Thread: Cabin Inverter/Battery setup.

Lightbulb Cabin Inverter/Battery setup.

I am looking to lower the noise at the cabin. Does anyone have an inverter setup that works well or a do not or be sure to?

Looking at 4 to 6, 6V deep cycle batteries and 12-1500W inverter. Transfer switch for when I need to run a generator and a quality battery charger.

Thanks,
    Mike

Sams club has 6v golf cart batteries for $66.xx Place across Dimond from Costco(don't remember name) has Inverters. You don't need pure sine wave unless you are running a Toyo(or similar) stove. I run TV, Stereo, Computer on a standard 1750W inverter.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

you will need to go with a bigger inverter set up than you need to make sure when you expand the system you system will be able to handle the increase load on the system also..

I would look at the Outback brand inverter/chargers.

I hear a lot of good things about them. With an inverter/charger you will not need a separate battery charger. One nice feature of most inverter/chargers is they will automatically start the generator for you when your batteries need charging.

When I first read your post, I thought what you want to do will not work for any length of time. An inverter would need 170 amps @ 12v to produce 1500w ac.

You need to look at the total system not just the inverter and batteries. If you go to a store looking for information or ask on a forum, you will need the following information if you want it done right the first time.

How much AC power do you really need and for how long?
    How long between recharging the battery?
    How big is your battery charger?
    What is the max amount of money you can spend? You could spend $150 or $1500 on just the inverter.

I think the Trace DR series inverters are the best cabin inverters out there. The DR2412 (2400 watts/12v) has a built-in 120a charger. You'll need about 6KW from the generator to push that charger. Trace makes a 1500w inverter with a smaller charger built in. Great units. The newest version isn't called DR any more, though. AK Battery on Potter carries them. You can do a lot better than golf cart batteries, too. 4 average L-16 batteries in series/parallel will give you about 750 ah of storage. Ask at the battery store. My Trace inverter has automatic switching. No thinking required. If you have more than one generator feeding the cabin you can get an automatic power switch from any RV store. If you go to the trouble of batteries and an inverter, get a 12v distribution/fuse panel and add some low voltage lights. That alone will extend your charge times by quite a bit, and you'll have lights even when you turn the inverter off for the night (they do buzz a little). Then next summer you can add solar, too. Pretty soon your generator won't get used much.

I got a battery bank of six 6v "golf cart" batteries (from Coscto). Got a 85 watt solar panel hooked to them through a small charge controller (converts what the panel has to give to what the batteries need). A 1200 watt Xantrex is connected to the batteries and powers lights, heater fan, radio, tool battery charger, laptop, cell phone, and on some evenings a dvd player and 20 something inch old style TV. That setup gets us through weekend use from April through early/mid September without touching the generator.

Come winter time, a 2000W honda generator powers the cabin and charges the battery bank, through a 45 amp charger, on Sundays to bring the batteries back to near full before we head back to town. In December - January you get nearly nothing from the solar panel. The 6 battery bank is good through the weekend so we only have to hear the generator for a while on Sunday. Don't leave in the winter expecting the solar panel to charge the batteries back up during the week. A discharged flooded lead-acid battery will freeze and break. Charged they won't freeze down to something like 70 below.

have you thought about adding a small wind turbine set up to help with the chargeing of the batties in the winter time..

I have a setup almost identical to NRicks, and I run the generator about the same amount. My 6 golf cart batteries are about 8 years old, and I have no problems with them. I'm very happy!

Are you people using sine wave or modified sine wave inverters?

Modified works fine for me. I've never had a single problem with it.

As I said before: You don't need pure sine wave unless you are running a Toyo(or similar) stove.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I wonder why? The ac is converted to DC for the control circuits would it be possible to add more filtering to solve the problem? I would think Toyo would have fix for the problem? And this is what I found http://www.rural-energy.com/publications/catalog/documents/document-311.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    have you thought about adding a small wind turbine set up to help with the chargeing of the batties in the winter time..
    We're in a low wind area (in between the Talkeetna mts and the Alaska Range. Couple that with being surounded by trees, and cost per watt is just too high. We'd need a tall tower for the turbine which would then sit motionless a lot of the time. A small generator just made more sense for us.

That said, the price of solar panels has been steadily dropping. I can now get a 135 watt panel for less than what I paid for the 85W. I'm planning to add another panel to the system to extend the "shoulder season." All the panels in the world still don't help when there is no sun in December though.

Mine is modified. The only odd thing I notice is the motor on the ceiling fan makes a funny noise when running off the inverter. The fan is almost silent when running on the generator.

There is a big power loss going from DC to AC so I have converted as much as I could to DC all my lighting is LED lights and the fridge runs on AC/DC and propane the well pump is a dc motor I have two huge Toyota fork lift batteries cannot even tell you total power the 5 200 watt panels and the 400 watt wind mill keep them topped off all the time of course this is in Florida, the small house we have built in AK more like a cabin 950 sq FT. is going to have the same set up more or less with the addition of a Kumatsu diesel generator. Try to run as much as you can on DC your batteries will go a lot longer with less drain.
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!

here is the list of the items i have for 110.volt in the place with this units runs off the inverter in the place ..

mircowave oven
    force 10.two burner with oven sailboat stove
    two slice toaster
    ezbreathe machine system for keep the air fresh and moveing from mold and mildrew and moisture set up to help control air in the place
    rv combo washer and dryer unit for laundry
    philips shaver
    spectura floor lamp for SAD
    plus a couple things as they are need here and there ..

the rest of the place is run off dc from the tv and dvd player to fans to a small rv style items .. in the place ..i found out the that running the place with a lot of the dc items is a lot better in the long run ..the rv combo washer and dryer unit is the biggest power draw hog in the bunch of the 110 volt appliances that i have ..

i took a lot of the items from the rv and sailboat crowd to run the system as it need ..

i have one of those inverters AIH sells i believe its a 1000 or 1500 watt modified sine wave and i run my Toyo off it, have been using it for like 3 years now. i do have the toyo plugged into a surge protector also.