Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He shoots, He scores!!!

Default He shoots, He scores!!!

I took Galen across the bay to look for bears early this morning. We anchored the boat off shore, and hiked up above the trees to snowline. Started our hike about 9:30.
    Took us about 1 1/2 hours to get up, we saw one bear in the brush and berries near the top, but at 100 yds we couldn't tell if it had cubs or get a shot anyway, and the bear vanished.
    We got up to a good vantage, and spotted a bear at 350 yds, but no place we could approach.
    The sun came out, and I spotted a bear at about 800 yds , moving away. Made a couple squeals on a predator call and it put the brakes on and headed right for us. After about 30 minutes and numerous squeals later it showed up at around 250, coming for us. Galen rested his gun on my pack, and at 150 he shot and missed, but the bear didn't react, and kept coming. Galen took his time, and the next chance he had he took, taking the bear at 110 yds with one shot from his 7mm-08. He broke both shoulders and took a lung, and the bear dropped in it's tracks. He was shooting 140 gr ballistic tips.
    He shot it about 1:15, and we had it skinned and boned and started down at 3:00. 2800 vertical feet and 2 hours later we were back on the beach, and home by 6:30.
    Had a coyote come to the call too, and saw another bear on the way down.
    galenbear.jpgskinning2.jpg
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Congrats to the young shooter! Cool you took the meat. Interested in knowing it tastes, if it flushed the salmoness from itself with the berries? A black bear from august was good on a slow salmon stream.

meat will be nice and sweet, not many places a bear can get salmon across the bay, especially this time of year.
    curiously she had very little fat, i was hoping to take it and render it, but oh well.... woulda just been more weight anyway<grin>

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    meat will be nice and sweet, not many places a bear can get salmon across the bay, especially this time of year.
    curiously she had very little fat, i was hoping to take it and render it, but oh well.... woulda just been more weight anyway<grin>
    No fat is a bad sign, she would have a had a tough winter. I had 10lbs or more of bear fat from my spring bear I threw away that I had kept for someone. I guess I should've posted it here!

I really wonder how fast the salmon taste leaves the bear. Like stated, bear from august and last year too in august the bears are good eating. More berries than salmon even though they were on the stream. Meat didn't smell. I killed a bear in PWS in the fall and that thing was nasty! Smelled very bad with all the pinks it has eaten. I like to eat them too, it was a bummer. Good call on the meat and good on ya for wanting the meat! Nice hide too!!

Default tough kid

I'd ask how old, but then I'd even be more embarrassed that I could not keep up with him. Way to go. You both did a great job there.
    ARR

congrats to you both for your fine bear, you both will carry the memory of that hunt for the rest of your lives, hopefully more people will take notice of the importance of keeping todays youth involved in hunting, as there's so many more activities to occupy their time today than there was 20+yrs, i remember as a youngster myself having to stay home & wait till dad got home, i was so excited to hear how the days hunt went & couldnt wait till i got big enough to go with, now i'm older & i take my 6yr old son with my every chance i can, he loves running the trapline with me. again congrats to you Galen on takeing your bear cleanly & swiftly for harvesting the meat, & welcome to the brotherhood.

Congrats to you and Galen on a successful hunt, that is a nice looking blackie!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

good show dave... Tell galen Congrats from me.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Whack 'em and stack 'em....what a great way to spend the day! Glad it all turned out so well!

Love it. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story, Dave. That's a great one of him helping to skin the bear. Now we just need one of the satisfied look he's sure to have when he watches his family eating the dinner that he provided. Nothing better!

he'll be 10 in 2 days.

Rignt on Galen way to go my freind!

Have to say Dave Galen is one of the my favorite kids. Smart, compasoinate, responsible, everything too many kids are not today, Tracy and I are very ptroud to name him amoung the people important in our lives.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Very nice! Congrats to you and your son! Well done!

Awesome.

On the fish/fat thing. The bear I shot in the valley this year had 10 pounds (on digi scale) of fat on each hind quarter (not including what I cut off when I skinned him). He was shot on the river banks of a river that still had silvers coming in. There were no berries in the area that I found during my 6 day hunt. I took the hinds and the straps - now wish I had taken the fronts too. No fish smell on him when I was skinning or butchering or when I cook him up.

Good job Dave and Galen. I like the colors of the underbrush in that first picture. It goes good with Galens bear picture.

Way to go guys! Come over and get a few more! Saw the biggest black bear of my life a few weeks ago waaaayyyyy up on the ridgetop; woulda taken a week to get him out of there, but there's definitely some record bears here.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Congrat's to you and you buddy, Dave!

Taylor

took her in to be sealed, skull was 16 1/16", and she was aged at around 10 yrs.
    the hide squared at just over 5 1/2'.

right on dave...nice to have a call with you to capitalize on such opportunities...i use them all the time to stop predators or keep them around for the shot. nice outing with your kiddo...thats what its all about.

Kids and hunting are one of the great things in life. Mid october bear should have a great coat on it. Congrats to the both of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast