunter. I found that ironic, since just a week prior he had posted a report on here about a successful goat hunt. So much for accurate information, as long as they're rallying the troops.

    More dangerous than an uninvolved electorate is an uninformed electorate. I'm all about encouraging people to attend such an election, but please folks, if you're going to vote, take the time to listen to the candidates and to consider who will best represent hunters and anglers.
    Brian... i do remember reading on it all... i also wrote the board support staff, commented on it at the BOG state wide meeting and spoke with the (then) anchorage AC chair... Aaron... and spoke to the valley AC about how those meetings were so poorly handled...

    as for the ousted chair you and mark bring up.. i had no knowledge previously of who or whom he was... but i can attest that even at the BOG meetings there are many HUNTERS that side with some activist agencies... for the betterment of their own agendia... and though i count some as friends,,, share drinks with them. and like them greatly as people... i would NOT want them making decisions regarding our resources our the management that effects how you and i Fill our freezer.

    many are simply undereducated in the way of Alaska compared to the Lower 48... though many have bones against the boards, the dept,or other and are the to throw wrenches in the process.

    More dangerous than an uninvolved electorate is an uninformed electorate
    however most of these folks are the same ones that live here next to you and i... post here often asking questions and are pissed at the constant turns that screw them and their families in fair treatment in the field of hunting opportunity.

    your correct the mob mentality should never have been allowed... but the fact remains... there are those out to prevent you and i, as well any other from hunting, fishing and partaking our life style... some will become educated as they learn more about us, some are in it for the funding those issues bring up... some are in it for the fight alone... and some are in it for the political agenda ... a mixed board is good. but top heavy one way or another? good luck getting any new season, or limit.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  8. #8

    Thumbs up

    The most important aspect when voting for any individual in my mind is that they have to share my personal agenda and they have to be progressive in nature. I hate it when one starts a speech about how something Can't Be Done or Shouldn't Be Done. They lose my confidence immediately. I want a CAN DO Candidate to come out on top and then follow up their words, not go home and start writing letters or memoirs. I don't need a legendary figurehead, I need a Doer and Shaker. Hence the reason for booting some out and others in. Complacency and self indulgence has eroded the credibility of the AC and it needed a swift kick in the pants to get others back in line. It has helped.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    I would also like to add one tidbit... that was said to me by ONE department person at this last BOG meeting...

    The average HUNTER is the most under represented person at EVERY AC and BOG meeting... watch the views in this forum... they are VERY LOW... it is the politicking that keeps most folks out.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default I agree with some of what bushrat and Vince both said.

    bushrat, well put, and great replies. (+1)

    Vince, though you post here quite frequently, I can't recollect any post, ever, that you've made, that I agree with more than the exact thing you post below. (also +1 ; it did let me this time) One question though: does anyone know how to change this situation? Please?

    Note that I'm not saying that I agree with everything said so far on this thread; instead I think I've stated very clearly exactly what I do agree with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I would also like to add one tidbit... that was said to me by ONE department person at this last BOG meeting...

    The average HUNTER is the most under represented person at EVERY AC and BOG meeting... watch the views in this forum... they are VERY LOW... it is the politicking that keeps most folks out.

  11. #11
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I would also like to add one tidbit... that was said to me by ONE department person at this last BOG meeting...

    The average HUNTER is the most under represented person at EVERY AC and BOG meeting... watch the views in this forum... they are VERY LOW... it is the politicking that keeps most folks out.
    How in the heck would you define the "average HUNTER". It's all a spectrum:

    die-hard-hunters
    hunters
    occasional and/or opportunistic hunters
    non-hunters (but not opposed to hunting)
    non-hunters (and opposed to hunting)

    But, even this list is far over-simplified and it's likely only applicable on an issue by issue basis.

    On top of that..my list doesn't even touch issues like guided or unguided, or "active management" (and that's a whole 'nother spectrum in and of itself).

    Man...how did I let myself get roped into a discussion on the game side of things?

    After the last AC election go-around...all I would hope for is that they don't issue or accept ballots until nominations are closed and the candidates have had their chance to say their words.

    With that said (and as former BOF member) it was sometimes obvious when an AC was out-of-balance or represented by someone who was pushing their own agenda...and this isn't a statement about Anchorage or any other AC (it depends on the issue). Occasionally, this is no big deal...but if it's a consistent matter, then any AC risks their credibility.

    Back to the fish mgmt forum,
    Art.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I voted in the last Anchorage AC election. I was pleased with the results because we ended up with a group who have supported people who want to harvest wild food - fish and meat. We should all be celebrating that 650 people got off their duff and participated in THEIR process. Instead we're throwing rocks. Right now Anchorage has about the best AC they've had in years. Too bad it's at the time we've got the worst game board we've had in years.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default definition of an average hunter

    Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    How in the heck would you define the "average HUNTER".
    I would define it to be the person who hunts regularly but is VERY non-regularly involved in the politics or regulation of hunting.

    But I can also see that there could be a lot of different definitions... so good on you for asking that question.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    bushrat, well put, and great replies. (+1)

    Vince, though you post here quite frequently, I can't recollect any post, ever, that you've made, that I agree with more than the exact thing you post below. (also +1 ; it did let me this time) One question though: does anyone know how to change this situation? Please?

    Note that I'm not saying that I agree with everything said so far on this thread; instead I think I've stated very clearly exactly what I do agree with.
    FM,
    I suggest you start by examining your beliefs and taking a stand. This wishy washy way you have of addressing issues and seemingly feeling strongly about it both ways, will not achieve your desires. I have yet, to see your posts not to be tapdancing around every given subject. Dancining is for getting your way with women, not with the BOG.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Hey HuntnFish, a question for you

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntnFish
    Right now Anchorage has about the best AC they've had in years.
    HuntnFish, the Anch. AC was late in getting their AC comments in, but Flory delivered them to the board as an RC. I don't have a copy in front of me, but Flory testified for the AC and I heard that and read the RC, and wonder what your take is on some of what they advocated for...

    ...banning any nonresident hunting in any IM area where predator control is being done, waiving the must-be-guided regulation for nonresidents in other areas, and a 10% cap on all nonresident hunting opportunities statewide.

    Do you support those things?
    Thanks,

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    HuntnFish, the Anch. AC was late in getting their AC comments in, but Flory delivered them to the board as an RC. I don't have a copy in front of me, but Flory testified for the AC and I heard that and read the RC, and wonder what your take is on some of what they advocated for...

    ...banning any nonresident hunting in any IM area where predator control is being done, waiving the must-be-guided regulation for nonresidents in other areas, and a 10% cap on all nonresident hunting opportunities statewide.

    Do you support those things?
    Thanks,
    I certainly do. And I have to think the overwhelming vast majority of "average" Alaskan Hunters do as well. Those of us that have studied the issues and know the way the game is played, know what the BOG needs to do, to make things right again. We can't wait around and wring our hands, hoping they figure this out for themselves, as might suggest we do.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Someone just informed me I didn't quite have it right what the Anch AC recommended as far as nonres hunting in IM areas. Sorry about that.

    They want no nonresident hunting at all in IM areas where the objectives haven't yet been met.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Someone just informed me I didn't quite have it right what the Anch AC recommended as far as nonres hunting in IM areas. Sorry about that.

    They want no nonresident hunting at all in IM areas where the objectives haven't yet been met.
    I knew that. It is a two prong approach to getting more game on the table for Alaskans. How could anyone not agree that this is a very good thing. Why on earth would we allow a Non Resident to hunt Moose or Caribou in an area that is under tremendous Predation, to the point that the herds are in jeapordy of total devestation? Geeesshh some folks don't even know the issues, yet they are willling to publically disavow the possible remedies.
    It is absolutely imperative one know the issues, before commenting, lest the mass confusion be allowed to rule the masses.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Question That is unlike you

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    FM,
    I suggest you start by examining your beliefs and taking a stand. This wishy washy way you have of addressing issues and seemingly feeling strongly about it both ways, will not achieve your desires. I have yet, to see your posts not to be tapdancing around every given subject. Dancining is for getting your way with women, not with the BOG.
    You are usually quite a careful reader with detailed thinking.... I find it likely that you were merely rushed or distracted when you posted this.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Mr. Bushrat,

    I do support those recommendations. A member of the AC told me they were all unanimous votes by the AC.

    RE: definition of a "hunter". A "hunter" is someone who hasn't found what he's looking for yet. As soon as he finds it he changes from "hunter" to "butcher".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •