Thread: shrimp pot washed up on beach

Default shrimp pot washed up on beach

I was walking along the beach in Seldovia last week and found a shrimp pot. Except for the broken hoop at the top it looks like it is in ok shape. I left it there. As I am sure some else has use for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I was walking along the beach in Seldovia last week and found a shrimp pot. Except for the broken hoop at the top it looks like it is in ok shape. I left it there. As I am sure some else has use for it.
    I believe that is a Dungeness crab pot.

is it? It would be pretty small but I suppose it is possible.

I have a question.
    I have 3 like this, an older one made of steel bar and 2 made of aluminium, all are folding and all have foam around the rings.
    Can they be used for tanner and or king in PWS? As in can the buggers get in the entryways?

If not then what good are they besides to take up space.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I have a question.
    I have 3 like this, an older one made of steel bar and 2 made of aluminium, all are folding and all have foam around the rings.
    Can they be used for tanner and or king in PWS? As in can the buggers get in the entryways?

If not then what good are they besides to take up space.
    Sure you can Alaskanmutt, just modify the tunnel so a king can get in. You can also use them for cod if you put one way fingers on the tunnel so the fish can swim in but not out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salm View Post
    I believe that is a Dungeness crab pot.
    Sockeye Salm is correct. That is a commercial dungy pot

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Sockeye Salm is correct. That is a commercial dungy pot
    Ditto to that, undoubtedly a dungie pot. I'll let potbuilder weigh in about modifying it for king/tanner crab (my thoughts...tanner:yes...king:no -- this doesn't relate to the law about pot specifications, but to how the pot would "fish") Interesting that it's now washing ashore, since it's been quite a while since commercial dungeness fishing was open. But, it looks like the escape mechanism worked.

Hey MRFISH i just had an idea. WHat do you think about putting fingers on a dungy pot to eradicate the pike out of the Susitna system under the ice? You could release w/o harming the fish that actually belonged there.

Hey MRFISH i just had an idea. WHat do you think about putting fingers on a dungy pot to eradicate the pike out of the Susitna system under the ice? You could release w/o harming the fish that actually belonged there.
    I'm all for anything that can help control the pike out there. It would be interesting to see if pike would be willing force their way thru the fingers.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'm all for finding a way to get rid of the pike from where they don't belong. I don't know if a pike would push through the fingers or not. With their appetites, I doubt there would be a need to release any native species however, but who knows?

Hey MRFISH and frostbitten maybe we should write a grant proposal to DNR and ADF&G. They could buy us new snow machines and trailers to haul the boom and honda power pack to pull the pots, plus chainsaws and augers. All this in addition to the 1000 dollar a day consulting fee (a piece)
    Keep it on the down low so everybody doesn't think of it.

A commercial crab pot? It is a lot smaller then the other pots I have seen. The openings were about 4". Why would you fish a pot that can't catch large crabs?