Thread: building a meat wagon

A, A

Default building a meat wagon

looking for info on building a meat wagon. i've got the welder, just cant find the harware for anything other than a full size trailer. where can i find a good meat wagon axle, tires, etc. i'm sure there are local places and shops onine, so any info would be appreciated. thanks

eagle river

Try trailor craft or six robbles they both carry the parts to build what you are looking for.

Just tell them what your after, they will give you hubs, bearings, seals, rims, not sure they have tires but an old pair will work just fine. They have 2 different types of spindles, one round and the other square, you will need a piece of material to insert the spindle to make your own axle. I would suggest a piece of 1 1/2" tubing with drop plates on each end to mount your spindle, this will give you more ground clearance. If you choose to go this route I would use the square ended spindles with gussets. They also have the couplers, etc. If I remember correctly it was just under $150 a few years ago for the trailers I built. This didn't include the material for the axle, frame box or tires.

Default homemade trailer

I built a meat wagon out of an old atv axle and Rubbermaid 50 gal feed bucket. got some 1/4 square tube for the frame and had a buddy weld it up for me. its not pretty but it worked great last year out at Chicken. I do think i need to readjust it a little, to rebalance some of the load weight of the tounge ( I set the bucket a little too far forward of the axle) i'll throw up a pic or two later or i can just PM them to ya.

Eagle River (Home!)

Default Tosion Axles

Had one with a set of these axles, great clearance, want to build one myself but moving into new house and been busy.

They probably have them down town too.

Default trailer pics

Its not fancy but its functional. I think i spent about $150 total. $110 for the bucket, $30 in steel and $15 for the hitch. Kind of 'borrowed' the idea for a guy in town who was selling trailers for $500 to $800.