Thread: 28" barrel questions

Default 28" barrel questions

I'm thinking about getting a new SBEII with a 28" barrel that is available according to there web sight. I am also thinking of getting the "Heavy Shot" extreme range and mid range choke tubes.

What will I notice different between a 26" and 28" barrel? I know most of you go with the 26" barrel, but I thought maybe the 28" will give me a bit more muzzle velocity and maybe just a touch more reach.

chugiak, ak

i have never shot a 26 i have a 28 on a 870 super mag and i like the 28 inch. seems like my swing is more flow like if i have a short barrel i feel i will be not as flowing with my swing. deffinatly not a good grouse gun so if its just waterfowl gun i would go with the 28

Any velocity gain between 26 and 28 would be insufficient to make a difference. In Tom Roster's book "Shotgun Barrel Alteration Manual" he states:
    It is true that for every inch of barrel length beyond 20" out to, let's say, a length of 40", about six or to seven feet-per-second (fps) is gained at the muzzle for any given shotshell load.
    Fourteen feet per second increase in muzzle velocity would give you what? maybe a couple of inches of extra range?

Find a gun shop with both barrel lengths in stock so you can do a comparison. I was in Mountain View Sports a few years ago when they had a 26 and 28 next to each other on the rack. I picked up the 28 and swung it. It felt pretty good. Then I picked up the 26. It felt fantastic, just like it was made just for me.

I bought the 26 incher and cannot be happier.

Different brands of gun handle differently. It seems that Remingtons feel best with 28 inch barrels while Benellis feel better with 26 inch barrels. Swing 'em and make the determination yourself.

Longer shotgun barrels are generally best suited to hunting and other sporting purposes, such as trap, skeet, and sporting clays. These longer barrels provide a longer sighting plane, which makes it easier to accurately aim the gun. There is also less recoil on a gun with a longer barrel. With modern powders, the shot charge reaches maximum velocity after it has traveled a relatively short distance up the barrel bore. So longer length of barrel does not make the pellets move faster or go farther. Proper barrel length is entirely a matter of desired weight, balance, and sight radius. I prefer a 28 incher.