Thread: Media report on Nelchina Caribou BOG vote

Default Media report on Nelchina Caribou BOG vote

"The Alaska Board of Game voted 4-3 Monday to adopt a community harvest hunt for the Nelchina caribou herd. The hunt will consist of three parts: a community harvest hunt, a Tier 1 subsistence permit and a drawing permit. "

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-game-b...,1330445.story
    "Your papers are not in order"

This'll be a can of worms. What happens when 4,500 people apply for a Tier I permit? Probably end up making 13 a draw for moose if everyone must hunt moose in 13 only.

Tim

I'd bet this gets struck down by a lawsuit once again, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I just don't see that there are that many caribou to go around. According to the KTUU story, everybody that applies for a community harvest permit will be awarded one, every family that applies for a Tier I permit will get one per family (but must only hunt moose and caribou in 13), and they still expect to be able to give out up to 3,000 drawing permits (per the story)? Huh.

I just don't see that happening. I wonder what the 3 in dissent would have liked to see or what their objections were to this arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I just don't see that there are that many caribou to go around..
    Anybody know Nelchina population numbers off the top of their head?

Combined with the Fed permits, that's a lot of 'bou tags!

how is this different from the lawsuit settlement from earlier this year? once again it seems that they are giving away allocation of resources against the attorney general's advice.

Latest estimate put it at ~45,000 animals. The management objective is 35k to 40k.

It's like they might have met in the middle. They appease subsistence, tier 1 and have a drawing too. I find this problematic due to the fact they still gave away a portion of the herd to a special group. Carve up our resources and then allocate them to certain populations? The Feds due that, the state should not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Set a precedent and wait till the next group see's an opening. STUPID!!!!!!!!

BTW, there will be approximately 5000 tier two permits issued this year. The target is to cull 3000 head.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post

BTW, there will be approximately 5000 tier two permits issued this year. The target is to cull 3000 head.
    Did they announce that at the meeting? Selfishly speaking, I like those numbers.

When are the alleged 5000 permits supposed to awarded?

Anybody else noticing that certain pages on the ADF&G website are not available?

Default dissenting views

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I just don't see that happening. I wonder what the 3 in dissent would have liked to see or what their objections were to this arrangement.
    I too would like to see this. How can we?

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Anybody else noticing that certain pages on the ADF&G website are not available?
    They have been unavailable since I started this thread 4+ hours ago---not that there is any cause or effect in play...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

answer... ( god i am tired after driving home)

no votes

Cliff J

Teresa segar alba

Lou Bradly.

Cliff wanted limit of 2 on tier on...

Teresa wanted the PLAN/ guidelines and requirements in writing before voting so that it was SURE not to slap them she gave them a GOOD alternative and was shot down... made it possible to table the CHP until after the Ahtna case was herd in court... TED PUSHED this through and threw a tantrum on the record when told the AT gen... recommended NO action on this until after the case was done.

Lou did not like the CHP plan Ted had prepared PRIOR to the meeting.

Ted had Ben on board prior to meeting also. Stosh and Nate followed ted...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

jwolf

"Next time bring a "friend."

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    answer... ( god i am tired after driving home)

no votes

Cliff J

Teresa segar alba

Lou Bradly.

Cliff wanted limit of 2 on tier on...

Teresa wanted the PLAN/ guidelines and requirements in writing before voting so that it was SURE not to slap them she gave them a GOOD alternative and was shot down... made it possible to table the CHP until after the Ahtna case was herd in court... TED PUSHED this through and threw a tantrum on the record when told the AT gen... recommended NO action on this until after the case was done.

Lou did not like the CHP plan Ted had prepared PRIOR to the meeting.

Ted had Ben on board prior to meeting also. Stosh and Nate followed ted...

To those wanting to know how I knew there would be 5000 permits given out, I asked the bio while at the meeting this weekend. She said the department would list the winners after they got their ducks in a row, which means she is not sure either when it will be put out there. She did say hopefully before the season opened!!! Go figure
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    She did say hopefully before the season opened!!! Go figure
    Ha! I wonder how they'll deal with permit distribution if the permits come out right before the opener. Pick them up in person? Print them off their website?? Sounds like the folks at the front desk will be busy again.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
    "Next time bring a "friend."
    i did.... maybe you didn't just get a glimps of them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here