Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter in Seward? July30-Aug 6

Default Charter in Seward? July30-Aug 6

Hello,

My buddy and I will be heading to Alaska at the end of July and am looking for a good charter company to go fishing with. We've checked the major ones but they all have raised their prices. Does anyone have any to recommend? Reasonably priced and are good captains?

Also, we've planned on fishing on a few other charters out of homer but will have 3-4 free fishing days to fish ourselves.

In seward, we're thinking about the beach in front of the salt water lodge, has anyone fished there and if so any tip on lures or bait and setup would be much appreciated.

We're also going to be staying in calm gulch for a few days and have 3 self fishing days. Any advice on where to go fishing? kenai river and russian river? What tackle works best and how to setup for these type of fishing?

Honestly, would you guys say that a couple of guys can easily catch a few fish a day or is it relatively hard?

I've always thought that it would be easy to catch fishing in alaska but after reading a few reports, it appears that it's not easy fishing. Hope you guys can provide some tips and advices since this will be our first trip.

If anyone lives near seard, or russian river and would like to go fishing let me know and we can meet up. I fish the delta and bay in california, so if anyone has any questions, let me know and I will try to help you out.

Thanks!

Are you going for halibut? if so I would reccomend Ninilchick Saltwater Adventures out of Ninilchick or Anchor Point. I went with them twice and they really give you your moneys worth. We threw back some pretty nice fish and only kept big ones. As for Seward, If you are going for Salmon I can not reccomend any salmon charters in seward. I went twice on a Salmon charter in Seward and I will never do it again. They take 6 people but they can only fish 4 rods so you take turns fishing. Thats B.S. I am sure that they dont all operate like that but be sure to ask before you give them a deposit. Some of the boats take 12 or more people doesent look like much fun to me. As for halibut, I think that most of the charters out of Ninilchik and Anchor point are pretty good. If you want to send me an e-mail I will send you some brochures when I go to the Sportsman show in March.
    Good luck and good fishing

try going with capt. steve with pro fish and sea charters they did really well last season with all types of fish. I have a private boat down there so I see all of the catches being brought back to the docks and he caught bigge rfish than anyone last year. His website is www.profish-n-sea.com. You can look at his archives and it will show you what he caught every day on his two boats. Another one is saltwater safari. Been there the longest and does good work.

who did uyou go with out of seward? most 6 pack charters fish all six. Even the bigger boats (8-18 people) fish all ay once. Seward is the best silver fishing in south central, so I would say that you did get screwed.

Yeah I've checked the few recommended charters and they either do not have the date i want or is going for species that I'm not looking for.. might end up going with puffin.. lady sounded really nice.. anyone gone out with puffin??

Default Seward Fishing

Puffin's Captain has been fishing in Seward for a long time and Pro-Fish-n-Sea is a top notch operation as well. Have you been to Seward's web site, yet? www.seward.com They list a number of charter companies that are members of the local chamber/CVB. Most have links to their own websites. Late July should be perfect timing for the first run of silvers.

Default fish

Try Wild Willy out of seward. The have a real nice boat and are husband and wife team, real nice people . We fished first week of Aug with them and did well for silvers although it was slow right then. We stayed at the salt water lodge, it was very nice. the owners there also run fishing and fiords tours. the fishing in front of the lodge can be good on the incoming tide for salmon. Throw spinners in orange or chartruese. Take a hike out to Tonsina creek on the Caines head trail. Pink salmon were thick at the mouth last year , however , this will not be an even number year for pinks. they are fun to catch but I am told they are not for the table unless chrome bright. again spinners # 3 or #4 will do the trick. down near Homer you can fish the Anchor river on your own, it is a little early for silvers there but they can be had. we went with Capt. pete for halibut and did excellent. He has a website. If you get a chance head up the parks highway fish the mouth of Montana creek on the Sustina or get a dropoff at Clear creek on the Talkeetna river. do not worry , if you plan right and ask questions you will find all the fish you want on your own. you may be fishing in what they call combat conditions but i found it not to be a problem. My wife daughter and I caught salmon and halibut until our arms ached. Alaska can be done on your own and be the fishing that dreams are made of.

Puffin charters has a good operation and they have a real nice boat ( identical to the "pursuit" Pro fish and sea charters ).

We booked through Charter Option. I don't remember the name of the boat but it was a 28' Bertram. I did not intend to dis the charters out of Seward because I am sure that many of the charter captians work very hard to give you your moneys worth. Its the few that only care about the money that make the rest look bad. The halibut charter that we took out of Ninilchik Was great. we caught some really nice fish and the whole boat limited.

the problem with going through charter option is that they book several boats and you don't who you're going with, they are just trying to fill boats. it's hit and miss I just know the companies I've mentioned all have great reps with good service and they produce

Another thumbs up for Steve Zernia on the Pro-fish-n-sea. Excellent charter operation.

Try the fish house.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by STR8SHTR View Post
    Try Wild Willy out of seward. The have a real nice boat and are husband and wife team, real nice people . We fished first week of Aug with them and did well for silvers although it was slow right then. We stayed at the salt water lodge, it was very nice. the owners there also run fishing and fiords tours. the fishing in front of the lodge can be good on the incoming tide for salmon. Throw spinners in orange or chartruese. Take a hike out to Tonsina creek on the Caines head trail. Pink salmon were thick at the mouth last year , however , this will not be an even number year for pinks. they are fun to catch but I am told they are not for the table unless chrome bright. again spinners # 3 or #4 will do the trick. down near Homer you can fish the Anchor river on your own, it is a little early for silvers there but they can be had. we went with Capt. pete for halibut and did excellent. He has a website. If you get a chance head up the parks highway fish the mouth of Montana creek on the Sustina or get a dropoff at Clear creek on the Talkeetna river. do not worry , if you plan right and ask questions you will find all the fish you want on your own. you may be fishing in what they call combat conditions but i found it not to be a problem. My wife daughter and I caught salmon and halibut until our arms ached. Alaska can be done on your own and be the fishing that dreams are made of.
    Thanks for the information everyone.

Str8ter, Do you happen to have the website or number to Wild Wily? I found nothing online.

I will be staying at the saltwater lodge as well, in the smaller cabin. I'm leaning towards puffin charter since the lady was really nice and they come highly recommended. They have a 12, 10 and 6 person boat.. I want comfort.. but i think the 6 person boat for a combo trip is better because we would get limits faster then we can spend more time for other species. It will take forever if we're on a 12 person boat.

I truly hope to be able to catch fish on my own becuase I've heard so much about fishing in alaska. I will try my luck in front of the lodge but I heard that the silver will not be near the beach on july 30 and 31. Are there other species? Do I need waders to get out there to cast far? I can't really cast a spinner too far so I would imagine that the fish will have to be thick and on the beach right? Any area around there that hold fish you can guide me to? I don;t care whether they are silver or red.

I will have 3 days in clam gulch to do some self fishing. I would love to find a place that is not too crowded, but I won;t mind a crowded place if there are fishes. Any idea where I might try? The lodge i'm staying at, the guy says he has a friend that has a private shore that i can fish for 10-20 bucks.. so that's an option. How about the russian and kenai? I will probably need directions to get there as i'm sure the rivers are ho big that I won;t know where is where lol..

Thanks for everyones help! Greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    Are you going for halibut? if so I would reccomend Ninilchick Saltwater Adventures out of Ninilchick or Anchor Point. I went with them twice and they really give you your moneys worth. We threw back some pretty nice fish and only kept big ones. As for Seward, If you are going for Salmon I can not reccomend any salmon charters in seward. I went twice on a Salmon charter in Seward and I will never do it again. They take 6 people but they can only fish 4 rods so you take turns fishing. Thats B.S. I am sure that they dont all operate like that but be sure to ask before you give them a deposit. Some of the boats take 12 or more people doesent look like much fun to me. As for halibut, I think that most of the charters out of Ninilchik and Anchor point are pretty good. If you want to send me an e-mail I will send you some brochures when I go to the Sportsman show in March.
    Good luck and good fishing
    I was thinking about a trip with them as well. How is the combo fishing in ninilchik? I'm getting mixed opininions.. The seward charters are questioning why I would want to go out of ninilchik when i can basically go out of seward and catch all species. They also said that end of julky and begin of august is not a good time for silver.. i will get halibut and maybe 1 silver. Basically they claim that silver fishing is horrible. lol.. are they telling the truth or just trying to get my business? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Puffin charters has a good operation and they have a real nice boat ( identical to the "pursuit" Pro fish and sea charters ).
    I wanted to go with puffin.. the lady was real nice. But the date I want is fully booked july 31.. she recommended Seward Adventure Charters with cap. James.. anyone fish on this one?
    Alternatively i can switch my days around and go on the puffin on 8-1.
    I want to go on the 6 pack vs. 12 pack because the less people that we have to wait it catch limit the more fish we can catch? But the 6pack boat is much smaller, would it be comfortable enough?

Default fishin

Check with the people at Saltwater lodge, they know the owner of the wild willy. Ill see if I can find their card. at the lodge , down to the left near the pier is a good spot. you will catch fish from the beach the first week of Aug. but it is not prime. Pinks run mostly on even number years but I would still check out Tonsinia creek. it a 1 1/2 mile hike and you will come to a little piece of heaven , fish, bears( black) and eagles and be mostly alone. Fish the incoming tide. there are also chum salmon there. you must be casting into saltwater anywhere in Ressuraction bay. you are a little early for salmon in Seward and Homer/ Ninilchik but they can be found. Deep creek and Anchor should have some fish, check local tackle shops. you could also hit the Fishin Hole on the Homer Spit there will be some silvers in there at high tide. the Russian could be gettin a good run of Reds, stay away on weekends but should be able to getin there on a weekday. You have to park at the campground and hike to fishing. It can be hard to get into the campground if the fishing is hot. Be careful of brown bears on the Russian.

Default Seward Adventure Charters

Seward Adventure Charters is a newer charter but he has a nice boat and an expereinced captain. You will catch fish with him and have a good time.

Good luck

I really don't think there's a big difference in a six pack and 8-10 people, it's when you get on 50' delta or soething along those line with 14-18 people. It's hard enough to find 12 good halibut much less 36. I don't know of that other capt. and his boat that the gal from puffin charters redamended, but on thing I would look into is his vessel. Pro fish and sea charters boat is a 36-or 34 foot fiber craft (only 2 like it up there puffin charters has the other one) and he can handle some snot in that boat. Another thing that I would stay away from is alluminum boats. They are very cold and noisy, and ride like crap ( with the exception of the phantom and 5 hole which are both cats.). Silvarado charters has a cat and runs 8-10 people on it, his name is Jeff Barney.There is also another guy named Matt who books out of Saltwater Safari who has one of the nicest boats in the harbor and goes after hogs . good luck and try those guys out oo there boats fly.

Look up seastar charter he not the biggest boat in the harbor but man he does one hell of a job. He can take 4 to 6 people if you go with him it will be a good time just tell chris watchus refered you hell get a kick out of that.

www.whitebearcharters.net I work with him in the winter, he will bust his tail for you, my dad and his friends went out with him last year and had a great time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast