Thread: How to get snowmachine across yard without destroying the yard?

Default How to get snowmachine across yard without destroying the yard?

My snowmachine is parked in my back yard (about a 40 foot straight shot to my driveway). I'd like to get it into the garage so I can do some pre-season maintenance. It's a 4 stroke Yamaha (heavy pig!).

I'm relatively new to snowmachines. How can I get this thing across the grass without tearing up the yard? I do have access to ATVs. However, my trailer is too large to back up to where the snowmachine currently is.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks.

I would think you could drive it across the yard without doing too much damage if you are able to do it without spinning the track. That thing is too heavy to try other methods.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

aw go like hell acros the yard.... then you'll already have your spring project all lined out!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

FYI, they tear the yard all to heck. I don't have another option, I just do what Vince described.... Fire it up and go like heck!!

I drove my VK Pro around the yard not long ago. I always drag a sled out and ride in the yard on 4th of July, so it wasn't the first time. Avoid track spin and try to go in a straight line. Turning is when you'll dig stuff up, both from the carbides digging and the track's resistance to slipping on the inside of the turn radius. Straight lines will do very little or no damage.

Just think of it as pre-season rototilling or thatching.

Cheap sleds at walmart...

Put each ski in one sled, this spreads out the weight and keeps the skegs off the grass (knowing the sleds will probably be ruined) and keep it straight like the other folks said. Once ya get started don't stop and don't spin the track!!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Easy solution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBeQA1trE2U

replace the track with a smooth one and mod the skis a little and your good to go

I do it every year with two snowmachines. Take it easy and the damage to the lawn will be minimal. You won't see it after the snow flies. Next spring the grass comes back just fine all on it's own.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Wait for a couple inches of snow???

Agreed just wait till the ground freezes

Just drive it across. Go on you tube and watch videos of guys riding their new sleds across the lawn...you can hardly even tell they were there.

Ya, just drive it across. Best thing to do is, 1) start the sled, 2) put sled up on a jack of some sort (high lift?), 3) rev engine to around 7500 RPM, 4) while doing this, push sled off jack...and hold on tight...