Thread: late season in the FMA

Default late season in the FMA

Well havent seen to many new posts so I figure I would try and start one. I am planning to hunt the FMA in Nov and to be honest I never really hunted this time of year. I have a spot in mind but was curious what techniques anyone has tried in the past.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i plan on having all the spots hunted out by then... every one should just stay HOME....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I'm carrying a blunt with Vince's name on it

Hunting all the spots. You big doof! I thought you said 1/2 were mine?
    Wiso, I'll drive around till I cut tracks and then start to follow them. I have found several moose that way. The only one I ever got in the FMA was T-Day and we were on the way home. I tried one last side street and there he was.
    He walked off slow, and after I got in the trees I did a few soft cow bawls. He came back in curious and I had to make a call to the wife to tell her to hold off on dinner. I've hunted Creamers, but there seems to be a lot of other guys with the same thought. We did put a nice bull to "bed" on the last evening of the season a few years back. Left him for breed stock.

I covered a lot of area with an anterless tag years ago. Tried about every method out there and ended up finally being successful while driving between hunting locations and trying to thaw out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i plan on having all the spots hunted out by then... every one should just stay HOME....
    Well Vince if its like -20 -30 out Ill be doing just that... snow would be nice

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Well Vince if its like -20 -30 out Ill be doing just that... snow would be nice
    funny part is i passed moose evry morning till i went out with you... have not seen one since.... LOL
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    funny part is i passed moose evry morning till i went out with you... have not seen one since.... LOL
    I havent seen one either now that you mention it, will have to try where we went during the late season and see what pans out

well dang... just passed one.. JUST out side the FMA the troopers were about to dispatch... got BUMPED by a little car... had it been a mile further up the road i would have done it for them...

meet on face book here

Thanks for this discussion, fellas. Every year in mid-November I start getting the itch and I keep considering driving north to poke around the Fairbanks area for a few days with my bow. The problem is, of course, that I don't know the area at all and would be flying completely blind. I still might give it a go one of these days, but it sounds like even the locals have a fairly difficult time finding a bull to chase, let alone some interloper from down south.

Default Never a guarantee

Brian, you know that. But if there is no other game going, what is a guy to do? Might as well drive up and look around.
    As in any hunt, get the maps, and peruse them hard. There are nooks and crannies that appear to be private land, but are not. Then again some of the State looking stuff belongs to Joe Homesteader.
    Do I really want to see more competition? Nope. But if we are going to have "interlopers", then might as well be a good guy.
    If we get off our butts this winter it might be good to try and increase the late season bow hunt to all of Chena Hot Springs Road with a proposal to the Interior AC. As I recall, one of the Advisory Council member, Debbie (used to be Waugaman) put in a proposal about a late season hunt on the Rich Hwy from about Moose Creek to Harding Lake or something. I am not sure all of the details, but I believe it is non-motorized, within a corridor (1/2 mile???? or 1 mile???) of the road, and might be archery as it is close to houses.
    I think Vince was there when she put the proposal in. Don't know what became of it.