Thread: Shotgun for wife

Default Shotgun for wife

Looking at getting my wife a shotgun for ptarmigan, grouse, rabbits, etc.. Anyone have any suggestions? She is about 5'4". She shot my 870 express 12 guage the other day without being knocked over, but I think that would still be too much for her. I;m thinking a break action, but I am open to pump actions as well.

I have a 870 youth model in a 20 gauge and I really like it. Im the same height and i really enjoy carring that shotgun all day. Ptarmigan are not very tough so it will knock them down. I shot 4 shot out of mine and it works well.

For the type of game you describe I'd look no further than a nice 20 gauge- action of your choice but there are some nice reduced LOP models about. Plenty of medicine for upland critters and recoil isn't near what the 12 is capable of.

You could go to the 28ga but it won't do nearly as much as the 20ga and it kicks nearly as hard. The shells are much higher and harder to find. Everybody makes 20s of every flavor imaginable.

I do agree with the 20 guage. I have looked into 410 and I had one as kid. I just think that there is no room for error with a 410. The shells are also very expensive, almost stupid expensive for that shot that you get.

See thread on Mossberg 510 on Small Game Forum.

Remington 11-87 in 20 gauge "Youth Model" I have one, and I use it in the winter when wearing heavy clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have looked into 410 and I had one as kid. I just think that there is no room for error with a 410. The shells are also very expensive, almost stupid expensive for that shot that you get.
    I've got a .410 and its a fun gun to shoot at clays or let the young'n blaze away with due to lack of recoil. I bought it to haul on the sled for potting ptarmigan and hares during outtings and such but its not something I'd do again.

I've used a .410 a fair bit on critters but I've been dissapointed by performance on game quite a few times. My 20ga is so much more deadly I'll take it over the .410 every time if I need to kill something.

The smaller gauges are just ridiculous price wise...

The biggest problem I have with my kids 410 is finding steel shot to legally hunt with. 12GA (and 20) you get a lot more choice/availability.
    Take a look at the NEF Handi-rifle and Rossi, pretty well price, well made break actions with a good line of youth models.

Alternatively get an 870 or Mossy 500 and put a Knoxx Axiom stock on it to take away some of the recoil.

Oh, okay. I see now. Read the title of the thread and thought you were trading your wife for a shotgun. I already have a wife, but might be interested in the shotgun... :-)

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I just bought a Benelli Nova pump gun, in 20 ga. for my wife. We're both really impressed with it. It's just plain fugly, but light in weight, points well, and operates slicker than Bill Clinton. Looks to be indestructible. I heard from an owner who put 8,000 rounds through his without a problem. It is available in a 'youth model', which might be right for your 5'4" wife. Takedown for cleaning is pretty fool-proof. Wife's last scattergun was a Franchi 620 semi-auto, which proved itself to be a jam-a-matic, if it was not kept squeaky clean.

I'm too "tradition bound" to ever consider giving up my 1949 Ithaca M37, 20 gauge for upland birds, but if I ever get into waterfowl hunting, I'd get myself a Nova in a heartbeat.

Best regards.
    Jeff

My wife has free run of our shotgun rack, and her all time favorite is the Ithica Ultralight in 20 gauge. It's under 6 pounds and a treat to carry and shoot. The Featherlight is available in 28 gauge, but that weighs slightly more. She really likes the bottom eject too.

Woodsman,
    Go to www.shotgunworld.com for information and opinions on just about every make and model ever made. They've got it all covered.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Oh, okay. I see now. Read the title of the thread and thought you were trading your wife for a shotgun. I already have a wife, but might be interested in the shotgun... :-)

-Mike
    LOLOL... had to look twice bc of that

ditto with many on the 20ga being plenty. If she is fairly experienced I would go with a pump, but if she is new to shooting I would go with a gas operated as it will be easier to learn (with some) and the recoil reduction that goes along with it doesn't hurt.
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

Lot of good info in this thread. Definately will be going with a 20 ga. after reading this. I like the looks of the ithica ultralight, but it is way out of my price range. I'm thinking the 870 youth model or the mossburg 510. She is new to shotgun shooting, but she is pretty smart. I think she will pick up the pump action pretty quick. Chance are that I will end up using it more than her, as I only have a 12 right now, which is a little overkill for birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

-Mike
    Dang, I knew someone would beat me to the punch! I like my wife but thought I would at least take a look and see what kind of shotgun was being offered for trade!

Woodman;
    I've got a Winchester 1300 upland special, 20ga. Was my sisters shotgun, before she stopped shooting. Just sitting around my house in the case because I never use it.

Sounds like you've got something in mind, but if you want to take a look or if you're interested PM me. I'll let it go cheap.
    I'm not actively trying to sell it, so no rush man.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Lot of good info in this thread. Definately will be going with a 20 ga. after reading this. I like the looks of the ithica ultralight, but it is way out of my price range. I'm thinking the 870 youth model or the mossburg 510. She is new to shotgun shooting, but she is pretty smart. I think she will pick up the pump action pretty quick. Chance are that I will end up using it more than her, as I only have a 12 right now, which is a little overkill for birds.
    Glad we could help! 870 is a great gun, my wife (5'2) shoots the youth model in 20ga as well and loves it. I can't shoot it for crap because it won't shoulder naturally for me and I end up getting beat to a pulp, which is slightly embarrasing to say the least
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

My wife has a Remington 870 youth model 20gauge and she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Woodman;
    I've got a Winchester 1300 upland special, 20ga. Was my sisters shotgun, before she stopped shooting. Just sitting around my house in the case because I never use it.

Sounds like you've got something in mind, but if you want to take a look or if you're interested PM me. I'll let it go cheap.
    I'm not actively trying to sell it, so no rush man.
    icb, PM sent.