Thread: Looking at an Ace line hauler any input

Default Looking at an Ace line hauler any input

Ok so I am looking to buy a crab/shrimp pot puller but dont have the funds for an electradine or similar and dont really want the big davit in the way. So I am looking to buy an Ace line hauler I like the ssize and the money is a little more manageable, if any of you have any input good or bad on these it would be appreciated. Also if anyone has one they want to get rid of let me know thanks
    Tony

Thumbs up Go for it!

I really like mine. Way way better than the buoy pull method I used to use. I have the one that mounts to my cannon downrigger mounts.
    It is a little underpowered when my 4x4 crab pots are really full of crab or when I try to drag a crab pot up that is stuck in the mud. It would have helped I guess if I was directly over the top of the pot though and not pulling at an angle.
    Don't let people bother you about witch puller is best. Yes an E-dyne is way more powerful and all that and the safe-t pullers do good too. The Ace line hauler is just so convient and the price is pretty good.
    If this is in your budget and like you said you just don't have room for a davit I would say go for it.
    Mine has put a lot of seafood in my freezer that I would have otherwise not had. They do have their limits but they are sure better than no puller at all. I have used mine for 2 years without any problems whatsoever. They are available at Trustworthy in Soldotna so you don't need to drive to Anchorage or the valley.
    You might want to try the search feature on here and you will find tons of info on pullers ioncluding the ace.
    Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 10-12-2010 at 08:04. Reason: added info
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I pull my pots with one. 3 pots on each string. 10 pounds of lead weight in each pot, 300 feet of leaded line and 600 feet of floating each. Even with the pots full I have never had a problem pulling them. Granted they are not commercial duty but for recreational purposes they work just great. Plus once you pull the pins they stow really easy and out of the way unlike the others.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I agree withthe above posts. For the recreational shimper/crabber they perform well without investing an arm and a leg. Been using ours for 4 years, no problems. Stows easily, outta the way when your done with it. Couldn't be happier. Fills our freezer every year. Pick one up, I doubt you'll be dissapointed.
    BK

They're slower that other equipment, short on speed. I've not had a terminal problem with power when pulling shrimp or crab pots, but I get tired of the retrieval speed. The on/off switch has literally fallen apart on one occasion but the replacement part was available here. Someone on the forum had obtained a reportedly faster or more powerfull motor but I haven't seen a thread on his experience with this modification. They are handy, easy to store out of the way. I think that it's a trade off...low cost, compact, dependable retriever verse more expensive, powerful, faster, permanently mounted systems. Some of the guys in this forum have made innovations to just about every style and type of puller available. I've seen permanent mount models modified to be stored or left at the dock or turned into davits for pulling their raft. I've had my ACE for three years, it's still pulling up crab and shrimp...when I can find the little bugs. But, if and when the treasury intersects with my aspirations I'm thinking E-dyne.

Like he said, mine was slow. Was better than hand pulling shrimp pots but took a long time to pull up pots from 400ft.

Thanks for the input I think I am going to go and pick one up. I was using the bouy pull method and it took forever I took it real slow after breaking some pots off and it takes about 10 minutes that way for me so speed is not a factor I just dont want to loose any more pots they are getting expensive.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I use an Ace. It will probably still take upwards of 10 minutes to pull a 600 ft string, but way less wear and tear on you, and much easier to coil your line on deck. I've never actually timed how long it takes, but with more than one pot per string, there is a noticeable difference in speed. It only took two trips using the bouy method to convince me that I needed a better way. For the recreational guy, the Ace is more than adequate.

I've already pulled my battery for the winter, but if you want to try before you buy give me a shout. Maybe we can work something out so you can drag something down the driveway.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.