Thread: measureing out powder without a measure.....

Default measureing out powder without a measure.....

So my dad called me from GA last night and told he me forgot this powder measure up here. He's in the middle of nowhere in GA and has quite a drive to find a store. He asked me how he could measure his blackpowder,
    Is there a way to measure it out without a measure or scale?

I would ask him what he has on him for holding powder. Lets say for example he can get a hold of a spent 410 guage hull. Well you get one at home fill it up to what ever powder charge he desires and tell him for example, if he fills half the shell up than that is about xx grains....

Excellent suggestion Matt!

Another method that has been around for several hundreds of years is to place the roundball in the center of your slightly cupped palm and pour your powder over the ball until it is completely covered. Remove the ball, pour the powder from the palm into the barrel and then set the patched ball as usual. Will work just fine untill you can get or make a proper measurer.

If he has his ram rod marked with a line that is for indicating when his normal charge is properly seated. He then knows the volume of powder in his gun plus the length of the projectile. So then starting at that seating depth mark on the ram rod and add the length of the projectile to the seating depth mark and make another temporary mark at that location. Now a little trial and error of pouring a little powder into the barrel and checking with the ramrod until there is the right amount of powder so that the new line on the ramrod and the end of the barrel coincide. Now dump the powder out of the barrel into a pill bottle or what ever and mark the pill bottle.

If his ram rod isn't marked with a seating depth line then it should be!

Default about one inch of barrel space is taken up by powder

Ask him how many grains he was loading.

Go to your muzzleloader of the same caliber; mark your rod's tip while buried in an empty barrel.

Load that many grains powder and your projectile.

Measure the difference in your rod's tip now buried in your loaded barrel. Subtract from this measurement the length of your projectile.

Call'm up and tell him this distance. Most people can judge 3/4 inch, 1 inch, and 1 1/4 inches pretty well. Likely it is somewhere in this range. And he can then know when he has close to the right load that he sighted in with and/or is used to.

And for him to take short shots.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good Idear, EKC:

Most everyone, has their ramrod marked.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Floatplanepilots method has been around for a long time and makes a fair hunting load regardless of caliber. Bigger ball takes more powder to cover. This of course is for round ball and not the minnie.