Thread: Lack of snow for trapping

Default Lack of snow for trapping

What has been everyone's experience with a lack of snow when trapping? Has it made a change good or bad or made things more difficult?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

bad for me they dont seem to mind making new trails so you set there tracks and the never come back through.

In my experience, the over all effects due to the lack of snow would depend on what type of set your using (Snare v.s. Foot hold)/(Cubby/Scent Post/blind set/etc) Like akscotty stated, sounds as if he likes setting trails where they travel, and they may have the tendancy to cruise eradically with no snow, but if your in an area where you know critters are, then with Cubby sets and Scent posts, I feel the snow doesnt effect the out come what so ever. Good luck....
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm using snares. I have a few coni's but haven't really used them. Last year was my first year trapping in AK.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Lack of snow is often more an access problem. Snogo's and dog teams need snow/cold to get out.
    It can be difficult to identify animal numbers and locations without snow for tracks.
    If your using baited sets, and are on foot, lack of snow shouldn't be a real problem. For snares, you can always make your own trails to set in. Pruning shears and a saw help alot.
    Except for the access part, there are ways to adapt to lack of snow.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

access isn't a problem. I use my wheeler before the snow builds up and I'm not crossing any rivers so don't need to wait for those to freeze.