Thread: Black bear attacks hunter in treestand!

Default Black bear attacks hunter in treestand!

While this did not occur in Alaska, I thought you guys, and gals, would be interested. No more naps in the treestand for me, orrrr maybe just short ones!

Michigan black bears getting aggressive!

Happy hunting gang, hoping to get back up there next year!

This is why I carry my pistol when ever I get out of my truck. Hunting,fishing,camping,scouting.You never know if you need it.....Jim

My dad and I both have had bears climb up the trees we were in over the years (Wisconsin).....mine turned around half way up the tree....pops had to shoot his between the eyes with an arrow (that left a mark), anyhoo, after lots of bush time in AK, the only REAL bear pucker I've had (the kind that leaves ya with your hair up and shaking) was a black bear....of which I've seen a whopping three in Bristol Bay....compared to hundreds of browns in close proximity.

The real killer of that story is that people are riding him for antagonizing the bears....WHAT! I can just picture this guy duking it out with a couple of bears while strapped to a tree and standing on a 2x2 platorm...12 feet off the ground.....OH yeah, he was antagonizing the living heck out of em.....idiots, glad he's in one piece.

Black bears are really on the rise in the Midwest. 15 years ago you couldn't hardly get a tag and this year I know four guys personally who took bears (and I don't stay in contact much). My parents have em all over their cabin and have trash security issues as severe as anywhere in AK.

Black bears are an epidemic in western PWS and need to be eradicated, I saw 27 at one sitting last summer.

What an excellent article ! I am glad the fellow came out of the situation as well as he did.

Do you think they are eating all the moose and caribou?

I had a similar experience 2 springs ago I was sitting up in my tree and a sow with 3 cubs came in. I heard another bear coming in and the sow made a noise
    And all the cubs went up trees. Well let's just say it got real interesting when the cub climbed the tree I was in. I tried punching it out of the tree and it was swatting at me anyways it got above me ans the sow climbed the tree I was in a matter of seconds I had to shoot never did find blood be she backed down.It was intense to say the least.

BIG 27
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

I want to know what scent he had on him, bottle that ***** up it sure works great. Best attractant scent you could have!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    I want to know what scent he had on him, bottle that ***** up it sure works great. Best attractant scent you could have!!
    I believe it was "Eu de BAD LUCK!"

bottle that ***** up
    Once the bear climbed the tree, that's probably exactly what it smelled like.....

http://www.american-hunter.com/trail...in-a-treestand
    that bear is soooo. lucky he wasn,t in my stand.

The wonderful and thoughtful liberals in the democratic state of Michigan are currently having a heyday with this story. The 21 year old hunter is the object of every possible joke, and is being blamed by the antihunters for bringing this attack upon himself. There is the predictable outcry: "The bear was just doing what bears do! Don't kill the bear! You hunt animals...it's only right that they should hunt you!" Funny thing is; if this had been someone's 3 year old daughter taken from her back yard, they would scream to have this bear caught and killed instantly. I am always stunned by the folks who give as much or more value to the life of a bear (name your animal) as they do a person. There are truly a bunch of sick and misinformed people trying to plant their ideas...

http://www.freep.com/article/2010101...in-bear-attack

Screw the antis and dips.... that guy is lucky he made it out alright. I couldn't imagine going bear hunting(baiting especially) without my .44 on me in the tree. Gotta have it if your bowhunting here IMO. I've had bears come to the base of my tree, and sniff me but never climbed it thankfully.