Thread: 375 Winny won't shoot!

Default 375 Winny won't shoot!

Much anticipation has turned out to be a lesson in aggravation.

My newly aquired Ruger no. 3 won't shoot for sour owl poo!

I've tried three different bullets, three different powders with various charge weights of each. 4 in groups are about the norm. One might expect that from a mini-14 but from a No.3?

I've taken the barrel band off and put it back. I've swapped scopes with my varmint gun to no avail. I've looked at the crown under magnification and if there's a flaw I can't see it.

These same loads shoot into 2 inches easy in my Marlin 375 and 375 Encore, some much less than 2 inches.

The only load that this gun will shoot at all is with a soft bevel based 250 grain lead bullet being driven at a snails pace by 10 grains of Blue Dot. Then the groups are inch and a half at 50 yards.

I've even gone back through the archives on this forum and cleaned the barrel according to some wise instruction.

This little gun kinda reminds me of the prettiest girl on the softball team. She may be pretty but she sucks at softball! Do you play her just because she's pretty? Not me!

Time for some Ruger single shot basics, it sounds like.

Have you tried pulling the forend off (for the moment) and shooting with a bare barrel? Rest the rifle on the action and give it a go. If it shoots as it should, you've zeroed in on the problem. A little bedding/band work should sort it out.

If it still sprays, then you've got load or barrel problems. Off the top of my head I wonder about OAL adjustment, but the issue could run as deep as twist rate versus bullet length. I don't know the twist rate, but is there a chance it's too slow?

I'd also slug the barrel to see if an adjustment of bullet diameter is in order.

And how's the crown?

I'm reaching now, but how's the rim thickness in the chamber? I'm trying to conceive of some way that "head space" could be an issue.

The #3 like the #1 can be a nightmare with their barrel tension. I have always been lucky but have a friend that never has. Have you tried the Ruger #1 forum,they have lots of smart folks there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

EKC, kinda thought this might be the case when I didn't hear from ya after you were scheduled to get her out. There is still hope, I have had to employ several tricks to get my three #1's going where I want them. BrownBear and Amigo Will noted above the best next steps. All of mine have been solved with forend/barrel tension solutions.
    For mine, a combination of fitting the forend(sanding), rubber O-ring for the forend tension screw, and I apply some hockey-stick grip tape between the frame and the forend. This has worked for me very well.
    Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

Interesting idea on the hockey stick tape, e45colt. My deepest experience is with the #1, so I'm not sure of the details on what will and won't work with a #3. Here's what I learned to do with the #1's, if that has any bearing on #3's.

There are three contact points of the forend on the hanger- a flat just behind the mounting screw, and then two smaller flats on either side right back in front of the action. I glass bed those, then relieve the contact point between the rear of the forend and the action (where you're putting the tape, I think). It doesn't have to be a huge gap, and in fact done right you can barely slip a business card into the gap. Final step is to free float the barrel. There's no need for any kind of washer under the mounting screw when the #1 is bedded/relieved/floated this way- just snug it up and forget it.

I'm hesitating because I just don't know where the barrel band fits into that scheme. My impulse would be to "free float" the inner surface where it passes over the barrel, but that's exposing my ignorance I'm sure.

Long and short of it EKC, there are huge dividends in bedding the forend and free floating the barrel on #1's, and I suspect also on #3's. I've got a heavy barrel 220 Swift with a Canjar single-set trigger that used to shoot groups less than half an inch wide, but stringing up a full 3" over the course of 5 shots. After the treatment I describe it shoots tiny uniform groups all day long with a huge variety of loads. I had similar experiences with a 308 heavy barrel, and far as I know the new owner continues to win his share of local bench shoots with it 30 years later.

But that barrel band.....

Lots of folks put the Hicks stabilizer on the hanger and some just drill and tap the hanger and so they can set tension with a screw.Like BB stated bedding and free floating has to help. Keeping the hanger and barrel intune is the goal. Many a barrel band has been trashed and the forearm tip cut off and reshaped.As a note the barrel band on the 10/22 is the same and so are the after market recoil pads
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for all the input. I have shelved the no3 for now. Muzzleloader season starts tomorrow, then a month of bowhunting, then tags to fill for an early doe season over Thanksgiving(41 mag), then the 41 gets another go again the first weekend in December. All in all I have 10 tags to fill in less than 2 months, 3 with a muzzleleloader,3 with bow and 4 as I see fit...handgun most likely! I've also got a 14 year old kid thats going to be in tow for a couple of these hunts. It's my time of the year boys....see you in a while!

Goodluck and enjoy the hunt!
    Afflicted by condition human