Thread: paint for decoys

Default paint for decoys

need to paint up some sea duck decoys. anybody use any paint that is good or not so good to use?

What species are you targeting? Surf Scoters?

What kind of decoys will you be painting? Old plastic mallard decoys?

Erich

yup scoters, and Harleys, old mallard deeks

some old plastic decoys do not take new paint very well.

However, krylon fusion for plastic works well as a primer for most brands of plastic decoys. Wire brush then pressure wash or air blast. You do not need to get all the paint off of it.

Test one decoy to see if the fusion works on it. If it does not peel off after a couple of days of handling then paint the rest of the decoys with the base primer.

After that base coat dries for a few days, paint with what ever color/paint you want to use.

I painted my greenheads with a light spray of brown at the beginning of the season and it wore off almost perfectly in time with the molting ducks. If you use plain old spray paint, indeed it won't stay on forever, but if you're only going a few times, it'll last fine. Paint them up as another species next fall, or keep spraying on the black. I'd be sure to add a bright orange nose though. I'm always amazed at how well ducks can pick out their own species and land with them. Black bills might not look right?? I dunno, birds are a lot dumber up here than at the other end of the migration.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

decoypaint.com , I am in the process of painting some harlequin decoys as we speak. So far so good through my airbrush. I will post some pics when I get them done.

Lock Stock and Barrel has the best paints for decoys and Lou Tische (the owner) can get you set up with what ever color choices you need for the species that you're painting.