Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing salmon egg residue from boats

Default Removing salmon egg residue from boats

I have noticed that it is nearly impossible to get salmon egg residue off of my jon boat.

Short of sandpaper and touch up paint, does anyone have a good method of dissolving dried salmon egg residue?

Thanks in advance.

Be glad it isn't herring eggs.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Be glad it isn't herring eggs.
    LOL I was gonna say, if it was herring eggs leave it out for the flies to clean Togiak style

Well, soak it in water so it reconsitiutes, power wash off what you can, then hit it with Tilex mold and mildew. Tilex is a mix of bleach and lye and will eat anything organic so it should eat that too.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Roe residue gives character to boats. Think of it as a protectant.

Depends on where they are.

I had a bunch of salmon eggs / slime in the bottom of my Jon boat. I put the drain plugs in, fill the bottom up with soapy water from a car wash, dumped a gallon of Citra clean in and drove around town for 30 minutes looking for stop and go traffic.

Went back to the car wash, pulled the plugs and went after it with the high pressure hose.

Seemed to work pretty well.

There is some stuff called 'goo gone' as well as other similar products that works if it is still fresh.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    There is some stuff called 'goo gone' as well as other similar products that works if it is still fresh.
    goo gone? I went in and asked the pharmacist where I could find that and he raised his eyebrows and pointed me to the feminine hygiene aisle

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    LOL I was gonna say, if it was herring eggs leave it out for the flies to clean Togiak style
    I never tried that.
    In San Fran Bay after herring season we would just break out the belt sanders and smooth them out some before repainting.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    goo gone? I went in and asked the pharmacist where I could find that and he raised his eyebrows and pointed me to the feminine hygiene aisle
    Yiiikes I was talking about this stuff. Attachment 40454
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Oxy clean, hot water mix. Wash it like you would a car, but don't rinse it off for awhile wait until it is almost dry. Oxy eats stuff so do not forget to rinse it good, repeat process hundred times if necessary.

Thanks for all of the tips. I will give a few a try and see what happens. I have found that the best way to get salmon eggs off of the boat is to not let them get there in the first place by wiping them off when fresh. But family and friends seem content to slap them on the sides of the boat and grind them into the floor and seats.

The tip of "repeat process hundred times if necessary" is likely the one that works best, YIKES.

What works best for me is Dawn dish soap or Oil Eater from Costco. Apply, wait a while, spray with water. In both cases I assume its the de-greaser that does the job. Roe residue will etch an unpainted boat and leave a spot after you get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by bobshem View Post
    I have noticed that it is nearly impossible to get salmon egg residue off of my jon boat.

Short of sandpaper and touch up paint, does anyone have a good method of dissolving dried salmon egg residue?

Thanks in advance.
    A solution of warm water, vinegar & dishsoap seems to work very well. I've tried just warm water & dishsoap in the past but the addition of the vinegar seems to make a noticeable difference.

I was going to say sand blasting.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Walmart carries a degreaser called purple power. I buy it in a 1 gallon jug that will take off anything. I keep one spray bottle about 75% (1 cup to 4 cups water diluted to clean just about anything. I don't recommend keeping it strait in a spray bottle as your trigger spray may stop functioning, nor would I leave strait purple power on anything too long or let it dry for that manner. This stuff is strong. I've used it to clean dried crap on the boat before. Works well. I usually don't allow any mess on the boat to go without attention very long as I keep several wet rags on the boat, but every once in a while a guest or wife forgets boat protocol. And if you have a surface that is smooth and not rough textured, a Majic Eraser works miracles!

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Walmart carries a degreaser called purple power. I buy it in a 1 gallon jug that will take off anything. I keep one spray bottle about 75% (1 cup to 4 cups water diluted to clean just about anything. I don't recommend keeping it strait in a spray bottle as your trigger spray may stop functioning, nor would I leave strait purple power on anything too long or let it dry for that manner. This stuff is strong. I've used it to clean dried crap on the boat before. Works well. I usually don't allow any mess on the boat to go without attention very long as I keep several wet rags on the boat, but every once in a while a guest or wife forgets boat protocol. And if you have a surface that is smooth and not rough textured, a Majic Eraser works miracles!
    This is good stuff but be careful; the purple stuff. Test a small spot first to see if it mars the surface. The aluminum rub rail on my C dory didnít fare so well but it worked great on any of the fiberglass surfaces and really cleans tires and wheels. Spray it on and pressure wash it off. A 50/50 dilution usually does the trick.
    It was about the only thing that would take herring oil off the deck in my cockpit, that stuff is nasty!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Sayak has it right...dont worry about it. if you live life worrying about dings, scrapes and discolorations you will end up being frustrated, disappointed, and difficult to be around. Use the hell out of what you own, service it right but don't worry about stuff that doesn't make it run better...just my two cents...

We have always used Lemon Joy and a good scrub brush and some elbow grease.

Quote Originally Posted by bobshem View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Can't remember the name of the stuff, but butcher supply shops sell an "enzyme" cleaner designed specifically to knock off such stuff. Spray a little on and let it sit about 10 minutes, and wipe off the old eggs like they're fresh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast