Thread: Unusual Piloting Jobs

Question Unusual Piloting Jobs

Even though aviation is a small community, there are a broad number of job opportunities available. The choices range from flight instructing, flying passengers, aerial flying, or crop dusting. Most of us know how fun and adventurous flying is, but we also know some PIC jobs are more exciting and unique than others. Things like crop dusting, aerial flying, or flight instructing, but what are some of the more unusual/unique positions for flying that are not so stereotypical?

This can be really beneficial for those who are about to finish flight training and enter the workforce and even those who need something different, like a change of pace.

One unusual pilot job was/is piloting specially modified T-28 Trojan aircraft through thunderstorms for weather research.

Might tend to be a bit bumpy and a tad more exciting than a lowtimer might want to do!

Quote Originally Posted by floatplanepilot View Post
    One unusual pilot job was/is piloting specially modified T-28 Trojan aircraft through thunderstorms for weather research.

Might tend to be a bit bumpy and a tad more exciting than a lowtimer might want to do!
    My hat's off to that kind of flying! And, I agree that it might be a tad more exciting than a lowtimer might be comfortable with!

Maybe it was flying a Moony around the Baltimore-Washington-Virginia neck of othe woods for a COMSAT site investigation project. Top Secret at that time, now more than four decades ago.

Thank you for the input. How did both of you get to find these unique piloting jobs?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flylow22 View Post
    Thank you for the input. How did both of you get to find these unique piloting jobs?
    As for me, I was a staff architect with Daniel-Mann-Johnson-Mendenhall (then world's second-largest A&E firm) out of their Washington, DC, offices. The firm got a wealth of government projects, including the COMSAT business. Another project (USAF Project Seek Dawn) led me to Southeast Asia during the 1967-68 noisy Vietnam years. Another story all together . . . . .

Flylow22, it sounds like you might be looking for different sorts of jobs for low time pilots. If that's the case you might look at banner towing or traffic reports. I don't know how unusual they are, but maybe something different than what you've considered.

I had a job as a pilot/expediter for a small placer mine. I didn't have a whole lot of time then....probably a good thing as I don't think anyone who knew what they were doing would have flown a Cherokee 6 out of that strip! I'd basically fly into Anchorage, and sometimes Gulkana with a list and come back with parts, groceries, etc. When I wasn't flying I was running a cat, digging ditches, helping the Diesel Mechanic, etc. You might check around, more mines are going into operation now in the bush and someone might be looking for a guy who is a hard worker and can fly.....just be careful as there are much worse things that can happen to you in this business than having to wait a little longer to start a flying career....Louis
    Louis Knapp

I'd say bank check flying but I think that has ended with modern tec stuff today. single pilot C=310 R's no radar and partial pannel lots of the time all night long. When you got real tiried you would light a cigerette and hold it 1/4" from the end and half nap until it woke you. No auto pilots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEA...eature=related

Worse than the pilot is the lineman.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

refrigerator shelves in the middle of the night while in college to "build" time, (c402)..night...IFR and icing...what a character builder..oh yea...and classes starting at 8 am...let's see...night ifr and icing 35 years later...not much has changed...cept i am a college ga-diate...

Sooo you did the night 402 c freight thing too! Use to haul film for a photo developer, Make ten instrument approaches a night when the weather was bad, 10 take offs and landings a night 8 hours of flying a night, 6 days a week. And I was also flying a helicopter for them as well for the morning radio traffic report, I would go to work at 8 pm and get finished around 10 am and go to the hanger and rack out till it was time to go fly. Yea it was well what it was, and I was making 400 bucks a week for it too. dam near 36 year ago. The one good thing about it was the KX 170 B's in the airplane, never a hick up always worked.