Thread: How to wash a sleeping bag?

Default How to wash a sleeping bag?

I have a fairly large sleeping bag that is over due for a washing; howevr, there is no way it will fit into my washing machine. How do you get yours cleaned?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    I have a fairly large sleeping bag that is over due for a washing; howevr, there is no way it will fit into my washing machine. How do you get yours cleaned?

Thanks,
    Commercial laundromat machine or dry cleaners would be your best option.

A big capacity front loading machine at a laundromat is inexpensive but a little inconvenient. A commercial laundry service is convenient but relatively expensive. Check your bag tags about dry cleaning. Mine say "do not dry clean". You can buy special detergents. I use regular laundry detergent from home but it must be unscented. I hate fruity smelling laundry. A fruity smelling sleeping bag is worse. if you choose the laundromat make sure to allow plenty of time and better yet do it during their slow time. You need to dry on low heat for a long time. You'll be tying up a dryer for a couple of cycles.

Check the car tag on the bag. Some you can machine wash and king is right, the commercial machines in laundimats will be big enough. The bag may require dry cleaning so check before putting in the machine.

I agree with what has been said already, except I have always used mild detergent that's made for washing sleeping bags or synhetic clothing. Most manufacturers recommend using mild soap, which can be found at Barney's or REI.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Thanks, I can't tell you how many times I've told my wife, "When in doubt, read the instructions". Then, I go ahead and forget to follow my own advise. It never occured to me to look at the tag. Oops.

Sportwash, by Atsko, Inc. is what you're looking for!

Alaskan, you left out ONE vendor! ;-)

Taylor

I like the sportwash too but have used woolite in the past. With down you have to be extremely careful (mebbe the new ones are better).

I use the washingmachine with old bags, but my newer ones (and especially my down bags) get washed in the bathtub by hand.

To avoid many washings - I use sleeping bag fleece liners from wallmart - they are cheap and effective at keeping the inside of my bags much cleaner.

With down, you can rip the seams that separate the down (to keep from clumping) if you get it soaked and try to pick it up....I haven't accomplished that yet and never intend to try.

Default apology

Sorry Marc, but every time I look at your avatar picture I try to forget
    Folks get your sportwash at Wiggy's Alaska!
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa