Thread: S&W .357 question.

Question S&W .357 question.

Howdy, i just bought a brand new smith and wesson model 27, 4" blue. Ive never owned revolver but one thing i noticed upon handling it, was that whenever i pointed it up or down, there was an internal clicking sound like a loose part. it sounds like its coming from the area behind the cylinder/ infront of the hammer. I figure its normal, but i just want to be sure its nothing fualty with the pistol. any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Nick.

Congrats on a nice revolver. You didn't mention dash number but that may make a difference. That is a .357 on the .44 (model 29) frame. But I don't think it was made in 4". The shortest was 3 1/2", then 5" then 6 1/2" then 8 3/8".
    What is clicking may be the hammer block which kinda floats inside and will have about 1/16" fore and aft play. I take it you've never had the side plate off an S & W revolver.
    I have a model 27-2 in 5". I prefer the dash twos in an N frame Smith. The M27 is a much more robust revolver than any of the smaller frames but really more than needed for the cartridge. I believe frame size is made in an 8 shot now. Actually an " L" frame eight shot. The M 27 was the flagship of the 357 for S&W.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

How ya doin', Murph! The 27's were offered in 4" as well as the other lengths you mentioned. The "L" frames are currently offered in a 7 shot and the "N" frames in 357 are up to 8 shot. Good to see you on the forum again! I imagine life has been keeping you occupied.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Hey, Bugs. I'm doing good. Working around the farm.
    Yeah I guess I knew they made a four inch but they are rare aren't they? I knew Miculek shoots an eight shot in a second!! Didn't know if it was L or N.
    What do ya think is clicking? Odd isn't it?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Not odd at all, if the internals are clean and relatively dry, the hammer block will rattle in its slot just the way you described. Dirt or excessive lube will quiet it down. As an aside, like you told me once, if you shoot Bullwinkle in the "moosey" part, it works well. The freezer is full. Good to hear from you!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."