Thread: States where Alaskans can purchase rifle or shotguns?

Default States where Alaskans can purchase rifle or shotguns?

Hi all,

I was considering an elk hunt in Colorado. Like most everyone else I just got my dividend and was thinking of getting a Mark V deluxe for the Elk trip. My buddy in Colorado told me I could save about $400 if purchased down South. However, the folks at bass pro shop, Dicks, and Gander mtn said they only sell long guns and shotguns to people from neighboring states and handguns were for Colorado residents only. I was surprised by this and a little puzzled by the law. If I would have been calling California or back east I would not have been surprised. I am curious what other states have this type of law and where a qualified buyer under federal law can purchase a firearm?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I had an incident....wait lemme back up my daughter had a suitor that was less than desirable when I was building my boat in Bellingham Wa. After a few shenanigans I decided to check this character out so I googled him....ahem is all I can say to describe my emotions when I learned he was a 3 time felon convicted of 3 violent assaults! Long story short, I shopped every sporting goods retail shop in the yellow pages that might possibly sell guns. Guess what? After an entire day of shopping all I was able to locate was a friggn musket that was in a kit you had to build!! I couldn't even find any pepper spray for cryin out loud. The leftist yuppy scum in that neck of the woods have no means of personal protection. The worst part was the cops down there, can you say affirmative action? This sawed off little pip squeak in specially altered body armor (that still rested around his ears) showed up and wanted to lecture my 17 y/o daughter (in broken english) on "domestic violence". I heard enough after 5 minutes and ordered him off the property or it was gonna get really ugly. He said sir calm down and I put a fist size dent in the hood of his cruiser and assured him I was calm, and pointed to the end of the driveway. Long story short, I had to order a gun from Alaska, which is exactly what you should do. who cares how much you save. Shop local don't be the typical tight wad that is infiltrating this place.

Easiest way tell is at Wal Mart's sporting good counter there is a sign of the U.S. with each state in, I think Green and Red that there shows that if your a resident of this state you can or can't purchase in that state. Easier to see and understand than for me to try explaining. It's real simple though.

had the same thing happen to a buddy at walmart in fairbanks so we went over to down under and had no problems he was from idaho by the way.

It's a federal law. And it's been on the books for about 40 years. You can buy in adjacent states if their laws allow it.

There is no 'adjacent state' Federal law any more. Read the link already posted. The hard part is figuring out if the laws of the other state allow your purchase; Alaska law is easy.

So, how does this apply to buying Guns off an online site like Gunbroker.com? Shucks I've been eying guns on there for quite a while, Must be a different deal? Right?

Never even tried to buy a gun elsewhere but those deals on Gunbroker are pretty irresistable, Anybody know the details there? Maybe it's that you have it shipped to an FFL in AK?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Fullbush, You should have called Kesslerings gun shop south of Bellingham on highway 9. They would have sold you the gun. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    So, how does this apply to buying Guns off an online site like Gunbroker.com? Shucks I've been eying guns on there for quite a while, Must be a different deal? Right?

Never even tried to buy a gun elsewhere but those deals on Gunbroker are pretty irresistable, Anybody know the details there? Maybe it's that you have it shipped to an FFL in AK?
    Yep it doesnt matter when purchasing on gun broker because it HAS to go through an FFL on your end of the deal in your state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Yep it doesnt matter when purchasing on gun broker because it HAS to go through an FFL on your end of the deal in your state.
    Once you cultivate an FFL holder, buying from GB, AA or GA or any other site or individual is easy. You make the buy, call your FFL with the FAX number of the seller, the FFL faxes copy to them, you send money, week later shows up at your FFL. You do the 4473 and you're out the door.

If you have a C&R then you can buy and it's sent to you, as long as it's a C&R.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Would this work for a traveling hunter,

I fly to Kansas City to chase those big Steer like Whitetails some, find a FFL holder there, order from an online site and it gets sent to the FFL in KC and I am off and running with my new Deer rifle?

or is my place of residence (on Drivers license) going to mess with that FFL in Kansas recieving a gun for me?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I bought a Marlin 45-70 from Cabelas down in Rapid City, SD a few months ago, no problems whatsoever. Got a good deal on the gun and bought over a thousand rounds of ammo(for various calibers) to bring back up to AK. Who can pass up $3/box for 223? Anyways if you just want to buy a rifle or shotgun you shouldn't have an issue in most states. My parents bought a rifle in Montana as well. But a handgun is a different story.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Easiest way tell is at Wal Mart's sporting good counter there is a sign of the U.S. with each state in, I think Green and Red that there shows that if your a resident of this state you can or can't purchase in that state. Easier to see and understand than for me to try explaining. It's real simple though.
    The problem with the Wal-Mart signs is the fac tthey are different for each state. If he looks at the AK map it will not tell him if he an buy in CO.

If your state says it is okay to buy out of state (AK does say so) the next question is if the other state allows nonresidents to buy. A lot of this should go away over the next few years as Heller and McDonald make their way through the courts and legislatures. If you can pass the NICS check you should be good to go anywhere.
    art

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    LOL though it is Walmarts policy to NOT sell... my wife had her Idaho Drivers License. when she first moved here... they would not sell to her as she did not have proof of a physical Alaska License... when she got it they would not sell because it has a PO box on it..

it is easier for us to just walk into Frontier anymore...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL though it is Walmarts policy to NOT sell... my wife had her Idaho Drivers License. when she first moved here... they would not sell to her as she did not have proof of a physical Alaska License... when she got it they would not sell because it has a PO box on it..

it is easier for us to just walk into Frontier anymore...
    For some strange reason, the Alaska DMV(s) will not use your physical address on your drivers license if you have a Post Office Box, when I complained, they said it had something to do with the "stalking" law. The solution was to pay the additional 15 bucks for the Alaska State ID card and have your physical address on that card. Therefore, you now have a State Authorized ID card with your physical address, which will allow you to purchase a gun here in Alaska. Don't know about the other states...