Thread: This weekend.

Unhappy This weekend.

I am flying to my duck shack on Friday. The cold at work this morning was more than noticeable. I'll be on the west side of cook inlet...anybody think they're gone? Or it's too late? What are the predictions????

I wish it would stop being so clear at night and sitting at freezing. The puddles where I work the dog in the evenings are all frozen, so the marsh will have some skim ice forming.

With the clear nights a lot of birds will be moving out, but then new birds will also be moving in. However, lakes to the north and west of us have been frozen for a couple of weeks and there was no push of new birds at that time.

I feel like I've seen a lot of geese moving around town. My plan is to be at the mouth of a creek dumping into the inlet where I have flown over and seen birds sit. I'm thinking the shoreline will have birds...opinions???

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I am flying to my duck shack on Friday. The cold at work this morning was more than noticeable. I'll be on the west side of cook inlet...anybody think they're gone? Or it's too late? What are the predictions????
    I expect that by this weekend u wont want to land on the ice. Good luck. Bud

We actually have a gravel strip there!!!

Things were dead at cottonwood last weekend. We only had a pair come in during the morning flight. Then had a flock of 7 later. The mallards were all full color. But we were also the only two guys out there. Hopefully some new birds moved in this week. We had the big tide roll in last weekend too, so that wasn't fun. If it don't pick up this weekend, I might just hang up the Benelli, and grab my over under and see if I can find some ptarmigan, or grouse or grab the .22 and start chasing rabbits.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

warm spell coming, calling for lows of 37 sat and sun. Bud

Yeah I saw the clouds and precipitation should roll in this weekend. I'm ready for a little warmth.

Even with warmer temps coming I think the water is probably too hard to make much of a difference, there will be a few ducks around but with the cold nights and clear skys I bet a lot of them are heading out.