Thread: Chessie Pups???

Default Chessie Pups???

My chessie is getting up there in age, she is 10 and she is showing it, she had a total hip replacment on her left hip when she was 3 and I can tell the other side is bothering her pretty bad. She still hunts but is very slow and sore after the hunt. I can see in the next year or two I will be in need of a pup.
    I got her from out of state but I would like to get one locally this time, and by locally, I mean on the road system anywhere in Alaska. I would like to be able to meet both parents if possible and see some of the dogs eariler pups as references if possible.

I know there are a few chessie people on here, if you are planning any litters in the next year or two please keep me in the loop.

There's a litter due next week near Chugiak - http://www.chesakachesapeakes.com/

Karen

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I need to wait a year or two as I have 3 dogs now. My lab is 14 and I need to wait for her to go to higher hunting grounds. She is tough but slipping everyday. We can only have 3 dogs in anchorage.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Yukon - you are not prohibited from having 4 dogs. it only means that Anchorage will review your application, possibly come to inspect your home and property and charge you $50/yr for a kennel license. They simply want to make sure that you have the space, facility and ability to care responsibly. It's similar to the Mat-Su kennel license.
    "Multi-Animal Facility License: A person or facility, including a dwelling unit, residence, or business premise, that owns, possesses or is the custodian of four or more dogs, four or more cats, four or more rabbits, four or more ferrets, four or more horses or any combination of seven or more of the above animals, shall be required to obtain a multi-animal facility license.
    • Multi-Animal Facility License fee is $100.00 bi-annually for four to ten animals and $150.00 bi-annually for eleven or more animals.
    ...1. Provide adequate and appropriate shelter to ensure animal health, safety, and welfare.
    2. Maintain the facility in a sanitary condition.
    3. Provide veterinary care as necessary.
    4. Provide for adequate and appropriate care and feeding of animals and ensure the availability of adequate food and fresh water.
    5. Ensure no animals prohibited by federal, state and municipal laws are kept.
    6. Ensure all animals are confined or in control on any premises where the animals are kept.
    7. Keep only the number of animals in the facility or on premises which allows for appropriate space, safe keeping, humane care and sanitary environment consistent with the animal’s breed, size, age, and species for all animals kept.
    8. Comply with the provisions of this title, municipal regulations, and the terms, conditions, and limitations of any license issued under chapter 17.15.
    9. Comply with the provisions of Title 21 (Land Use Planning) of this Code."
    That being said - unless your neighbors object, probably nothing will be done to prevent you from having 4 dogs. (Note the woman who took 3 yrs to prosecute for animal hoarding and abuse.) No one is running around counting dogs. I've had geriatric dogs with puppies and the young dogs keep the old dogs motivated. The old dogs poop out and sleep most of the time. The old dogs teach the young dogs manners and a big one, you aren't replacing a huge heartache because that pup will never live up to the one that died makeing a space for him. The pup is already there and part of the family. I'd do it (oh wait I already did... a few times)
    http://www.alaskadognews.com

Yukon,

I tried sending you a pm...but your inbox was full...

I am really looking forward to one of the Blazer/Hilde pups. ...they are due next Saturday!

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

My inbox should have lots of room, I emptied it yesterday.
    I really need to wait a year or two for a pup. Right now my house consistes of a 14yr old lab, a 3 year old St. Bernard and a 10 year old Chessie, and three kids, 8, 6, and 3. There is no way I can take on a pup right now. I just want to put out feelers and get to know the chessie breeders here in Alaska. From my understand there are only a handful of quality breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffboots View Post
    Yukon,

I tried sending you a pm...but your inbox was full...

I am really looking forward to one of the Blazer/Hilde pups. ...they are due next Saturday!

Juli

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Yukon - for sure it has to be right- I took on our 4th very needy rescue and wonder what did I do? But love him to death when I don't want to strangle him. No wonder people with no training tied him out, and I don't have kids. Thank God. If you can get out to events, see some of the local talent, I only got 2 dogs way back from a "breeder" but from mostly competitors who had good to great dogs and bred on a very limited basis. Then I had the relationship with the owners. trained with them, knew the parents. The two I got from the breeder,even though he was known for his lines, I sold as started dogs. http://www.alaskadognews.com

Thanks for the link,I will check it out.

As much as I love raising dogs from pups I actually wouldn't mind a started dog for my next one. It would have to be the "right" chessie for me to do this but we got the St. Bernard as kind of a rescue of a rescue (long story) and she was 2 and pretty well behaved. I think it would be difficult to get the consistent basic training with young kids in the house, too much yelling and running around. Young kids and the puppy teething stages don't go well.
    I think my current chessie has a year or two left in her, she goes everywhere with me and spends the summer with me on my fishing guide boat. I am not ready to replace her yet and there is no way she is ready to be replaced as my best bud.
    I need to find some time to get out and watch some of the events and meet the local dog nuts! It sounds like a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by 3CBRS View Post
    There's a litter due next week near Chugiak - http://www.chesakachesapeakes.com/

Karen
    I drove out this evening and met Mary and Hilde, the momma-to-be. Mary is a great lady and a caring and skilled breeder. Her dogs are handsome and energetic. Hilde is absolutely gorgeous--perfect head, beautiful coat, good lines and the perfect balance of assertive cautiousness with strangers (me) and then yielding after proper introductions that this breed is famous for. A very Chessie, Chessie if you will and from an unbroken line of hunting and trial champions. The sire she was bred to has an even more impressive pedigree.

Hilde is due, literally, any day now and I confess I want a pup. Gotta sell some stuff to make it happen though...I must admit I felt a bit of sticker shock at the price.

BTW Mary said the vet thinks Hilde will birth six pups but she's heavy so Mary thinks maybe seven or eight, or 6 very big pups.

If you're a Chessie or a retriever person and ever considered pulling the trigger on a best-of-breed quality dog then give Mary a call.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erik,

Congratulations on making a great decision for a breeder and litter. Of course, I am biased, as I know Hilde personally (and yes, she is a very 'chessie' chessie, LOL)...I also own a dog who is very closely related to Blazer. I am looking forward to getting a pup from Mary's litter and can't wait! , having met both dogs, I will say they compliment each other wonderfully (hopefully that will pass along to the pups!)....

A note on prices..Mary's price on this litter is actually right on the low end with what you would expect to pay for a well bred chessie pup anywhere around the country, (for a breeding of this type)... I'd say the average price of titled chessies (CH and/or hunt test titled) is going to be anywhere from $1000 to $1500, and sometimes even higher for your top field trial breedings (FC or AFC to QAA or FC/AFC), as it should be.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Well, is Hilde a mother and Mary a grandmother yet?

Hilde whelped 6 puppies, 3 males & 3 females, but had to have a C-section. Last report was all are doing well.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Well, is Hilde a mother and Mary a grandmother yet?

Yep, she sure did. Hilde had 3 girls and 3 boys, of which all are spoken for (sorry Howard, you missed your chance to own a real dog, ).

I know one thing I do need. I need SOMEONE to go take pix of the pups and send them to me. Mary does not have a digital camera that works.. LOL

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

If I can connect up with Mary, I can get photos. As for future Chessie breeding, Blue's clearances are done and we plan on hitting his hunt test carreer hard next Summer, so I hope he will be finding a girfriend in a year or 2. His Brother Yukon may be in the running too by then.41486_1359824269_9385_n.jpg

We do need pictures.

Finally, some pictures!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img213.imageshack.us/i/hildepups3.jpg/
    Taxidermy IS art!

Aww, isn't that cute. It looks like he's smiling for the picture.

Is that what they call the Chessie grin?

No Howard -- if it was a grin you'd see teeth, lots of teeth.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 3CBRS View Post
    No Howard -- if it was a grin you'd see teeth, lots of teeth.
    As found out the gent that cruised his 4 wheeler into my yard last weekend at 30MPH... CRUISER was ALL smiles at the prospect of catching himself a new rubber wheeled toy.

I would have LOVED to seen the look inside the helmet... but i can just about guarantee that the bibs needed cleaning as they left...( faster then they arrived)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That's funny, Vince, even if the guy on the 4-wheeler didn't think so! Had a strange guy who showed up 3 days in a row at my place a couple years ago & the last time this met him at the door:

He jumped backwards & threw his arms over his face, but never came back again.