Thread: Anchor River Steelies

Default Anchor River Steelies

http://www.adn.com/2010/10/12/149770...iologists.html

It just seems to me that these fish should be warranted some more study time (ie. $$)...I haven't fished them myself, though I really wanted to when we moved here 3 years ago...now I am not so sure that I want to fish them.

I think the thing that would help those fish the most would be better public information/education about the differences between coho and steelhead. More research would also he valuable, but I think a fair number of steelies are bonked in the late-summer/early-fall when silvers are still present as a case of mistaken identity by anglers that don't know any better.

How can we manage a fishery without basic information. But then again, how the hell do you count fall steelhead? (hint, its hard)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It seems if the weir is already in, the major cost left is man hours to check the weir a few times a day/maintenance/etc. While that's hardly cheap, it's right on the road and requires no further investment, I'd say it's a good idea. Locking up a fishery (catch and release) doesn't tell you how it's doing over time.