Thread: South centrial Black bear salvage prop written...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default South centrial Black bear salvage prop written...

Vince Holton, thank you for submitting your proposal to the Alaska Board of Game:

What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

modify Black bear salvage requirements to the same as interior Region 4, Many hunters in the south,Central and western regions would like the same opportunity to harvest a meat bear and not be required to salvage the hide off a summer or fall bear, harvested for meat.

What will happen if this problem is not solved?

1 the regulation book will be increasingly complex, and 2, hunters in one region of the state will have to meet requirements other regions do not have to meet.

What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted your solution, what would the new regulation say?

adopt language as passed in the interior region 3 meeting (see proposal 10 passed region 3 spring 2010) as written on page 25 in current 2010 regulation pamphlet.

that allows.

January 1-June 30 the hunter must salvage the Hide, skull and edible meat ( as defined by 5AAC.92.990) and that June 30-December 31 the hunter must salvage the skull, and must salvage either the meat, or the Hide ( or both if chosen)

**** [except!] in sub/units where the biological necessity to monitor black bear populations and harvest through the sealing of hide and skull as determined by the department *****

Does your proposal address improving the quality of the resource harvested or products produced? If so, how?

it does, many hunters wish to harvest a bear for table fare only, and do not wish to deal with the salvage and care of a hide that is required under salvage and transporting requirements. though the hides may legally be disposed of after the hunter has met the requirement to salvage and maintain in a condition until it has reached the place of processing for human use or consumption...

care of a Hide in the field to prevent wanton waist penalties is an arduous task many wish not to take for a meat bear with a summer lower quality hide.

the state has adopted state wide harvest tags for the taking of Black bears and removed sealing requirement in many units,

Who will benefit if your proposal is adopted?

all hunters wishing to hunt solely for meat. as well resource managers may see an increase in hunter activity in management of predator species.

Who is likely to suffer if your proposal is adopted?

Bears

List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

none

Log Number: EG10121095

This Proposal has been received and will be proccessed by the Boards Support Section.

will work on Sealing requirments next... this one took all of 10 min to write and submit as it is nearly the same as i wrote and had passed up here last spring.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Great proposal, brother. It certainly has my support! Here's another idea I just had... maybe a proposal is forthcoming. Require the State to accept donated black bear hides, (which they can then sell) if the hunter does not wish to keep it. Shower the state with enough rubbed out summer thin bear hides, and they will be all over your proposal.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

VINCE HOLTON, thank you for submitting your proposal to the Alaska Board of Game:

What is the problem you would like the Board to address?
    Eliminate Black Bear sealing requirments where harvest tickets or registration permits are required and provide necassary harvest data as follows.

a) Sealing is required for brown bear taken in any unit in the state and black bear of any color variation taken in Units 1 - 7, 11 - 17, 19(D), and 20. A seal must remain on the skin until the tanning process has commenced. A person may not possess or transport the untanned skin or skull of a bear taken in a unit where sealing is required, or export from the state the untanned skin or skull of a bear taken anywhere in the state, unless the skin and skull have been sealed by a department representative within 30 days after the taking, or a lesser time if requested by the department, except that
    (4) in Unit 19(D), black bear taken in Unit 19(D) outside of the wolf predation control area described in 5 AAC 92.125(1) need not be sealed; however, the hide of a black bear taken from January 1 through May 31 in Unit 19(D) outside of the wolf predation control area may not be transported from Unit 19 until sealed;
    (b) A person who possesses a bear in a unit where sealing is required shall keep the skin and skull together until a department representative has removed a rudimentary premolar tooth from the skull and sealed both the skull and the skin. The department may require that the skull of the bear be skinned and that the skin and skull not be frozen at the time of sealing.

Issue both harvest tickets and sealing are required in Central / Southwest and Southcentral Region and however been removed as of July 1 2010 in Interior Region 3 due to action taken by the Board of game during the spring 2010 regular meeting, excluding a porton of unit 20 [20B] in that skull sealing is still required due to harvest compostion and relitivly high harvest rate of that unit.
    retaining both harvest reporting and sealing requirements is redundant in any unit not identified by Department staff as needing closer monitoring.

if this proposal is adopted only hides and/or skulls of black bears must be sealed that have been harvested from units/sub identifed by the department as those that warrent the continued monitoring of harvest compostion.

What will happen if this problem is not solved?
    Hunters will continued to be burdened by unnecessary sealing requirements in some units.

What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted your solution, what would the new regulation say?
    IN units [X,X,X,} black bear sealing will no longer be required where a harvest tag is required.

Does your proposal address improving the quality of the resource harvested or products produced? If so, how?
    Yes the Department of Fish and game will be able to provide a more stream lined hunt report system.
    Hunters will be able to report on line and not be required to transport bear parts to the Department of Fish and Game for sealing.

Who will benefit if your proposal is adopted?
    All Hunters

Who is likely to suffer if your proposal is adopted?
    no one

List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.
    none, this regulation has already been passed in the interior region 3 along with Salvage requirement modifications at the Spring Board of Game meeting in Fairbanks 2010

Log Number: EG10121096
    This Proposal has been received and will be proccessed by the Boards Support Section.
    this one will remove the requirment to seal bears that are taken under a harvest ticket... i was asked by one of the biologist at the BOG to write this one... good thing i found last years copy of theirs and was able to figure it out....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

great prop Vince, unfortunately.for the prop and fortunately for me .... I haven't seen wanton waist since I got divorced, ... lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Great work, keep it up. +1 if I could
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

If this passes, will this mean that meat harvest would be required in the fall, or just an optional thing like it is now? I eat moose, caribou and deer and not bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If this passes, will this mean that meat harvest would be required in the fall, or just an optional thing like it is now? I eat moose, caribou and deer and not bear.
    it means you can still take the hide and leave the meat... but as some like me eat bear... if we don't want the hide... we can take just the meat.. or both... the skull is left in for any sealing or data that may be requested. or for LEO to see if it was a cub..

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince, you saved me some time for sure. Now I just need to work up a 3 bear limit for 14C "all other". Maybe a couple coyote liberalization props too just to see what the BOG is thinking... No limit/No closed sounds about right <grin>

Now if I could just get the darn online prop form to open. Man this sat internet sux sometimes!!

I'll get behind that 3 bear limit for 14C remainder, rest of the proposals as well.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.